X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fuuma
    • Sep 2006

The pricing is crazy/justified thread

Not sure we had one of those but it often comes up in discussion, following this pattern:

designer thread w. collection posted : where2KOP!!!!: wait until collection is released: item X is dope but the prices have gone up again and its 35K for a pair of underpants with object-dyed teddy bears on them: waaaaaa!!: but wait the construction is way better now and they were soaked in the tears of virgins.

Instead of having that wonderful discussion repeated in every designer thread why not have it here. You see an item and want to lodge a complaint to your SZnalyst, post it here and see what goes. You want to discuss prices in general or trends in pricing or blabla, this is your sandbox.

Ok, I'm annoyed because Hermès pocket squares from the Fairytale series are €120/piece. We're talking pocket squares!! I don't care if their borders are hand-rolled but this is stupid.
    Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
    http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff
  • merkuri
    • Sep 2009

I think most designer leather jackets and any fully canvassed suits and some footwear (Vass, Lobb) are justifiably priced to some extent whereas nothing else I can think of is.

Rick tees, balmain jeans and designer socks are IMO the most egregious offenders.

Comment

• cjbreed
      • Feb 2009

this may not be one of the most extreme examples but when i read in the m.a+ thread that these will be 3k i was pretty disappointed

dying and coming back gives you considerable perspective

Comment

• huckleberry
        • Jul 2009

I think that a large amount of damir's work has questionable pricing this season. I understand that production quality has risen greatly, but from my handling of previous seasons (aw08 mainly) the previous quality was far from what is expected of a designer brand. This to me meant that the quality had to rise to be acceptable for the previous pricing, but clearly to whoever controls damir's prices it meant I would have to pay £200 something for a vest and £700 for some sandals.
        No thanks.

Comment

• zamb
          • Nov 2006

and here begins the great never ending discussion......................
          “You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
          .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

• theetruscan
            • Jan 2008

Just responding to Hermes pricing Fuuma, it has been increasing very rapidly lately. Since 2002-2003 when I picked up a couple of things, the price of all those items has increased 2-3 fold. Exact same items, exact same leather, made by the exact same people (well, probably not that one). It's not like they've improved quality or anything, they're just seeing where the breaking point is. I think the gloves I bought would now cost 2.2x as much as before, and the day-planner fully 3 times as much.
            Hobo: We all dress up. We all put on our armour before we walk out the door, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that we’re trying to be someone else.

Comment

• zamb
              • Nov 2006

Originally posted by theetruscan View Post
              Just responding to Hermes pricing Fuuma, it has been increasing very rapidly lately. Since 2002-2003 when I picked up a couple of things, the price of all those items has increased 2-3 fold. Exact same items, exact same leather, made by the exact same people (well, probably not that one). It's not like they've improved quality or anything, they're just seeing where the breaking point is. I think the gloves I bought would now cost 2.2x as much as before, and the day-planner fully 3 times as much.
              immoral!
              “You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
              .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

• Fuuma
                • Sep 2006

Yeah, pretty much but Poell has increased as much in that period and so did many designers discussed here (in a shorter time).

Comment

• endorphinz
                  Banned
                  • Jun 2009

this may be a lil OT but:

i find it interesting that the relatively small labels coveted by sz members is priced in the stratosphere. most larger, general consumer "luxe" labels spend small fortunes on advertising,marketing and promotion. to the best of my knowledge, this is not the case with the labels worn on sz.
                  marketing is expensive and its cost is reflected in the price of the garment..exponentially because of basic business models.

sz labels don't have this cost and yet their prices are still out of this world. there is no real way to justify the prices. i don't care what fabrics/trimmings are used and how many hand stitches there are, the prices are out of hand.

these ridiculous prices ARE the marketing and the built in exclusivity is the desired "product"

it's all a matter of supply and demand....demand drops and the labels disappear.

so, to answer the question, as long as the label can thrive, prices will rise.

Comment

• Sombre
                    • Jan 2009

^Economy of scale. Small labels don't have that.

Also, on a general note, don't forget the effect of inflation and currency fluctuation when you think of price increases.
                    An artist is not paid for his labor, but for his vision. - James Whistler

Originally posted by BBSCCP
                    I order 1 in every size, please, for every occasion

Comment

• Fuuma
                      • Sep 2006

Originally posted by endorphinz View Post
                      this may be a lil OT but:

i find it interesting that the relatively small labels coveted by sz members is priced in the stratosphere. most larger, general consumer "luxe" labels spend small fortunes on advertising,marketing and promotion. to the best of my knowledge, this is not the case with the labels worn on sz.
                      marketing is expensive and its cost is reflected in the price of the garment..exponentially because of basic business models.

sz labels don't have this cost and yet their prices are still out of this world. there is no real way to justify the prices. i don't care what fabrics/trimmings are used and how many hand stitches there are, the prices are out of hand.

these ridiculous prices ARE the marketing and the built in exclusivity is the desired "product"

it's all a matter of supply and demand....demand drops and the labels disappear.

so, to answer the question, as long as the label can thrive, prices will rise.
                      I don't think you quite understand the difference between economies of scale and small batch orders. Add in that everyone needs to have certain promotional tools (rent a showroom for Paris FW or Milan, for example, have a press agent well you sorta start ot understand). It is not that simple.

Comment

• theetruscan
                        • Jan 2008

Originally posted by Fuuma View Post
                        Yeah, pretty much but Poell has increased as much in that period and so did many designers discussed here (in a shorter time).
                        Hermes still make the same things, whereas Poell seems to have changed what he makes. I have pricepoints off the top of my head as well, so I figured it was as good an example as I was going to come up with. I feel like it's more justifiable in Poell's case since he seems to have improved as a designer, but to a casual observer it seems like there has been a nearly industry-wide explosion in retail pricing. I dunno, probably just run of the mill grumbling though.
                        Hobo: We all dress up. We all put on our armour before we walk out the door, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that we’re trying to be someone else.

Comment

• kuugaia
                          • Feb 2010

Maybe it's just me, but I've always thought pricing to be out of the stratosphere as a double edged sword? The higher the price, less people find it 'justifiable' to buy the product. Meaning the item/label is more rare and enticing.

If Poell was 1/4 the price, I'm sure many of the people here would drop the label because EVERYBODY would have it. If anything, besides just paying for the quality and the item itself, we're paying for the status of 'I am balling enough to pay for this shit'.

Or is my 2cents just stupid lol?
                          Last edited by kuugaia; 02-22-2010, 11:29 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

• Fuuma
                            • Sep 2006

Hermes still make the same things, whereas Poell seems to have changed what he makes. I have pricepoints off the top of my head as well, so I figured it was as good an example as I was going to come up with. I feel like it's more justifiable in Poell's case since he seems to have improved as a designer, but to a casual observer it seems like there has been a nearly industry-wide explosion in retail pricing. I dunno, probably just run of the mill grumbling though.
                            Well think of zip-boots and leather jackets...

Comment

• endorphinz
                              Banned
                              • Jun 2009

Originally posted by Fuuma View Post
                              I don't think you quite understand the difference between economies of scale and small batch orders. Add in that everyone needs to have certain promotional tools (rent a showroom for Paris FW or Milan, for example, have a press agent well you sorta start ot understand). It is not that simple.
                              i understand the difference. the benefits of mass production is somewhat offset by obnoxious corporate bloat....and renting a showroom is the not the same as spending millions on media..not to mention the absurd "markdown" $$$ offered to stores by major labels because of their increased production

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎