X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kunk75
    Banned
    • May 2008

not sure if you are a health spammer at this point but cutting carbs after a certain hour has no effect whatsoever. it's all about the glycemic index of the carbs you choose. studies also show you can absorb roughly 40-50g of protein at a sitting.

Originally posted by mnml crmnl View Post
    eat a lot of protein at each meal and cut the carbs completely after about 6pm. and i work out 4 times a week.
    how much is alot of protein? your body can only absorb something like 18 grams every few hours.. excess protein that is not used--your body stores--as fat... you dont need too much protein, especially if you dont care about big muscles.. a few hardboiled eggs in the morning, some smoked salmon in a salad at lunch or dinner could be sufficient---load up more on veggies and fruit

lately i've been doing kind of a circuit training full body workout thing involving my largest muscle groups. i don't count reps but i try to do as many reps as possible in a certain amount of time and move on to the next exercise with no rest between. so i drop weight when fatigued to keep the reps going. and i vary the exercises day by day to mix it up. then i run but only for 20 min or so because i hate running.
    sounds like you have a decent plan. 20 minutes of running is good.. if can fit this in to your day at a different time, that would be ideal... doing a long intense workout is not necessary for burning fat, ideally two or three 20-30 min workouts really rev up your metabolism

i don't care about big muscles but i need lower body fat % and more lean muscle tone. i think i've reached an age where my metabolism is half what it used to be. i'm really fighting nature to be lean and don't want to waste precious time in the gym and i feel i'm not getting the results i want right now...

speed up your metabolism by eating smaller portions more often... depending on the logisitcs of planning your day, and access to food at work---do the best you can to eat as many meals as possible, the more meals the smaller they need to be.. also think of your body like an engine, and you are a poor student, only filling it up with enough gas to get from point A to B.

hot sauce, green tea, fibrous vegetables that require calories to be expended to digest, dont drink any calories

Comment

• kunk75
      Banned
      • May 2008

here is my normal lifting schedule:

tuesday:
      push press, 135 x 15, 175 x 10, 205 x 6, 225 x 4

bench press, 225 x 15, 275 x 12, 315 x 8, 365 x 6

chins with 50lb dbell, 4 x 10

barbell curl, 135 x 10, 165 x 8, 185 x 5

french press, 135 x 10, 165 x 8, 185 x 5

20 minutes core work including kettlebell crunches and hanging raises

thursday:
      squat

365 x 10, 425 x 8, 475 x 6, 525 x 4

leg extensions, 225 x 7, 3 sets

leg curls, 200 x 7, 3 sets

sat and sunday are respective repeats

Comment

• mnml crmnl
        • Dec 2009

KUNK: health spammer! ha! nice..

if you read earlier, "cut out carbs completely.." was me quoting him(cjbreed)---and i didnt comment on this point... i was commenting on loading up on protein.. loading up on protein is something people seeking hypertrophy do, and isnt necessary given the goals he outlined earlier.

i agree with you

as far as the protein absorption goes.. sure. there is no unanimous agreement, no study has confirmed a number--sorry if I came off as claiming it as gospel of paul, i have seen lower numbers from seemingly more reputable sources more often... obviously alot of variables are to be considered. i was just trying to shy away from this idea that excessive amounts of protein is only a good thing--a well balanced diet is a better thing.

heirloom: yeah that shit about celery seems silly, but also moot. surely some foods take longer to break down, and hence you have more time to burn them as fuel before your body stores them as fat.

Comment

• laughed
          • Jul 2009

looks like no one but cameron diaz considers being a whore an exercise...that or no one here is getting laid...
          anyway, i eat like crap now. I used to work out all the time. I used to run all the time too until my ankle blew out. Once that happened I stopped running and cardio and lifting- my ankle was so bad i couldnt even lift weights. I even had a personal trainer. Now...well, Im gonna get back on it. I used to take 17 vitamins a day, spend a shitload on supps and really take what I was eating seriously. But started doing the weekend binge thing, drinking a lot, smoking a lot and working a lot during the week. pretty soon im gonna go on the cleanse (shit works, i swear by it) and get my shi back together.....btw i fall in the second category, im not getting any, been about a year - by decision though. trust me.

Comment

• kunk75
            Banned
            • May 2008

sorry, was a long day.

KUNK: health spammer! ha! nice..

if you read earlier, "cut out carbs completely.." was me quoting him(cjbreed)---and i didnt comment on this point... i was commenting on loading up on protein.. loading up on protein is something people seeking hypertrophy do, and isnt necessary given the goals he outlined earlier.

i agree with you

as far as the protein absorption goes.. sure. there is no unanimous agreement, no study has confirmed a number--sorry if I came off as claiming it as gospel of paul, i have seen lower numbers from seemingly more reputable sources more often... obviously alot of variables are to be considered. i was just trying to shy away from this idea that excessive amounts of protein is only a good thing--a well balanced diet is a better thing.

heirloom: yeah that shit about celery seems silly, but also moot. surely some foods take longer to break down, and hence you have more time to burn them as fuel before your body stores them as fat.

Comment

• jcotteri
              • Jun 2008

I would only add that I think cutting "carbs" from your diet is a load of bullshit.
              WTB: This

Comment

• perplexe
                • May 2010

I suppose without the tremendous amount of dark chocolate or occasional ice cream I eat, my diet is pretty good. I enjoy tea (not a coffee fan), a lot of water. I eat a lot of dried fruits, nuts (almonds, walnuts), halibut since it's the west coast, and very little junk food. I quit smoking a while back and I only really stick to whiskey and red wine nowadays.

Besides that, exercise is something I need to improve on, besides all of the uphill walking. I really need to stop sleeping so much...

Comment

• t-bone
                  • Dec 2009

I am extremely thoughtful about what I eat, but that doesn't mean it is all healthy, just not processed industrial crap. No soda or fast food either. I started running a few years back so that I could keep eating all the good shit and not get fat. I started lifting pretty heavily around 2 years ago but my legs and shoulders started outgrowing my clothes, so now I do a twice a week full-body split along with about 20 miles of running. I am obsessive about anything I become interested in, so I've read scores of books and articles and inane forum posts on this stuff as well, and I feel I've gotten to a perfectly balanced routine for myself.

Comment

• cjbreed
                    • Feb 2009

how much is alot of protein? your body can only absorb something like 18 grams every few hours.. excess protein that is not used--your body stores--as fat...
                    thanks for the thoughtful post mnml crmnl (great user name too). that's the kind of post i'd like to see in here, and the debate that follows. i'm definitely not loading up on the protein. i just try to incorporate a good amount in each meal. nowhere near the levels that my body would not be able to store

Originally posted by kunk75 View Post
                    cutting carbs after a certain hour has no effect whatsoever. it's all about the glycemic index of the carbs you choose.
                    can u elaborate a little? i'm no expert for sure but what i've been advised to do, and what i'm doing, basically amounts to taking in complex carbs from low calorie sources throughout the day and then completely cutting what i believe are the high GI carbs (like white rice, most breads, pastas, potatos and the sugary carbs like deserts) for dinner and evening snacks. the thinking with respect to cutting carbs at night here is about insulin management. (to keep blood sugar levels stable, lower insulin demand.) we're more predisposed to adding fat mass by eating carbs at night because our body doesn't handle the hormone insulin as well as it does earlier in the day. this is because cortisol levels are higher at night. also, the reason to cut carbs (and calories) at night is that i simply no longer need them. at night i become completely inactive for a couple hours and then i'm asleep. to me it just seems logical to ingest nutrient dense meals with decent amounts of complex carbs earlier in the day and cut the calories and carbs at night, since my overall goal is fat loss.

Originally posted by jcotteri View Post
                    I would only add that I think cutting "carbs" from your diet is a load of bullshit.
                    nobody said to do that j. that would be insane for any health conscious person to consider.
                    dying and coming back gives you considerable perspective

Comment

• MoFiya
                      • Sep 2007

Originally posted by cjbreed View Post
                      also, the reason to cut carbs (and calories) at night is that i simply no longer need them. at night i become completely inactive for a couple hours and then i'm asleep.
                      A myth... you burn nearly as much calories when asleep compared to being awake (doing sports aside). Brain & body is working nevertheless!

IMO when it comes to food, forget about extreme diets. I guess what is healthy is commonly known (e.g. much veggie and fruit, complex carbohydrates, long-chain polyunsaturated fatty acid, ... whatever). Forget about all the strict diets that tell you when to eat how much.
                      If you want to loose weight, eat less do more sports. That's about it.

Of course, might work for some people. My personal oppinion is just, also from the viewpoint of somebody who enjoys eating, any restriction will lead you away from a balanced diet.
                      Choose good nutrition sources and eat them.
                      I have dreams of orca whales and owls
                      But I wake up in fear

BBS for sale (Sz 48-52)

Comment

• TheNotoriousT
                        • Oct 2009

Originally posted by MoFiya View Post
                        A myth... you burn nearly as much calories when asleep compared to being awake (doing sports aside). Brain & body is working nevertheless!

IMO when it comes to food, forget about extreme diets. I guess what is healthy is commonly known (e.g. much veggie and fruit, complex carbohydrates, long-chain polyunsaturated fatty acid, ... whatever). Forget about all the strict diets that tell you when to eat how much.
                        If you want to loose weight, eat less do more sports. That's about it.

Of course, might work for some people. My personal oppinion is just, also from the viewpoint of somebody who enjoys eating, any restriction will lead you away from a balanced diet.
                        Choose good nutrition sources and eat them.

WORD!!!
                        "Townes Van Zandt is the best songwriter in the world and I'll stand on Bob Dylan's coffee table in my cowboy boots and say that"

Comment

• kunk75
                          Banned
                          • May 2008

the timing is inconsequential, the type is more important. generally slow-digested carbs are ok except right after training when you want something that can be quickly absorbed.

For instance, toasting bread can help slow digestion as opposed to eating bread out of the package. additionally, steadfast rules have to be altered sometimes. I train from 8:30-9:30 and have 50g of simple carbs immediately after. how can you not ingest carbs after a certain hour if you train at night?

Comment

• cjbreed
                            • Feb 2009

yeah i think there are mixed opinions on this. i thought this was a good article on the idea -

former fat guy blog

also for the record, i'm not fat

i'm more trying to go from this to this:

well.....maybe more like this

no...more like somewhere between the 2

Comment

• kunk75
                              Banned
                              • May 2008

do you mean from no sunglasses to sunglasses?

Comment

• cjbreed
                                • Feb 2009

yes exactly. and no pants indoors to no pants outdoors

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎