X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

There was a technical problem of unknown origins and epic proportions, but our guru killed it like Palin kills a moose. Sorry for the induced rest and causing withdrawal symptoms in some members.
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• theetruscan
      • Jan 2008

Glad you got it under control. Sorry you all had to go through that trouble.

Is there any plan to add tapatalk to the forum? As I understand it, it costs site owners nothing to add it onto VBulletin, and it makes forums much nicer to brows from iphones and android phones. (though the iphone/android client is not free)
      Hobo: We all dress up. We all put on our armour before we walk out the door, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that we’re trying to be someone else.

Comment

• dddr
        • Jan 2008

think that's a good call, despite having only a couple posts i've been here for quite some times, the site now needs some sort of "protection" i reckon.

however,

that means the feeds no longer work now

Comment

• Faust
          kitsch killer
          • Sep 2006

No plans to do tapatalk. I will not do just a generic version - I want it to be aesthetically consistent with the main site, but that costs a chunk of money that I thought I'd recoup with app sales, but this does not seem to be the case.
          Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• kuugaia
            • Feb 2010

Originally posted by Shucks View Post
            what does bother me is that all of a sudden, you've now turned the content of the site - which is generated by the members in their free time - into a commodity which is for sale. that - plus the fact that you brush it all off so easily as if it doesn't matter - makes it seem like you've now changed the guiding principles of this place 180 degrees.

that just isn't cool.

my 2 cents. i'm done.
            For what it's worth, I get the point you're trying to make. And you're right. But nothing these days is black or white, so what can we do but use the best shade of grey we have at our disposal. Even if the best we got isn't that close.

Before this forum change, people were making money off you without paying for it. Now they kinda have to pay for it.

Comment

• zamb
              • Nov 2006

Originally posted by kuugaia View Post
              For what it's worth, I get the point you're trying to make. And you're right. But nothing these days is black or white, so what can we do but use the best shade of grey we have at our disposal. Even if the best we got isn't that close.

Before this forum change, people were making money off you without paying for it. Now they kinda have to pay for it.

I have never had a discussion with Faust about this, but since i know him in real life and before the forums were started, let me see if i can help to explain a little bit further.
              Even though Im not sure if my explanation is necessarily correct.

This forum started as a place where there should be an intelligent, articulate discussion about the various aspects of fashion and its relationship to contemporary life..............for him it was never about making money, and I personally know that there has been numerous opportunities for him to make money from the forum, that he has resisted....................
              However, I don't see how difficult it is for people to understand that with the upkeep of the forums, with the time it takes to maintain etc, and the very fact that there are people making and potentially making huge sums of Money from its content, some amount of regulation isn't necessary.

Let me also say here that i am a part of the group who has made money through this forum and has no bones about paying something, even though so far I have not been asked to do so...............I've been a designer for years and the best Ive experience with respect to my work has been since I've been a member here, even though that was never my reason for joining this forum.

Heck, I could be all cool and mystical about it, but heaven knows where my company would be without SZ, and while many will not willingly admit, many of these mystical, too cool to communicate with you designers, owe a ton of their value to this forum

I also don't see why some people as intelligent and smart as they project themselves to be, have a problem with making money, as if its a bad thing...............
              We live in a world where just by how its run, the very nature of existence requires money, and if large companies and all can use the content here for research etc, and profit form that, i don't see why regulating it, and making it more difficult and costly to access should be a problem.
              “You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
              .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

• Faust
                kitsch killer
                • Sep 2006

Zam, don't bother. When they grow up and face the reality of paying rent and putting food on their table (and on that of their children), they will understand.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• cjbreed
                  • Feb 2009

true. its hard out here for a pimp
                  dying and coming back gives you considerable perspective

Comment

• kuugaia
                    • Feb 2010

Thank you zamb, for bothering.

I don't disagree at all with the forum change or the regulations. SZ has come to the point where these changes are necessary. Maybe you misinterpreted the tone from my previous post? I was merely stating that the solutions for problems may not always be flawless. Because as others have stated, it is very easy to bypass this new regulation.

Comment

• eat me
                      • May 2009

Faust, I was thinking, maybe there could be a sub-section in Classifieds for people to create threads for things they want to buy, and what are the acceptable prices etc.

E.g. I am looking for one particular top and I don't really have time to trawl through classifieds, yahoo.jp etc. every few days, so it would be nice for people in a similar situation to just make a post of what they're looking for, and the sellers to contact them. Would benefit the sellers as well.

What do you think? Can limit the participating members in this sub-category to a 100 post limit or something as well.

Comment

• kanne
                        • Jun 2009

I think that was already discussed a few pages before. Someone had actually the same idea but I don't think there was a conclusion made.

Comment

• eat me
                          • May 2009

^ maybe now it's the time to make one? I really think it could be of use.

Comment

• kanne
                            • Jun 2009

I think it's a great idea - disregarding whether I would/could use it or not. The current WTB-threads are easily overlooked and it doesn't really make sense to push threads looking for very rare pieces every other day. The 'help finding'-thread isn't very lucid, too.

A list as it was suggested or a subforum would help a lot, I assume.
                            Last edited by kanne; 02-07-2011, 07:25 AM.

Comment

• Faust
                              kitsch killer
                              • Sep 2006

I can make a subforum. I am afraid that it will get lost even more.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• eat me
                                • May 2009

Let's try.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎