X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fuuma
    • Sep 2006

Originally posted by pierce View Post
    "ok, even if you are right, and designers are equivalent to washing machine manufacturers and wall street bankers, what is the logical end of your rant?"

That we should not associate clothes with art? Mind you alot of artist fall in this category also

For me personally, I sometimes find hyper consumerism or this maximizing ( considering resale value...) totally alien to my way of thinking. Not that its wrong but I like to question it and figure it out. Is it an american thing?
    I know I don't consider resale value when buying clothes. I'm surprised people do for something like CCP which is the kind of stuff you want to keep around forever. Ah well I've resold some to and I didn't complain about the good prices I got so...
    Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
    http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Comment

• pierce
      Banned
      • Aug 2009

endorphinz, don't take it too serious. I read your post and you make points as valid as anyone else.

Comment

• pierce
        Banned
        • Aug 2009

Originally posted by Fuuma View Post
        I know I don't consider resale value when buying clothes. I'm surprised people do for something like CCP which is the kind of stuff you want to keep around forever. Ah well I've resold some to and I didn't complain about the good prices I got so...
        I do think though that there is a culture of consumerism at play and that the designers are all part of the game. I like Rick Owens, because I'm sure if you asked him he would tell you straight. But 3000 euro shoes, I'm not so sure. Step too far.

Comment

• Fuuma
          • Sep 2006

Originally posted by endorphinz View Post
          without going line for line, this is a synopsis of your post:

we dig this shit, don't buy other shit, save our $$$ and look for great deals so we can buy this shit and love it long time.

got no prob with your analysis. HOWEVER, it doesn't address the OP's topic. the thread is about insane pricing.

i actually agree with what you said. i'm an old dude that's been involved im men's wear for eons...well was involved eons ago.
          i have pieces in my closet for 30 years...pieces i sacrificed my soul for..my fav black blazer is a 30 year old wool crepe vintage Armani from his first us collection. (been "restored" twice)....got shoes and boots that are over 25 years old that, given inflation, were in the price ranges we are speaking of.

no "fashion passion" lectures needed here.

no one is claiming $$$ =style but $$$$ is supporting these manufactures and retail outlets. SOMEONE is paying full retail. Atelier,Barney's et al are not covering their nut by waiting for szers to buy an occasional piece @40% off.

fuck, i've been in Barney's and watched salespeople stick their noses up the ass of someone who did just drop 20k....and that's cool. if ya got it, spend it. imo, these are the people that ultimately support these labels and support the insane pricing

you mention unpaid electric bills and mounting cc debt....those are the sacrifices i speak of....again, very cool...just said that i hope theses sacrifices are worth it....there has to be a fine line somewhere, no?

i maintain that the price structure on these l33t brands is almost completely artificial. yes, quality fabrics, trimmings and workmanship are involved but....................give me a fuckin' break.

designers wanna get paid for their "artistic vision"?.....again cool but that number is quite subjective and can only be validated and sustained by supply and demand..which brings me back to my initial point.

peeps saving for months and buying shit @40% off can't possibly supply the demand that keeps these brands afloat

just my opinion..your mileage may vary.

As I said I agree with you that the "full price buyers that buy a lot" are the ones that bring the money to places like Barneys and Atelier. I'd say most SZers don't belong in that crowd (a few do). I'm halfway; I buy stuff full price, on sale and on the B&S. I assume a lot of members are the same w. some more thrifty and others ballin'.

Comment

• mortalveneer
            • Jan 2008

For me personally, I sometimes find hyper consumerism or this maximizing ( considering resale value...) totally alien to my way of thinking. Not that its wrong but I like to question it and figure it out. Is it an american thing?
            In my case, it's simply financial constraints. I love the work of the designers espoused by this forum, but when I stop wearing something as often, or encounter something new that is more desirable than something I currently own, the knowledge that those less-worn items can be turned into a given amount of money is naturally acted upon. If I were loaded, I would probably see things differently, as then my time would be worth enough to me to where taking photos, measurements, and posting stuff up would not remotely be worth the hundreds of dollars it garnered me.

That being said, I just picked up a pair of harnden derbies exclusively from resale revenue. At least for me personally, it's hard to argue with that kind of logic.

You can call this type of reasoning bourgeois if you like, but there is a reason the bourgeois eventually toppled the old-money elite; they saved money and increased their wealth, while the old money families were too good to filthy their hands with such burgher aspirations...
            I am not who you think I am

Comment

• pierce
              Banned
              • Aug 2009

mortalveneer, fair enough. I suppose they are valid reasons. Just be careful of the elite playing you with 3000 euro shoes ;)

Comment

• Fuuma
                • Sep 2006

I do think though that there is a culture of consumerism at play and that the designers are all part of the game. I like Rick Owens, because I'm sure if you asked him he would tell you straight. But 3000 euro shoes, I'm not so sure. Step too far.
                IT IS THE SAME PROFIT MARGIN AS OTHER MA+ ITEMS!! Once again blame the whole of that designer's output, or at least consider his footwear "low value".

The 3K is your psychological barrier but it is as arbitrary as 1K, $500, $250 etc. We can get shoes for $50 you know. And, once again, 3K for bespoke shoes is "reasonable" in that segment of the market so 3K for shoes isn't always an outlier price.

ps: from memory I think it's 3K USD.

Comment

• endorphinz
                  Banned
                  • Jun 2009

As I said I agree with you that the "full price buyers that buy a lot" are the ones that bring the money to places like Barneys and Atelier. I'd say most SZers don't belong in that crowd (a few do). I'm halfway; I buy stuff full price, on sale and on the B&S. I assume a lot of members are the same w. some more thrifty and others ballin'.
                  yeah, and the full price ballas are responsible for the insane prices

that's all i ever meant to say

/

Comment

• Fuuma
                    • Sep 2006

Originally posted by endorphinz View Post
                    yeah, and the full price ballas are responsible for the insane prices

that's all i ever meant to say

/
                    Well they're also responsible for the continued existence of those brands.

Comment

• zamb
                      • Nov 2006

what is the value and purpose of money?.................
                      “You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
                      .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

• mortalveneer
                        • Jan 2008

mortalveneer, fair enough. I suppose they are valid reasons. Just be careful of the elite playing you with 3000 euro shoes ;)
                        They play upon my bourgeois aspirations all too well...

I have a pair of MA+ boots that I covet with all the lust of Balzac's Rastignac...

Comment

• kuugaia
                          • Feb 2010

Originally posted by fenrost View Post
                          I am surprised, with the amount of people who take reselling value as a factor when they buy clothes...
                          Originally posted by AZH View Post
                          I want to say one of the reasons why people want to buy CCP and MA+ even though they are charging very high prices, is that there is a big second hand market behind them..
                          I too am shocked? Likewise of the many people here on this forum, I am not rolling around in cash. So my purchases in this league of clothing are for the long term, take point #1 in interest1's post. In fact I don't think I've ever considered re-sell value while deciding to buy something. If you like and want something so bad, I find it hard how you can think of selling it in the future at that purchase-point in time. Well that's how I've personally justified my purchases...it's not for the fashion today but for my style everyday.

endorphinz: I get what you're saying, but I think you just need to be less assertive about it. Fashion labels are businesses after all, and if you're upset about people running these types of businesses...you're looking at a mild grey compared to some other very dark areas.

Comment

• mortalveneer
                            • Jan 2008

Originally posted by zamb View Post
                            what is the value and purpose of money?.................
                            a common means of exchange that frees us from the complex matching game of bartering.

Its value is based in humanity's belief in its value.

Comment

• kuugaia
                              • Feb 2010

Well they're also responsible for the continued existence of those brands.
                              And fuuma returns the lob shot with a smash.

Comment

• pierce
                                Banned
                                • Aug 2009

Yeah, but the accumulation of it as a driving goal? Why do people do that?

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎