Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Paris, a new thread

I've used parisattitude and it worked fine. its just an agency, so everything depends on the apartment and who is actually renting it.

location, well, depends on how central you want to be?
    "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

lowrey will hook you up with some hooker-friendly areas.
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

yessir. let me know if you prefer young or 60 and above. I can only help with the latter.
    "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

I used Parisaddress for the 1st time this year and it was great. The other booking agency I've used is A La Carte Paris. The properties represented by both were accurate as to how they were described.

I'm sure everyone will have their favorite areas to stay in - I prefer to be central as I tend to walk everywhere or bike using Velib. I love the vibe of the Marais (3&4), which is where I end up. Friends of mine like St. Germain (6). 1&2 are nice as well but I've known less people who have stayed in apts in those arrondissments.

Quote Originally Posted by nictan View Post
    Sorry to dig up this old thread.

i'll be hitting paris on the 14th January. intending to stay for about 10days to 2 weeks. haven't really decided when i will leave. Will be going over to london after that, everything is pretty much free & easy since i have an open ticket.

looking for accommodation on parisattitude, looking to rent a small studio, will be staying alone.

just want to ask, how do the arrondissements differ? which are the ones to avoid or which ones are recommended? would prefer somewhere more authentic. don't want to end up smack in some 'chinatown' area.

thanks for any help in advance.
    Quote Originally Posted by eat me View Post
    If you can't see the work past the fucking taped seams , cold dye wash or raw hems - perhaps you shouldn't really be looking at all.

I've used basically all of them, but airbnb.com is now my go to. I always stay in the marais out of convenience and general never have any need to step foot in any of the outer circle arrondissements.

yup. found out about airbnb and have already contacted a couple that I'm interested in. currently looking at the marais area as well.

thanks all for the suggestions :)

p.s. young would be good.

XXème arrondissement is quiet nice to stay. i live here for a bit more than a year now. affordable rent ( well.. based on paris prices ), close to most of the big shopping places ( 10 min velib - bus - subway from le marais for exemple ) . plus, there is a bunch of places where you can eat and get drunk for cheap..

should be staying in area between 10th and 3rd. found one i reallyyyyy like. :) will be there mid to late jan for 2 weeks.

As usual, our apartment fell through. Looking for a 2-bedroom (minimum) in le marais or 2eme if anyone knows of anything.

+1 for airbnb and the marais most chill area to stay for sure start your day with a juicy l'As du fallafel and you're good. theres a consignment shop called alternatives on rue du Roi de Sicile in the area that can be worth a quick peek like any consignment a bit hit or miss but generally lots of yohji ann etc

who has falafel for breakfast?
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

aha well i get the shawarma, fallafels are gross, and if im paris probably wont be rolling out of bed on time for a regular breakfast anytime soon so it works out good.

Please hit me up with some recommendations (preferably in the Marais and near) for:

Restaurants: - good, honest French food - nothing too fancy and not too expensive.
    Restaurants: - vegetarian, vegetarian friendly (So far loved Bob's Kitchens, not crazy about Soy Cantine)
    Restaurants: Good, inexpensive lunch. (Breizh is a stalwart)
    Shops: Food
    Shops: Coffee (by the way, Kookabuura in Monmartre is best coffee I've ever had)
    Shops: Pastry
    Shops: Chocolate
    Bars: casual and friendly, not too loud

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Quote Originally Posted by Faust View Post
    Please hit me up with some recommendations (preferably in the Marais and near) for:

Restaurants: - good, honest French food - nothing too fancy and not too expensive.
    In not in Marais..but near : http://www.maisonperet.com/

Very good, very French ( also not frozen food,and not micorwave)..25/30 euros x person...
    SEEKING SELECTIVE REASERCH

Thank you. No other replies - I think Parisians hate their own city.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

We can't afford to eat.

(except kebabs ofc)
    Last edited by BBYY; 03-06-2012 at 05:41 PM.

My Paris (I'm boring, and I haven't lived there since 2005:

I love lunch at about 4 different places in La Marchee Des Enfant Rouge

As Mike said, La Perle is always good to start. When I lived in the 13eme, I used to go to this small bar called La Folies en Tete. Nothing amazing...but no one spoke english, including the staff, and I liked that.

I hate Bastille.

The best Baguette I could find was on Rue Wurtz in the 13eme at Laurent Ducheme...I think. On that note...NEVER buy bread at Monoprix or Franprix...even though it's centimes on the Euro...GARBAGE.

Best mainsteam theater is the MK2 at BNF...all of the seats are loveseats, which is ace if you've got a hot date.

Museums...I stay away from most...but I love the Jeu de Pomme near Tuilleries.

Touristy shit: The ONLY things I really like to do is got to Ste Chapelle EVERY time I'm in town. The upper chapel blows me away. Buttes Chaumont is vraiment incroyable. And I always take the Abbessess metro strop and skip the lift, and take the endless spiral staircase to the exit. I like to see the Corbusier Pavillions at Cite Universitaire, or if you've the time take the train to Poissy and see the REAL corbusier oeuvre.

Shopping: Duh.

Walking about: Sadly, I'm forced to stay on the busier streets, due to the nature of my profession...so our opinions may vary.

On warm nights, however, I like a bottle of wine on the point of the Ile Vache, or sitting on the stairs of BnF.

For Chocolate : 14eme "ARTISAN BOULANGER PATISSIER" , 13 RUE DAGUERRE.
    SEEKING SELECTIVE REASERCH

On a side note: I'll be in Paris from 28-Feb --> 7 March, if any SZ'ers want to meet up. I'd love to take some photos for 21Arrondissement.com

paris chocolate
    friends of ours brought some stuff over from Sadaharu Aoki, 35 Rue de Vaugirard, in the 6th

don't know price point, but some of the best chocolate I've had in a long time, beautiful presentation as well

restaurant
    les enfants perdu, 9 Rue des Récollets, I would place them a little above moderate, dinner for two (apps & entrees + one drink each) came to about €85, but good french food... a little innovative

Good place in the 20th I will post if I can find the name, probably more in line with what you are looking for and not as expensive