X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mortalveneer
    • Jan 2008

Originally posted by pierce View Post
    Yeah, but the accumulation of it as a driving goal? Why do people do that?
    This I can hardly opine on at all. Security, I suppose. Future freedom to do and buy whatever one desires.

I am afflicted with the absolute opposite problem...money flows through my hands like water...all too often at a faster rate than that at which I can replenish it.
    I am not who you think I am

Comment

• Johnny
      • Sep 2006

line-drawing my arse. £1500. 'avin a laff.

Comment

• Faust
        kitsch killer
        • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Fuuma View Post
        Well they're also responsible for the continued existence of those brands.
        Bingo, yet again. People, why don't you listen to the gospel according to St. Fuuma?!

I had a similar discussion with a friend. She told me that in her country virtually no one would buy clothes at these prices, and I said that in that case these beautiful things that are being sent out into the world would cease to exist. I, for one, don't want to live in the world of H&M. As interest1 (and so many others, so many times) said - if you have a passion for it, you will find a way to afford it. I advocate the same shopping habits - less (shit) is more! So many people go to H&M and the likes weekly just to buy shit, which they end up not even wearing and throwing out, or it falls apart in a few months. So, who's the more responsible and intelligent consumer - a person who buys one expensive but quality thing in several months or the one who takes weekly trips to the Broadway strip between Houston and Canal?
        Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• cjbreed
          • Feb 2009

lulz at johnny's post. that is heinous.

also, read this in response to zamb's post/question - none of this so called money matters at all
          dying and coming back gives you considerable perspective

Comment

• endorphinz
            Banned
            • Jun 2009

Well they're also responsible for the continued existence of those brands.
            i thought i've been sayin this all along

Originally posted by endorphinz View Post
            fuck, i've been in Barney's and watched salespeople stick their noses up the ass of someone who did just drop 20k....and that's cool. if ya got it, spend it. imo, these are the people that ultimately support these labels and support the insane pricing

peeps saving for months and buying shit @40% off can't possibly supply the demand that keeps these brands afloat

Originally posted by Faust View Post
            Bingo, yet again. People, why don't you listen to the gospel according to St. Fuuma?!

and I said that in that case these beautiful things that are being sent out into the world would cease to exist.
            maybe, maybe not
            that is purely speculative and extremely debatable

if the "full price ballas" stopped payin the insane prices, these labels would have a choice...charge a bit less for their "artistic vision" or go under...i got a feelin' they'd allow their egos to suffer a bit,...but ????

the question is moot because the referenced ballas will never stop their consumption because they don't need to. so, they will continue to devour the carcass whole and leave scraps for scavengers like myself.

yes,i am grateful for these scraps.

Originally posted by kuugaia View Post

endorphinz:, and if you're upset about people running these types of businesses...you're looking at a mild grey compared to some other very dark areas.
            not upset in the least, i'm a true capitalist

Comment

• fenrost
              Banned
              • Mar 2009

Originally posted by mortalveneer View Post
              In my case, it's simply financial constraints. I love the work of the designers espoused by this forum, but when I stop wearing something as often, or encounter something new that is more desirable than something I currently own, the knowledge that those less-worn items can be turned into a given amount of money is naturally acted upon. If I were loaded, I would probably see things differently, as then my time would be worth enough to me to where taking photos, measurements, and posting stuff up would not remotely be worth the hundreds of dollars it garnered me.
              a dilemma of a fast-fashionista. it's inevitable.

Comment

• mortalveneer
                • Jan 2008

Originally posted by fenrost View Post
                a dilemma of a fast-fashionista. it's inevitable.
                I wouldn't quite say fast...the majority of the items in my wardrobe that are of the ilk we're discussing here I have had for 2-5 years. However, whenever I consider a clothing expense beyond my easy affordability, I would see myself as stupid to not evaluate those items in my wardrobe that still hold value to others that perhaps exceeds the comparatively diminished number of wears said item is currently getting from me.

Fact of the matter is, I can't afford to make that many purchases a year of items from these designers, and considering the value of items in my closet is one way to increase this number, ultimately increasing the true value my wardrobe holds for me. This way, I can dissipate my money across fine wines, clothing, ski trips, dubstep vinyl, art & photo books, sour ales, and any other of my nigh-endless consumptive interests that I so greatly enjoy.

As I stated in my original post, it just comes to a more stringent budget constraint than most folks on this board. I wish I didn't have to apply such a stringent financial lens to all my purchases and current possessions (and likely someday will not need to), but I would consider myself foolish to not do so as things currently stand.

Clarification:

I don't explicitly consider a given item's resale value when deciding to purchase, except in the vague sense that almost all of the designers we're discussing do tend to hold more value than most clothing out there. I also follow the, "I am in love with this item, I can currently afford it...so I subsequently 'kop' it." However, given the very real resale value we're discussing, of course when purchasing a new EXPENSIVE item, older items in my wardrobe enter into it as an asset that is holding some value to me, and perhaps more value to someone else.
                Last edited by mortalveneer; 02-23-2010, 02:33 PM. Reason: I don't buy things thinking, "what can I resell this for?"
                I am not who you think I am

Comment

• interest1
                  • Nov 2008

endorphinz,

Forgive the over-the-top last post. It was either that, or suggest if there wasn't a happiness forum somewhere that you should be crashing next.

I think the consensus here might be that you are becoming seen as someone who asks questions less for the sake of wanting to gain a new perspective, and more as someone who may be posing questions on a forum as a means of having a momentary soapbox. Once there, you kinda start going for the jugular at the drop of a hat to get your voice heard.

After it's noticed that no answer from anybody seems good enough, your motivation for being here starts getting called into question, and you eventually end up being perceived as someone with some sort of an ax to grind. You may not realize this is kinda how you've been projecting yourself, but I'm only being honest with you. I don't believe I'm the only one holding this impression.

I feel there's a dismissiveness to your posts that goes way back, and after a while, people start wondering why you ever bothered to register on a fashion forum that clearly rubs you the wrong way if your intention is to continually play the antagonist card. Perhaps this is way off the mark and you sincerely haven't a clue what I'm referring to. Regardless, you needed to hear it.

Here is my example: When I was responded to one of your posts by outlining in detail how the majority of members here manage the high prices despite being on limited incomes, you replied with: "..HOWEVER, it doesn't address the OP's topic. the thread is about insane pricing." I thought that was stunningly rude, considering the entire reason I took the time to share that with you was because your preceding post began with this snide amplification: "the labels being discussed are not meant for "ordinary folk". they're meant for people who can afford to drop 20k easier than those who scrape together a couple hundred bucks to go shopping".

I read a little "us against them" in there, which made me think maybe this person is venting from an outcast's vantage point. The tactless reply of "shit this, shit that" suddenly solidified that assumption. Listen, I'll tell you a secret, endorphinz: everyone on here is a fucking outcast! Seriously. The nature of this forum proves it.. You came out swinging possibly toward the very people you may be surprised to find have more in common with you than you think.

I'm sorry I suggested that on your 5th birthday, your family cat announced you were adopted. It was silly of me to come out of the gate swinging like that, wasn't it?

Peace.

P.S. Not wanting to resuscitate this conversation, just thought you'd appreciate knowing how I see what I see.

sain't

Comment

• BSR
                    • Aug 2008

ps: from memory I think it's 3K USD.
                    much ado about nothing, then.
                    pix

Originally posted by Fuuma
                    Fuck you and your viewpoint, I hate this depoliticized environment where every opinion should be respected, no matter how moronic. My avatar was chosen just for you, die in a ditch fucker.

Comment

• endorphinz
                      Banned
                      • Jun 2009

Originally posted by interest1 View Post
                      endorphinz,

Forgive the over-the-top last post. It was either that, or suggest if there wasn't a happiness forum somewhere that you should be crashing next.

I think the consensus here might be that you are becoming seen as someone who asks questions less for the sake of wanting to gain a new perspective, and more as someone who may be posing questions on a forum as a means of having a momentary soapbox. Once there, you kinda start going for the jugular at the drop of a hat to get your voice heard.

After it's noticed that no answer from anybody seems good enough, your motivation for being here starts getting called into question, and you eventually end up being perceived as someone with some sort of an ax to grind. You may not realize this is kinda how you've been projecting yourself, but I'm only being honest with you. I don't believe I'm the only one holding this impression.

I feel there's a dismissiveness to your posts that goes way back, and after a while, people start wondering why you ever bothered to register on a fashion forum that clearly rubs you the wrong way if your intention is to continually play the antagonist card. Perhaps this is way off the mark and you sincerely haven't a clue what I'm referring to. Regardless, you needed to hear it.

Here is my example: When I was responded to one of your posts by outlining in detail how the majority of members here manage the high prices despite being on limited incomes, you replied with: "..HOWEVER, it doesn't address the OP's topic. the thread is about insane pricing." I thought that was stunningly rude, considering the entire reason I took the time to share that with you was because your preceding post began with this snide amplification: "the labels being discussed are not meant for "ordinary folk". they're meant for people who can afford to drop 20k easier than those who scrape together a couple hundred bucks to go shopping".

I read a little "us against them" in there, which made me think maybe this person is venting from an outcast's vantage point. The tactless reply of "shit this, shit that" suddenly solidified that assumption. Listen, I'll tell you a secret, endorphinz: everyone on here is a fucking outcast! Seriously. The nature of this forum proves it.. You came out swinging possibly toward the very people you may be surprised to find have more in common with you than you think.

I'm sorry I suggested that on your 5th birthday, your family cat announced you were adopted. It was silly of me to come out of the gate swinging like that, wasn't it?

Peace.

P.S. Not wanting to resuscitate this conversation, just thought you'd appreciate knowing how I see what I see.

without regurgitating everything:

i stand by what i posted posted and, apparently so does everyone else. they're just hypersensitive about owning it.

These labels/brands/designers are supported and maintained by people who don't sacrifice, save for months, wait for sales or skip an electric bill. The rest of us are just along for the ride.

and, i don't recall asking a question.

however, your apology is accepted and in fact, i do dig you attitude and steeze.

peace indeed

Comment

• fenrost
                        Banned
                        • Mar 2009

Originally posted by mortalveneer View Post
                        I wouldn't quite say fast...the majority of the items in my wardrobe that are of the ilk we're discussing here I have had for 2-5 years. However, whenever I consider a clothing expense beyond my easy affordability, I would see myself as stupid to not evaluate those items in my wardrobe that still hold value to others that perhaps exceeds the comparatively diminished number of wears said item is currently getting from me.

Fact of the matter is, I can't afford to make that many purchases a year of items from these designers, and considering the value of items in my closet is one way to increase this number, ultimately increasing the true value my wardrobe holds for me. This way, I can dissipate my money across fine wines, clothing, ski trips, dubstep vinyl, art & photo books, sour ales, and any other of my nigh-endless consumptive interests that I so greatly enjoy.

As I stated in my original post, it just comes to a more stringent budget constraint than most folks on this board. I wish I didn't have to apply such a stringent financial lens to all my purchases and current possessions (and likely someday will not need to), but I would consider myself foolish to not do so as things currently stand.

Clarification:

I don't explicitly consider a given item's resale value when deciding to purchase, except in the vague sense that almost all of the designers we're discussing do tend to hold more value than most clothing out there. I also follow the, "I am in love with this item, I can currently afford it...so I subsequently 'kop' it." However, given the very real resale value we're discussing, of course when purchasing a new EXPENSIVE item, older items in my wardrobe enter into it as an asset that is holding some value to me, and perhaps more value to someone else.
                        not saying it's wrong to resell, and understandably, newer stuff are always enticing.

its the way some comments have put reselling as a priority, and reasoning to go for these higher end labels. It just show doubts and insincere, or just bandwagoning.

I love clothes, but i also would love them to be in my closet as long as possible.

Comment

• pierce
                          Banned
                          • Aug 2009

Thats one thing settled and we can all agree on, that we all love clothes

Comment

• endorphinz
                            Banned
                            • Jun 2009

Originally posted by pierce View Post
                            we can all agree on, that we all love clothes
                            well said!

Comment

• theaddict
                              • Apr 2008

I must admit that as a non native speaker I really enjoy your posts interest1. Very nice line of thought, you could be a good lawyer;)
                              Enviormental freaks, move away! My scarf will travel around the world and back!

Comment

• Johnny
                                • Sep 2006

there's certainly the cogency that you would get with a lawyer, but way too much flair for it to be simple advocacy.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎