X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Zenith
    • Jun 2009

Originally posted by xeraphim View Post
    speaking of hakkasan, have any of you been to hkk yet?
    The quality of the cooking is sublime in HKK and far exceeds anything that Hakkasan and Yautcha can prepare. That being said the location is a little sterile and lacks the flair of the former two. Also cocktail selection is a little anaemic if you prefer that to wine.

I second Koya, not Koya bar, all the creativity is happening at the original site. Kanada-Ya for Ramen if you are willing to wait a long time, it's bizarre how disappointing Ippudo was in London opposite, I remembered New Yorks being incredible.

Antidote wine bar and restaurant does great no frills food

I would have swapped Heston for the other most popular tourist destination, the Ledbury, or Dabbous

Assuming you haven't been to any of Atherton restaurants in Asia, I would definitely recommend one of the social chain, Social eating house being my favourite (and the Blind Pig upstairs is easily one of the best bars in central London without spilling over into Artesian bar prices, can get very busy though.)

Comment

• dji
      • Feb 2008

thanks for the discussion guys, seems like some great recommendations there! tried to get a reservation for The Ledbury but they were completely booked out for lunch and dinner till early December..

how drawn out is the tasting menu at The Clove Club? Lyle's looks nice but 2 hour+ tasting menus tend to try one's patience after a while.

Hakkasan looks fancy but the missus is Cantonese and objects to the idea of yum cha that's £50+ per head. has anyone tried Pearl Liang in Paddington for dim sum or can recommend anywhere else that's good? good chicken feet are a must.

so Kanada-Ya is the place to get one's fix of pork fat, sodium and carbs?

Comment

• Zenith
        • Jun 2009

Depends on what type of Dim sum you are looking for. Pearl Liang is 10 minutes away from me I've been quite a few times usually very nice. They also have a reduced selection evening menu at inflated prices. Plum Valley in chinatown do a cheaper riff on the Hakkasan styled Dim Sum, not authentic at all but always good and served all day. I've always had a soft spot for golden pagoda, also in china town. Princess Garden near selfridges also excellent (no siu long bao though). The texture of chicken feet bothers me so I can't comment on them sadly.

Comment

• dji
          • Feb 2008

thanks Zenith! also forgot to ask if there's any recommendations for brunch.

Comment

• jumpoff
            • Jan 2008

^

Ottolenghi and Honey&Co for middle eastern.

Hawksmoor Guildhall for meat

Delaunay or Wolseley for the classic grand café style

Two very good coffee places that also serve good breakfast/brunch are Allpress and Workshop.

Comment

• dji
              • Feb 2008

cheers jumpoff, I can't say no to good shakshuka and merguez!

Comment

• dji
                • Feb 2008

when does the first round of markdowns usually hit stores in London?

Comment

• Faust
                  kitsch killer
                  • Sep 2006

Got an email from LN-CC 5 minutes ago about 25% off, not sure if it helps you at all, I guess not. But, usually not until much later in the season than in the States, so buy now.
                  Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• radio-aktivität
                    • Jan 2011

If I recall correctly, Hostem have a separate room for their sales (downstairs, to the left, behind the desk) the entire year. At least that was the case every time I’ve been to L (mid Jan, mid Feb and mid May) and visiting.

I also liked the area. There’s a really good artbook shop nearby (bookartbookshop, Pitfield Street), if you’re into such, and Æsop just across the street.

Comment

• dji
                      • Feb 2008

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                      Got an email from LN-CC 5 minutes ago about 25% off, not sure if it helps you at all, I guess not. But, usually not until much later in the season than in the States, so buy now.
                      ditto, hence the query. there's nothing in particular I'm interested in this season anyway, I just enjoy checking out the stores' buys and handling the pieces.

Comment

• Dreavan
                        • Mar 2012

Haha amazing to see this thread. I went back from London and Berlin a week ago and I fell in love with London.

The best city I went to for a random walkthrough. Everything looks amazing and anywhere you look, you'll find an amazing building or an old monument + the city is very clean ... compared to Paris -__-

My favorites spots were London Bridge, Buckingham Palace (Green Garden!!!), the Regent's Park where I fed some squirrels with nuts which is an impossible experience in France. I also loved Trafalgar Square, Leicester Square and the whole area of Soho.

I went to Charing Cross, Lambeth Palace, Vauxhall, Camden Town (loved it) and other spots and got to say that it's easy to find various places and atmospheres in London. Very charming city, I'm looking forward finding a position there and move from Paris.

By the way a McFlurry is only 0.99£ ... It's 3.20€ in France.

Comment

• mrbeuys
                          • May 2008

Originally posted by Dreavan View Post
                          My favorites spots were London Bridge, Buckingham Palace (Green Garden!!!), the Regent's Park ...
                          Well, you're really going to love London once you discover the rest.
                          Hi. I like your necklace. - It's actually a rape whistle, but the whistle part fell off.

Comment

• DRRRK
                            • Aug 2009

Originally posted by Dreavan View Post
                            Haha amazing to see this thread. I went back from London and Berlin a week ago and I fell in love with London.
                            What about Berlin? I'm interested to read about some new opinions (maybe not in this thread though) after I almost moved there in summer last year but gladly decided not to. Since then, I am down from my usual 8-10 visits a year to 2, the second one this year in a couple of days.

Comment

• lowrey
                              ventiundici
                              • Dec 2006

so a McFlurry huh.
                              "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• Dreavan
                                • Mar 2012

Yes I guess so! I was there for a week only and wasn't alone so yeah, pure touristic vacations. Sometimes it feels good this way xD
                                Just being in a bus was magic to me so yes I imagine I have many things left to discover (PM me if you have any suggestions for my next trip).

My main goal was to understand and feel if I can live and work there. I figured out that it's definetely a yes.
                                I felt really good and much more comfy than in Paris.

I visited many other spots and went until Cambridge which is so charming btw. A week is way too short to really enjoy the londonian lifestyle and customs but the most important is what you feel right?

Loved Berlin too but not the same story xD + I don't really like the cold which is such an argument in Berlin.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎