Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Paris, a new thread

So, what's going here now?
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

can anybody recommend some affordable places to stay?

What's affordable? Just rent one of those tiny studios and be done with it.
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

long time no see...

a friend of mine is moving to paris. She'll stay there for about six months.
    So if someone needs a housesitter, or knows someone who wants to subrent his place, i would be very happy to hear from you.

the budget is 600 euro-ish, she's a nice and sweet young, pretty french/german gal with good manors

thank you!
    Lisa.

wanted to give reviving this thread another shot. i just got to paris a few weeks ago for study abroad, and i was reading through this and the old paris thread for recommendations on what to do/see/eat/etc here, but i've run into quite a few things that have closed since they were posted here.

any more up to date recommendations? i'm open to pretty much anything you've got to throw at me, but i'm especially interested in food (all sorts), shopping, museums, music, etc. thanks in advance!

Bob's Kitchen is a fantastic vegetarian place for lunch.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

At les Arts Décoratif (near Le louvre) there is an exhibition of Hussein Chalayan. The exhibition will stop in november.

thanks, guys. i saw an ad for the chalayan exhibit the other day, knew i'd have to see it. been browsing all the old paris threads and shopping threads, but doesn't really seem like stores have been updated in a while. anywhere new i should know about? also looking for somewhere stocking more japanese designers, but so far no luck. maybe someone knows a place?

Well, CdG and Yohji have dedicated boutiques. Since L'Eclaireur has a chokehold on independent Paris retail, the whole scene is fucked.

Although I hear there is a new little store opening in the Marais, but don't remember the name.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Quote Originally Posted by Faust View Post
    Although I hear there is a new little store opening in the Marais, but don't remember the name.
    kamille?

is it actually going to open? i've heard conflicting reports.

Any news on the Damir pop up store that was going to be an interim solution until the new space is ready?
    Quote Originally Posted by eat me View Post
    If you can't see the work past the fucking taped seams , cold dye wash or raw hems - perhaps you shouldn't really be looking at all.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeNouveau View Post
    is it actually going to open? i've heard conflicting reports.
    what do you mean? kamille, rue saintonge, has opened a long time ago. maybe you think of another store...

Don't remember the name, BSR, could be that. Run by some Russian kid I heard.

Sshum, Damir's space is at L'Eclaireur - don't remember which one.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Its the one thats rue de sévigné

Quote Originally Posted by Faust View Post
    Don't remember the name, BSR, could be that. Run by some Russian kid I heard.

Sshum, Damir's space is at L'Eclaireur - don't remember which one.
    Damir: actually it is a space on its own, but it's next to the rue de sévigné (women) store.

Kamille is run by Kamille, and is stocking among other things Lost&Found, Indy Sents, Forme d'Expression, and bits of MA+ (shoes/bags/wallets). It's a unisex store. Last time I've been there I did not stay long because of the music but some people might like it. And it is nice to have alternatives to l'Eclaireur for sure, Hadida's empire will collapse when he'll pass the power to his kids, I can feel that...

there's a damir doma shop going in next to cdg. is this old news?

BSR, I was replying to Faust's comment, not confirming that Kamille is the store I thought he was referring to. How long has Kamille been open? I've never heard of it.

i saw kamille listed on indiv sent's website as their only french stockist, was planning on stopping by this weekend maybe. besides the music, was it a good stuff? even in the little amount of time i've been here, i have noticed the l'eclaireur chokehold, like you said, faust. definitely very strange coming from new york, where saturation is the key word.

took advice from this thread a few pages back and went to higuma for dinner tonight - fantastic. many thanks for the good recs, guys.

edit: also realized, anyone know of a good barber shop or somewhere i can get my hair cut?
    Last edited by Wiggles; 09-22-2011 at 06:30 PM.

Sorry to dig up this old thread.

i'll be hitting paris on the 14th January. intending to stay for about 10days to 2 weeks. haven't really decided when i will leave. Will be going over to london after that, everything is pretty much free & easy since i have an open ticket.

looking for accommodation on parisattitude, looking to rent a small studio, will be staying alone.

just want to ask, how do the arrondissements differ? which are the ones to avoid or which ones are recommended? would prefer somewhere more authentic. don't want to end up smack in some 'chinatown' area.

thanks for any help in advance.

i did a quick search and i found the following 'to avoid' places. again, I'm not sure how true it is, would appreciate any help.

* HBM Aubervilliers (Paris 18)
    * HBM Ménilmontant (Paris 20)
    * La Goutte d'Or (Paris 18)

* Porte Saint Denis, Porte Saint Martin (Paris 10)
    * Fontaine au Roi (Paris 11)
    * Porte de Saint Ouen, Porte de Clichy (Paris 17)
    * Porte de Montmartre (Paris 18)
    * Curial, Cambrai, Alphonse Karr (Paris 19)
    * Belleville (Paris 20)

edit: been reading some bad reviews about parisattitude. anyone knows or can recommend a site for accommodation renting? looking at apartofparis and parisperfect
    Last edited by nictan; 12-18-2011 at 02:28 AM.