• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fuuma
    • Sep 2006

Originally posted by philip nod View Post
    http://shine.yahoo.com/channel/beaut...6980519E992185

balmang clockin in with a shredded boo face t at 1625
    Being able to show your erect nipples is so worth it...
    Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
    http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Comment

• Macro
      • Apr 2008

'artfully shredded' hmmmmm you couldn't pay me to wear that balmain t.
      every man has inside himself a parasitic being who is acting not at all to his advantage

Comment

• ddohnggo
        • Oct 2006

ballermang
        Did you get and like the larger dick?

Comment

• philip nod
          • Aug 2007

manballs
          One wonders where it will end, when everything has become gay.

Comment

• Fade to Black
            • Sep 2008

mungbawlz maybe. said it before say it again: shit is fucked up, B.
            www.matthewhk.net

let me show you a few thangs

Comment

• Faust
              kitsch killer
              • Sep 2006

someone will buy it. this is my mantra from now on.
              Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• BeauIXI
                • Nov 2008

Originally posted by philip nod
                somebody should kop this. this is forever.

Comment

• Fade to Black
                  • Sep 2008

'artfully distressed' is the new FUBAR
                  www.matthewhk.net

let me show you a few thangs

Comment

• BeauIXI
                    • Nov 2008

I thought it was the other way 'round, myself.

Comment

• eat me
                      • May 2009

Long time no see :).

I just want to mention something that hasn't been picked up so far: this notion that a designer is supposed to create purely to satisfy his creative cravings and if he's driven by anything but, he's a talentless-sold-out-poor-in-spirit capitalist bastard.

This view is fucked up. Especially I love this rhetoric coming from people working in other professions and earning good money. Why are you not doing it for " purely the joy"? Why are you supposed to be paid for something, if you do it good, but a designer isn't? What a load of drivel, that's what artists are for (to an extent).

I wouldn't be happy knowing that a designer of things that I love is living somewhere in a shed sharing it with other creatives and cuts those awesome leathers at night while having a day non-job to pay for the can of beans he's having for dinner.

A talented creative should be able to lead a lifestyle no worse than a talented professional of any other industry. And if that means charging $3000 for shoes I can't afford, but enough people can - so be it.

PS - the above is written in the context of the non-corporate designers that are often admired here.
                      Last edited by eat me; 04-13-2010, 02:40 AM.

Comment

• Faust
                        kitsch killer
                        • Sep 2006

/\ who is it exactly you are addressing? sounds like someone you made up.
                        Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• BeauIXI
                          • Nov 2008

Originally posted by eat me View Post
                          Why are you not doing it for " purely the joy"? Why are you supposed to be paid for something, if you do it good, but a designer isn't? What a load of drivel, that's what artists are for (to an extent).
                          Nice to hear from you in a while, Eat Me. I just wanted to interject though, this is kind of a strange thing to say, aren't our favorite designers artists? I think you're mixing up two very different spheres of definition- "fashion designer" is a profession, "artist" is a way of being.

Comment

• eat me
                            • May 2009

Faust, I saw several similar posts in the forum holding that belief, from different people. But in this particular thread... Erm, hold on. Let me scan through... Aha! pierce, of course. I don't know who he is, I haven't been here for a while, but he sure is opinionated :).

"For a true designer, the creation of the object ( be it seeing your shoe finally made ) is all that should matter. If other things start to come into play then you run the risk of loosing your creativity.
                            Thats why I have a problem with putting a 3000 price tag on a pair of shoes. It shows the values the designer holds."

So there, pierce, just so you know - you're wrong fella.

BeauIXI, I missed the forum. And about your comment - I was talking about being a professional artist, meaning you paint/sculpt/instal/... for a living and that's the main thing you do in life, not as a hobby/weekend thing.

Comment

• BeauIXI
                              • Nov 2008

I don't mean to hound you, but that still doesn't really answer my original issue... I know precisely what you're talking about, (man does not live on bread alone, but he needs bread first, dammit) but I think you could have said...

"I was talking about being a professional artist, meaning you paint/sculpt/instal/cut and sew... for a living and that's the main thing you do in life, not as a hobby/weekend thing."

Just as easily. Just sayin'.

Comment

• eat me
                                • May 2009

All is fine, I like to discuss :).

In my opinion, an artist is someone who ultimately can just not give a shit about anything, like painting something that only he understands and cares about, and then if someone gets it and starts promoting - great, if not - nothing changes, he will just go on creating for the sake of expressing. With a designer it's not like that. They/we produce the stuff that is born out of our imagination, and is our view (for the most part), yes, but it is ultimately created to be consumed by somebody. Not maybe a lot of people, not a majority, but SOMEBODY. Otherwise you'll inevitably fold and that's going to be the end of your story.

It's difficult to argue, and there sure are elements of both artistry and commercial creativity in fashion, but ultimately I don't think a fashion designer is an artist, when he creates a collection. i see him as a commercial creative.

I mean, there are no designers (that I know of) who keep producing and sewing their collections if no one is buying them. They might stay true to their views, but they adapt.

I might be wrong though, I'm still not completely set on this topic.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎