Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • almroth
    • Jul 2008

I bet it's very calculated, yet it manages to look awkwardly random and.. ugly. his first collection was minimal and decent, but now it seems he's just, excuse me but, adding shit. I see no development, just overexaggerated cuts and pieces.

I agree with heirloom, I see no soul in this. his previous collection was just as bad, really. he went the same way, but with horrifying zippers..

Comment

• christianef
      • Feb 2009

Originally posted by tricotineacetat View Post
      I'm getting a bit bored of Hourani as of late, especially after having been able to see a good part of the pieces up close, which don't have the same catchy appeal as when you wear it all as a layered outfit... the fabrics all start to give you this plastic-y feel and there's a simplicity in the way these pieces are made that gives a level of flatness to the designs seen as separates. He's done a few edgy, recognizable pieces that work, such as his slashed leather/fabric trousers and those high heeledboots that are cool and sinister but I'm missing an extension to his vocabulary.
      well said, and i would agree specifically with this. the outerwear here looks especially flat and poorly made. and i would also agree with DRRRK - rad wearing simple basics is the best example of how this can work. all the messy outwear just kills it though. sadly, its starting to really show he's had no formal schooling or background in design. nice try but the well has run dry.

Comment

• Matteo Lovadina
        • Feb 2010

I don't agree with all those critics. Rad's concept is androginy, how can you blame it then ? This season is such an evolution compared to his first show, in design, in material and in tailoring. Can't wait to see the fabrics in person to be reconforted in my statement. The soul is Rad himself as he clearly explained million times. There is no copy-paste like others from the major ones and his work is always developing. Still, I can blame the non evolving shoes...
        Art is the proper task of life.

Comment

• ironman
          • Apr 2008

well if the soul of his designs is Rad himself, then maybe he feels the solid black heels suit it best

and besides, not everyone has a ton of money for new shoes for every collection (Todd Lynn uses custom made Christian Louboutins for every show)

although i would think Rad has the money, with the prices he charges lol

Comment

• almroth
            • Jul 2008

thanks for informing me his soul sucks and that he can't even comprehend his own concept in an aesthetically pleasing manner. touché on development, although I still think it looks like he's adding shit. yes, I do blame him.

Comment

• Matteo Lovadina
              • Feb 2010

Originally posted by almroth View Post
              thanks for informing me his soul sucks and that he can't even comprehend his own concept in an aesthetically pleasing manner. touché on development, although I still think it looks like he's adding shit. yes, I do blame him.
              i personally respect other people advice. but when you have a guy coming from a different background and doing his own line and having the press he has, i just raise down my head and say : respect. "shit" is a world that i use in fashion (at least in my own world). it's just different points of view. let's see in 4 seasons...

Comment

• Faust
                kitsch killer
                • Sep 2006

Originally posted by almroth View Post
                Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• asho
                  • Nov 2007

I always thought of androgyny as a foot in both camps, i don't really see that here.

Comment

• delirium
                    • Sep 2008

tragi-androgyny
                    trandrogyny?

Comment

• Matteo Lovadina
                      • Feb 2010

well I see no mercy here for rad... how can't you see the androgyny in his work ? who said he has money ?

but I would like to quote some phrases i have found reading the never ending thread about rick...

"... like ann at the beginning, they say there is no future..."
                      or better ".. he makes clothes for himself.."
                      "... I wouldn't wear it but I like it"
                      or "...he is young in the business..."

i would say a lot of things have already been said on that thread, on the last (first) pages, same about rad.
                      not comparing rick and rad, no worth. just giving a chance to talent, as I particularly appreciate no background "artists"
                      will see the pieces this week, will keep posted about fabrics and feels.

Comment

• Servo2000
                        • Oct 2006

I'm along similar lines - nothing I would wear but I'm not sure why every Rad show results in such severe criticism. It feels to me like it's an attack on something beside the work itself which I don't feel is by any means bad and is even occasionally really, really good - I think he's had some of the most succesful 'transforming zipper' pieces so far since instead of having 1 way that looked good and a bunch of really silly other ways to wear it each one worked well in pretty much all of their configuration. The zippers were designed into the pieces rather than just being a means to an end in that they struck me as integral before I even realized they could be reconfigured.

I see more of that here - I wonder how many of the pieces here were combinations of each other and if you can 'use' older season's 'pieces?'

This is also just a great jacket.
                        WTB: Rick Owens Padded MA-1 Bomber XS (LIMO / MOUNTAIN)

Comment

• delirium
                          • Sep 2008

I do agree with the above 2 posts. It's not anything I would wear, but some of the pieces do look to have interesting designs. The styling did put me off though.

Comment

• Matteo Lovadina
                            • Feb 2010

Poor rad, he doesn't even have a new thread for his new collection ? Or am I just unable to find it ?

Comment

• Mar 2009

He's too busy jacking helmut's ideas to have his own thread.

note: stores just added zippers to stuff from the past seasons and raised the prices (to make them look like something from the current season)

Comment

Originally posted by asho View Post
                                I always thought of androgyny as a foot in both camps, i don't really see that here.
                                It's not necessarily like that. It can also be to stand outside of the dicotomy of masculine and feminine, to be sexless.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎