X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • zamb
    • Nov 2006

thanks Fade,

I almost felt tearful when I was writing it, not just because of him per se, but because of the depths of hopelessness and despair that can often plague us as human beings.........
    In a way I long for a more beautiful existence. I understand what you are saying, but it doesn't always work that way in reality, one of the most valuable quality we have as individuals is that of freedom of choice, something that at all costs we strive to preserve for all men. but the negative of that is that some will always choose the bad, and even many of us who strive for the good, often fall into doing bad things...........
    Guess in this life we just have to take the bitter with the sweet.

Originally posted by Fade to Black View Post
    thanks for posting that heartfelt tribute, zamb.

as an aside, i would like to offer the possibility that perhaps with this great and sudden shift in the order of creativity as we know it, the emptiness may soon propel you and other like-minded individuals of artistic vision to push forward even harder, bolder and farther, and to set a greater example, not just in the work, but also as people who go about day to day life mindful of general conduct and composure, for future generations of people who will be much like the you and me of present throwing ideas back and forth in this virtual salon.
    “You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
    .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

I must admit it took me about three days to somewhat recover from this tragedy. He is the first of my rolemodels to be involved in a tragedy like this, and hopefully the last for at least some time. The way he educated and nourished my creative eye was through the collaborations with Björk, and what they did together outshines every other collaboration she has done throughout her career. My close friend is the webdesigner for björks site, so I got to help her put together this page where björk wrote a few words

edit: saw this article of Westboro Church planning to picket at mcqueens funeral. My face went red and my knuckles white. If they really believe he'll burn in hell, why doesn't that satisfy them? Why do they have to make the mourning suffer even more?!?!?! Fucking scum!

The Advocate is the world’s leading source of LGBT news and information capturing the political and cultural conversations of the community through award-winning journalism, compelling photography and video, and vital commentary for over 50 years.

Comment

• ronin
        Banned
        • Dec 2009

Zamb, that's beautiful.

I still don't find the accurate words to put on what I feel. I don't talk about it actually. I remember, shortly before his death, I was having a conversation with my mother about how she was disgusted with the fashion business and why she was glad to have left it, how she thought that nowadays achieving a certain level of fame outside of a niche put boundaries on your creativity and innovation, and I told her that this was why I was glad that there were people like Alexander McQueen, who constantly pushed their own boundaries, reinventing their aesthetic season after season with a consistent soul, flirting with artistic expression, all this in the face of the world, clothing lovers, fashionistas and fashion illiterate alike. Everybody knew about him, for some people he was just the guy who made skull scarves or those "ugly" Lady Gaga's shoes, but still he managed to shine on everyone. At first I was bitter that his work was reduced to this for many people, like it would spoil his memory. But now I see it as a trace, optimistic, no matter how tiny, because as long as he will be remembered by all, people will continue to learn about him. This trace is an opened door to the rest of his work, who will keep on being discovered and appreciated by more and more people long after his death.

That Westboro Church stuff is truly disgusting. I can't understand why people would do such a thing, I don't see what they're trying to achieve?.

Comment

i just stated that I'd be flattered if I challenged their views enough make them picket at my funeral. they're just a bunch of baboons, so there's nothing harmful about them. they're even banned from the UK so there's nothing they can do I hope..

Comment

• Faust
            kitsch killer
            • Sep 2006

I passed by McQueen's store yesterday in New York. It was sad to see all the flowers outside. It was even sadder to see the store full of people who looked like they came to buy into a legacy of someone whose work they never knew. At one point they had to close the door.

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• almroth
              • Jul 2008

Originally posted by Faust View Post
              It was even sadder to see the store full of people who looked like they came to buy into a legacy of someone whose work they never knew. At one point they had to close the door.
              I think it's so disturbing, and very saddening - but expected. I read his sales went up by 1400% in london, people going crazy for his skull scarves..

thanks for the photos!

Comment

• laughed
                • Jul 2009

From The Sartorialist

So....now what?

I was talking to a retailer yesterday who said that her McQueen business was growing faster than it ever had before.

However, she sees no other option than to close the business of McQueen.

Who could take over? Should anyone takeover?

I'm sure Gucci has invested millions in this business but, this isn't the same as finding a replacement for an old house like YSL or Kenzo.

This is different, very different.

I think the closest correlation to this would have to be Moschino. And still after all these years, no one has been able to replace him, just a design team. Do we really want this to be the fate of McQueen's business?

I mean, come on, who could possibly keep the spirit of McQueen alive? He was so unique that his replacement could never get out of that shadow.

But again, Gucci has already spent millions and, in this economy, can anyone just walk away from a growing business?

So....now what?

Comment

• swami
                  • Jul 2008

February 18, 2010, 12:16 pm McQueen Label Will Continue

Robert Polet, the president and chief executive of Gucci Group, announced on Thursday that the Alexander McQueen label will continue, in response to questions about its future since the designer’s death last week.
                  Gucci Group, which has owned the Alexander McQueen label since December 2000, said a McQueen collection will be shown during Paris Fashion Week in March. The company plans to continue to finance the brand, though it did not release specific plans for the future beyond the fall collection.
                  “There is an outstanding team at Alexander McQueen, a team that has enormous talent and energy and a passion that Lee was extremely proud of, and so am I,” Mr. Polet said in a statement. Lee was Mr. McQueen’s first name.
                  François-Henri Pinault, the chairman and chief executive of PPR, the parent company of Gucci Group, also was quoted in the statement, saying, “This is the best tribute we could offer to Lee.”
                  Mr. McQueen, who was 40, was found dead in his home in London on Feb. 11. An officer of the Westminster Coroner’s Court said during proceedings this week that the cause of death was asphyxia and hanging.

Comment

• Faust
                    kitsch killer
                    • Sep 2006

Without McQueen, this will be useless.
                    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• almroth
                      • Jul 2008

I still look forward to the coming show. my friend told me lee was completely done with the collection as whole, so I suppose there's just small editing we will miss out on.

but yes, after the fall collection it's over.

Comment

• almroth
                        • Jul 2008

"I'd just burn the place down"

Comment

• zamb
                          • Nov 2006

Without McQueen, this will be useless.
                          Agreed,
                          but this begs an interesting question.
                          are fashion companies working on the right business model, where the unexpected passing of a designer can ultimately collapse a large multi-million dollar company?

Comment

• Faust
                            kitsch killer
                            • Sep 2006

well, a suicide is a very rare occasion, i would say.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• zamb
                              • Nov 2006

well, a suicide is a very rare occasion, i would say.
                              well I am not speaking about the means of death, but just untimely death in general.

the case of Versace or Franco Moschino being other notable examples.
                              Donatella stepped in at Versace, but in a way Moschino was never the same............

Comment

• laughed
                                • Jul 2009

Steven Parrino once explained something like - painting is dead because it is dead in the mind of the artist - not that painting itself is dead.
                                I think that now that Alexander has died, anything that is made from here on out will be dead - he's dead. It will never have the same life as when he was here.
                                I wouldn't even want to look at anything that is made from here on out.
                                Whatever reports are coming out, I really believe it is too early to know for sure what will happen. i'm on board again for it being shut down. If anyone wants it to continue on inside the mcqueen house i would assume it isn't for him but for $$$.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎