X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mortalveneer
    • Jan 2008

Originally posted by durbanhawk View Post
    Intellectualizing around the dubstep topic. My wife and i call datsik style ninjastep, or i think of Bennyhanastep
    I call this stuff kungfustep

specific tracks:

Datsik - 3 Fist Style
    16bit - Tale of the Exploding Fist
    Kromestar - The Buddha

I know I'm missing some here...so let me know if you guys recall similarly influenced tracks...
    I am not who you think I am

Comment

• MASUGNEN
      • Feb 2009

Friday, Malmö: BREAKAGE.

Breakage aka James Boyle is never been one to be pigeonholed. Moving effortlessly through styles from drum and bass to dubstep, Breakage has proved himself to be one of the most versatile operators in either scene to date. A prodigious talent, he already has a number of classic releases under his belt but continues to develop his sound. Combining rich tones and a sense of spaciousness in the mix, Breakage’s music is both subtle yet devastatingly effective.
      Never afraid to make an impact, he burst onto the drum and bass scene back in 2000, announcing his arrival with a raucous remix of a hardcore classic, Nasty Habit’s Here Come the Drums on Reinforced. He backed up this bold move, however, with a series of EPs for the legendary label proving he was no young pretender. Developing a close relationship with veterans such as Equinox (Scientific Wax) and Threshold (Special Branch), Breakage was at the forefront of a new wave of breakbeat scientists bringing a percussive sound back to drum and bass at a time when the scene seemed to have forgotten it’s jungle roots.

Breakage continued his good form dropping a number of sort after releases for the Inperspective label, his remix of Equinox’s Acid Rain twisted the Amen break to new levels and served as a rallying call for producers looking to bring back the original drum and bass sound. Further releases came on labels including Critical and Scientific Wax, before his debut album release in 2006 This To Shall Pass gained wide spread critical acclaim and included some slower tempo material, hinting at what was to come.

James signed with Shy FX’s mighty Digital Soundboy imprint in 2007, and soon turned heads with the haunting half- time beats of Clarendon b/w Shroud. It came as no surprise that he would make waves in the dubstep community with his next release, Callahan b/w Untitled, after having remixed one of the scene’s biggest tracks to date, Benga & Coki’s Night, alongsie Shy FX as Digital Soundboy.

2009 has seen Breakage cemented himself as ‘one to watch’ across the British dance music press and taste-making elite. Following on from the superb ‘Together’ earlier this year, Breakage released ‘Run Em Out’ feat. Roots Manuva b/w ‘Higher’ this October and continues his good form with the thuggish reworked ‘Hard’ feat. Newham Generals and David Rodigan released Dec 7th. Alongside his orginal recordings James has also recently turned in remixes for the likes of Sidney Sampson, David Guetta and the legendary Aswad.
      Zane Lowe named Hard as his ʻHottest Record In The Worldʼ on his Radio 1 show and heʼs gone on to gain massive support across the airwaves from the likes of has Annie Mac, Mista Jam, Rob Da Bank, Giles Peterson, Ras Kwame, Toddla T, Mary Anne Hobbs, Sinden, Nick Grimshaw, John Kennedy, DJ Bailey, Semtex, Joe Ransom & more.
      With his sophomore LP Foundation due for release in Feb 2010 on Digital Soundboy, it’s sure to be another busy year ahead for Breakage. Features on the record come courtesy of Skream, Burial, Roots Manuva, David Rodigan, Newham Generals, Kemo and more. Expect bass heavy quality music with a broad appeal.
      To quote a certain Mr. Roots Manuva... Breakage is a man with an ear for deep, deep, sub-sonic frequencies. He goes in low. I thinking he’s talking to sea-life. He’s talking to the squid. His command of sound and the sheer amount of music he can squeeze from so little is phenomenal. Breakage generates bags of deep meditational vibes and effortless forward movement in equal measure. Sometimes simple really is the best. IDJ Mag TOP TUNE 10/10
      Breakage’s beats are packed with more beef than an Argentinean steakhouse DJ Mag Sept 2009 4/5. His half-step beats are pure catch your-breath tension. Intense. Mixmag Sept 2009 4/5.

Comment

• MaxM
        • Sep 2009

Originally posted by mortalveneer View Post
        Yah same with all the unreleased burial tracks that bailey's played...wish they'd come the hell out...
        Was there not a remix album of Commix' Call to Mind supposed to be coming out on MetalHeadz?
        With the Burial remix on it

WTB : http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...ad.php?t=16112

Comment

• ProfMonnitoff
          • Jan 2007

I saw Phaeleh for the 4th time a few days ago. I still can't believe how far ahead he is of most producers. Everyone else's synths are still screaming, while he has tamed them.

Originally posted by jogu
          i went out to take garbage out and froze my tits runnin down stairs , think im gonna chill at home tonite . hungry tho anyone have cool ideas on what to order for supper , not pizza tho sick of pizza

Comment

• ProfMonnitoff
            • Jan 2007

Originally posted by mortalveneer View Post
            I call this stuff kungfustep

specific tracks:

Datsik - 3 Fist Style
            16bit - Tale of the Exploding Fist
            Kromestar - The Buddha

I know I'm missing some here...so let me know if you guys recall similarly influenced tracks...
            A lot of Bar 9's stuff falls under that umbrella, but he really needs to stop making 8 bars and looping them for several minutes.

For example, Shaolin Style. Here's the original

And here's Nero's remix

A year later, I'm still not sure which is better.
            i went out to take garbage out and froze my tits runnin down stairs , think im gonna chill at home tonite . hungry tho anyone have cool ideas on what to order for supper , not pizza tho sick of pizza

Comment

• mortalveneer
              • Jan 2008

Originally posted by ProfMonnitoff View Post
              A lot of Bar 9's stuff falls under that umbrella, but he really needs to stop making 8 bars and looping them for several minutes.

For example, Shaolin Style. Here's the original

And here's Nero's remix

A year later, I'm still not sure which is better.
              I knew I was forgetting a track...I have both those on 320

Comment

• ProfMonnitoff
                • Jan 2007

There's much more stuff that goes in that direction. I'm away from my laptop right now but here's some stuff I found on my ipod that fits the description. i think what they have in common and what defines this made-up genre is a sort of shuffle-sounding rhythm that ties together the drums and synth. you probably know some/most of them, but some other people reading this might also enjoy them.

let me know if you can't find any of them, i could probably pm some 320s (mods please let me know if this isnt ok. im not posting links because i definitely don't want this to become an mp3 sharing station)

logic - funny bones
                the widdler - sensei samurai
                dz - down
                suspicious stench - mega
                george lenton - troll
                enigma - sunshine
                cookie monsta - ginger pubes
                scream - simple city
                jsaxton - like this
                krew - distress signals
                twisted - prophecy (mr boogie remix)

Comment

• killah
                  • Jun 2009

anyone?

Comment

• pierce
                    Banned
                    • Aug 2009

What do people think of rusko & caspa?

I'm totally out of touch with dubstep.

Comment

• SHYE_POSER
                      • Mar 2009

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Killah,the whole album LONDON ZOO is deadly! (no pun intended).
                      merz: your look has all the grace of george michael at the tail end of a coke binge.

Comment

• pierce
                        Banned
                        • Aug 2009

Thats a remix of age of love :(

From a production perspective, I think that the basslines are big time influenced by Witness the fitness.

Comment

• SHYE_POSER
                          • Mar 2009

Very true.The bline is naughty though.On another note,when the fuck is rodney dropping another album!

Chasing Shadows - It Was WrittenLabel:Not On Label, Catalog:DM2008 Vinyl, 12" UK 2009.ONE OF THE DOPEST DUBSTEP REMIX IN THE WORLD!Put a: &fmt=18 after the y...

am a fan of junior gong in general...
                          Last edited by SHYE_POSER; 03-05-2010, 05:21 PM.
                          merz: your look has all the grace of george michael at the tail end of a coke binge.

Comment

• killah
                            • Jun 2009

Originally posted by SHYE_POSER View Post
                            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGOHVqJS_lw

Killah,the whole album LONDON ZOO is deadly! (no pun intended).
                            yes, I love that album

i love this track, i really like the garage breakdown

Comment

• Grondie
                              • Mar 2009

Jaded Drum & Bass producers gave this thing a shot ten years ago - They were calling it 'Nu Skool Breaks.'

The chin-scratching crowed glommed on to the sound, but the rest of the D&B scene hated the shit and it it just never hit the critical mass it needed to thrive on its own.

It seems like this time around the "breaks" diaspora has redeployed under the Dubstep umbrella - I 'just don't get it' because this sound has been on the shelf since about 2000.

Comment

• mortalveneer
                                • Jan 2008

Originally posted by Grondie View Post
                                Jaded Drum & Bass producers gave this thing a shot ten years ago - They were calling it 'Nu Skool Breaks.'...I 'just don't get it' because this sound has been on the shelf since about 2000.
                                Can you give me some track comparisons to better support your point?

I listened to nu skool breaks back in the day, and I listen to a ton of dubstep now, and I'm having trouble seeing them as at all the same...Tayo, Hybrid, Jamie Myerson all come to mind when I think of nu skool, but none of them sound anything like standard dub-influenced two-step to me..

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎