X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • zamb
    • Nov 2006

Originally posted by Faye View Post
    thanks for the amazing insight, zam! really enjoyed it. and I never imagined that the hand-dying process is that much time-consuming.
    thanks P,
    Its not really that time consuming, in the sense that you can do other stuff while the process is happening. once you are doing the pre-soaking you can leave the garment and go do other stuff, and after the immersion into the dye bath, you can Stir, step away and return every ten or so minutes to stir again,
    My assistant, B, was so fascinated by the process she stayed for the entire time and stirred constantly.................I don't have that kind of patience
    “You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
    .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

• Chinorlz
      • Sep 2006

Great production series of images Z!

Giving the forum a peek into the studio and describing the process of creating the final product really adds another dimension to the work. Cold dyeing, vat dying, object dying can now actually be visualized and not just some catch phrase that people throw around. Behind these descriptions is hours and hours and hours of experimentation and work... especially for those that create on such preciously small scales and produce incredible work.
      www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• (((o
        • May 2009

This was indeed very interesting to read and see. Is this the same type of dye that will be used on my dna's?
        i've seen things you people wouldn't believe

Comment

• zamb
          • Nov 2006

Originally posted by (((o View Post
          This was indeed very interesting to read and see. Is this the same type of dye that will be used on my dna's?
          Yes if you decide to go with the overdyed version
          there is also the possibility of having it in Black canvas that doesn't need to be dyed, from which we are producing the overclocked version of the jeans.
          I will post a few pictures of the overlocked version in pure black heavy canvas tonight

Comment

• quiet noise
            Banned
            • Dec 2008

zamb, i really like the fact that you wear your own stuff. i respect designers who create stuff that they actually want to wear themself, and not just to satisfy the market/audiance. you should model for your stuff, noone can pull it off better than you!

i dont like to pretend to be a fashion critic, i just think its damn inspiring to witness artists in their creative process, struggle and success. so, i feel a little obligated to thank you for sharing this process with us! this community has some real gems. im curious, what are your ambitions for dialogue? is it your call, your life project, or do you have other plans that might interefere, like albert? in a world of sweatshops and mass production, its refreshing to know that there are still some people who puts their hearts and souls into the process of making garments, and i hope you will remain a clear voice above the chaotic jangle that is the fashion industry.

anyways, i was really tempted to order the "inner jacket" but sadly its way out of my league. i can only hope that it pops up in the classifies someday, i want to own it just to be able to pull the "so i heard you like leather jackets so we put a leather jacket in your leather jacket so you can be twice the baller" routine :)
            Last edited by quiet noise; 04-10-2011, 01:49 PM.

Comment

• zamb
              • Nov 2006

/\ Thanks for your kind words.
              I got into this business at a young age, with the possibility of dressing myself being the first foray, without having any professional intent.
              back then there were no "designers" in Jamaica, only tailors and dressmakers. I didn't even know then it was possible to have a career as a designer

Tailoring was not a noble profession, it was for people from the lower class who were not academically inclined, whose parents sent them to learn "a trade" so as to be able to make a living.
              Many of these men were "womanizers" who had many children and could not be relied on to produce work in a timely fashion, thus, they were of the sort that had very little respect in their communities...........

85% of what I know is self taught, however I first learned how to sew by making a necessary deal with a tailor in my community.
              We became friends and I used to hang at his studio and thus learned how to sew. I started making clothes for myself...........then friends requested, and I obliged, then their friends came and so on, next thing I knew I had a business as a designer, without making the conscious decision to become one.

I was one of the most brilliant of my friends and siblings, so it wasn't a nice idea in the eyes of my parents to take up this profession. its only now that my mother has finally seen its possible to make a living doing this work and she has come to accept this reality

Yes, I design what I would like to wear, but I wear other designers stuff too, cause other people design things that i like and want to wear. and its also a good thing to support others

the Company is called Zam Barrett Dialoge, because I see fashion and this creative process as a collaboration between creator and client. My work is about providing for the needs of the end user, so its important for me to listen to the consumer in order to best provide a product that suits his needs. this does not mean though that i will compromise my integrity, or design things I dont believe in.........whatever i create must meet my own personal standards and philosophical beliefs.

I have no other plans for anything else than living a respectable and Godly life, taking care of my family and continue working to the benefit of my fellowmen. I could easily have not been here, have not accomplished this much, been dead like many of my friends that I grew up with, so to look at what i've done I find a personal level of satisfaction that I have beaten the odds.
              I wanted when I was younger, Like my friend Albert to Study medicine, but i'm too old for that now..........I don't think I would have loved it anyways, not as much as I love making clothes at least. so for me its all about getting better at what do now.
              I have already done everything I've dreamed of doing in life...........now its only about doing them better...........
              Last edited by zamb; 04-10-2011, 10:23 PM.

Comment

• quiet noise
                Banned
                • Dec 2008

amazing post zamb, i dont feel worthy to reply. ill promise you one thing though, when i finish my studies and hopefully get a well payed job, ill buy a complete wardrobe of zam barret dialogue.

i wish you the best of luck and that your inspiration never dries out.

Comment

• zamb
                  • Nov 2006

Hello All,

again we have to thank everyone for their kinds words of love and support.
                  we are a small Studio who is experiencing a significant growth and uptick in the business, we are happy for that, we are also doing everything we can to give proper attention to getting the work done, getting the products to the clients on time without compromising the quality and integrity of the work.

If you send us an email or a PM and you don't get an answer right away, it isn't because we are ignoring you, its because we are busy making the wonderful products about which you are inquiring.

So that I don't have to answer every small question that the answer can be known by reader here, i will stat this again

• we have closed off orders for the FW 2011 season. any item that is to be purchased from this collection will have to be bought through the stores which will carry the line, or the items we will sell directly to the clients, the possibility to special order items is no more, the deadline has passed.

• There will be several items available for purchase directly through the Studio for the Spring Summer 2011 season. the list of these items is available here. items will be ready in about two weeks or so, as we are running a bit behind, but preorders can be made from here on out

• In addition to these items mentioned above there may be several others that we are contemplating, we will make mention of those very soon.

• Images of all the items will be made available by the end of this week, we haven't posted them as yet because we want them to be photographed properly for you to get a very good view of the items,

• If you have ordered an item and would like to follow up on its progress, you can email the Studio at: dialogue@zambarrett.com, otherwise we will notify you when its ready and make the necessary arrangements for delivery.

• Please be patient with us, this year is shaping up to be a hectic year, but we will continue to work hard, to design and make great products and show love for everyone support.

thanks again
                  Blessings
                  ZB

Comment

• zamb
                    • Nov 2006

Hello All,

Wear pleased to finally announce that the Spring Summer 2011 Studio Stock items are ready for purchase

Lots of Items in limited runs and several Variations are available

An official list of all the items available will be published tomorrow afternoon, along with the corresponding images.

For item availability pricing inquiries please send us a PM or contact the Studio at dialogue@zambarrett.com.

thanks again
                    talk soon
                    Blessings
                    ZB

Comment

• zamb
                      • Nov 2006

Spring 2011 Studio Stock Items.......

Raw Silk magic Penny Shirt

Only six produced, three grey, three black, size 46-48-50.
                      100% unrefined raw silk, with herringbone hand stitching on the collar and real rough hewn pearl buttons. Semi concealed buttons on front with hand tacking. unfinished hem with fray limit binding and hanging loop on back collar.

Long Sleeve Echadh seam top

100% Cotton jersey, very soft and somewhat stretchy. Single center back seam and single rotating seam along the sleeves, no side seam, no underarm seam. This seasons version has been resized with a longer 32" torso length with unfinished hems so that the wearer can cut the garment to desired length or wear as is. Available in Black and Grey, only twelve produced. Six black, six grey. in Small// Medium// Large.

Short Sleeve Heavy Cotton Echadh Seam Top

Short sleeved version of our signature Echadh seam top, made in a durable heavy cotton fabric, also resized with a longer torso length and same detailing as the long sleeve version. Only seven were produced. available in black only, in Small// Medium// Large.
                      Last edited by zamb; 04-20-2011, 11:16 PM.

Comment

• zamb
                        • Nov 2006

Semi sheer Cotton DNA Sleeve Top

DNA Sleeve top made in a semi sheer lightweight Cotton, again resided with extra long torso length. fabric really shows the beauty of the DNA Sleeve drape when worn.
                        Second pic has a swatch of red fabric underneath to show the semi sheer effect when layered over a contrasting color
                        Only ten produced, in Small// Medium// Large. available in black only

Slim "Tissue" Scarf
                        Gorgeous super light scarves that are perfect for those who like to wear them all seasons. incredibly high quality fabrics that are from the same mills that produces the Faliero Sarti line of fabrics and also for the great Parisian couture houses. scarves are 100% tissue weight wool with an amazing color and texture.
                        longer edges are clean finished with diagonal edges left unfinished for gentle fraying. Available in maroon red and overdyed black with hints or red showing underneath. scarves are 16" wide and 115" long, so they can be wrapped around multiple times
                        . Only six produced, three maroon and three black

Double ply "Graphic" Scarf

Signature Double ply Scarf made of two contrasting summer weight fabrics. First fabric is 100% Sheer wool in black, and second fabric is is a blend consisting of a 60/40 linen and silk combination.
                        Only four of these are produced. available only in the color shown. black and off white combo. Scarf measures approx 16' wide and 80" Long.

Last edited by zamb; 04-20-2011, 11:51 PM.

Comment

• zamb
                          • Nov 2006

Overlocked DNA Jeans

Overlocked version of our DNA Jeans pant. made in heavy black 12oz canvas, that is thick but not stiff. Unfinished hems,
                          Super long 46 length inseam and button fly. Only Six of these are produced and one stays with me. available in 46// 48// 50.
                          Last edited by zamb; 05-03-2011, 11:20 PM.

Comment

• zamb
                            • Nov 2006

Hello all,

to save myself from answering unnecessary questions here goes.

• We do not publish the prices for the items as this is not a sales thread and we respect the Forums policies and the privilege we have, so to access the prices of available Studio items please send us an email at: dialogue@zambarrett.com and we will gladly forward the prices to you.

• For members of SZ there are variable discounts on some items, so please specify the item and we will let you know the discount available

• 95% of our Items are made in our Studio by a team of four people headed by myself. I make patterns, I sew buttons, I fix machines, I sweep the floor, I serve lunch to the staff and whatever else is necessary to make beautiful clothes. So no, our items are not made in a Large factory.

• Pictures for the rest of the pants will be available soon, but if you read just a few post above you can get images of all the pants that will be available.

thanks to everyone for their support.
                            Blessings
                            ZB

Comment

• zamb
                              • Nov 2006

Hello All

We cannot thank everyone enough for thier kind and continued support of our work. .........again a big thank you.

If you send us an email or a PM, we ask for your patience, we are usually quick to respond but at times we are busy, so please give it a day or so, before thinking we aren't paying you any mind. we are sometimes busy making the beautiful stuff, solving problems, or just need some rest to not fall apart

Also, please read this thread carefully for updates and announcements so that there be no misunderstanding in our communication with you all.

• If you send us an email, we get them from all over the world, so if you are an SZ member please let us know and give u your screen name so we know who wear are communicating with. the members here have been good to us and receive benefits exclusive to the members here so don't miss out on that.

• We apologize for not posting the pictures of the available pants as yet but promise to do so before the end of the week.

• Regarding the DNA Jeans, there are several variations available. here they are:

1. Overlocked DNA Jeans made from heavy cotton canvas that inst overdyed but originally black. we are sold out of the size 50 in these, so only 46 and 48 available
                              2. Overdyed DNA Jeans. there are two versions of this. a lightweight canvas available in black only and a heavier weight brushed canvas shown below

.The heavy version is available in Charcoal grey and black. the process here is as follows, the item exist in its original predyed condition, with a 47" inseam after ordering whether grey or black, and specifying your inseam length, the jeans are finished to your length and then dyed your selected color, in the same process, that is shown here
                              3. Soft J Pants this pants comes in 100% heavy linen in black only. the Cotton version is available in black or Charcoal, with the process of dyeing and inseam length being the same as above.
                              4. Pleated Peasant Pant. this pants comes in a wonderful jet black double ply cotton, there is no choice of inseam length or color with this pants as it is only available in one fabric and one color with a 44" inseam.

I hope this post clears up any misunderstanding that may have existed..................sometimes i wish there weren't so many choices

• we are not taking any custom orders at the moment, we have our hands full and cannot take any more at this time. unless you are willing to wait until July or August to receive an item. we cannot give you a turnaround until then. We will open up a window of opportunity after our Paris trip for those who so desire to order a few items from the FW 2011 collection.

Thanks again and Blessings to all
                              ZB

Comment

• zamb
                                • Nov 2006

Hello All

• there seemed to have been a little bit of a confusion regarding the SZ discount with some clients. there exited a variable discount on some items, ranging from 10-20% . after going over the subject matter we have decided to extend a standard 25% discount on all Spring Summer Studio items to all members of this forum. Sorry Lurkers, you have to be a member to benefit. Please send us your screen name in your email so we know who you are.

• Also Free shipping is available to all US based members of the forums, regardless of the item

• All Magic Penny shirts in grey have been sold, we only have Black available, there were three produced in grey, 46/ 48/ 50. they are all gone.........Thanks.

• Overlocked DNA Jeans in size 50 is no longer available, only 48, and 46 are left............thank you

• All other items available in all sizes.

Blessings
                                ZB

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎