Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • philip nod
    • Aug 2007

it's amazing how people won't bat an eye spending an average of over $3000 on an outfit, usually one of many, but conceivably have no loyalty to an incredible resource and platform for the zeitgeist. on the other hand, if I was in charge, and was faced with this tough decision, I would up the ante for the affliates. they are the advertisers here. they drive the Market, they set the outrageous prices, they sling the crack rock, and I can only guess that their client base and traffic has increased exponentially for the exposure. i doubt that they'll walk.
    One wonders where it will end, when everything has become gay.

Comment

• Fuuma
      • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Faust View Post
      Thank you for all the comments. I know I cannot satisfy everyone - it's impossible. But I don't think the classifieds will drop this drastically. As Christian says, there is a clear benefit in posting in classifieds here - it's not the only place, but it is the ultimate place go buy things of a certain esthetic without wading through piles of shit. I don't mind if this weeds out those who just want to use SZ to sell.

I also agree with Christian that ranting at something as nominal as 1% fee is quite strange. I mean, Ebay charges nearly 10%. People make money by selling - SZ provides the selling platform.

Like I said before, I want to dedicate myself to SZ full time. We already get exclusive previews from certain designers, inside looks at showrooms, photos, exclusive articles here and in partnership with Scoute. I get so many complements on the quality of the forum from the people in the industry. It can only get better from here, but I need the forum's support.
      I understand your point and truly command your dedication, especially considering I know what you really had to do to get this going and staying relevant but, in a sense, the payment forum members make is through their time and contributions. We basically put our ideas, pictures and offerings in common and this is what brings value to the forum. Just like I'd be wary of getting paid to contribute I don't see why I'd have to pay to share.
      Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
      http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Comment

• Fuuma
        • Sep 2006

Originally posted by philip nod View Post
        it's amazing how people won't bat an eye spending an average of over $3000 on an outfit, usually one of many, but conceivably have no loyalty to an incredible resource and platform for the zeitgeist. on the other hand, if I was in charge, and was faced with this tough decision, I would up the ante for the affliates. they are the advertisers here. they drive the Market, they set the outrageous prices, they sling the crack rock, and I can only guess that their client base and traffic has increased exponentially for the exposure. i doubt that they'll walk.
        They benefit from the overflow without neccessarily needing to advertise on the site (which is an added bonus). In other words let's say having CCP discussed bring them 75% of new business and the 25% left is gained by advertising they will quantify that last %25 and decide if it warrants paying for it or not.

In fact one of the current discussion in social-economy is how we are presently unable to capture the "value" of polinization (think searching on google, contributing to forums, organizing and participating in a free arts festival in a small town, etc) and that it creates economic distorsions. Google is notoriously quick to take advantage of that.

Comment

• Johnny
          • Sep 2006

for what it's worth, I agree with nod's suggestion re the listed affiliates. as far as i can see, getting an account to sell [sz brand] + getting onto store affilite list = $$/euro/£££ etc. in some cases, and for some items, I'd go so far as to say that's it's pretty much a guarantee of selling the items in the popular sizes. if that's correct, then there is a clear and substantial direct financial benefit in the association, which ought to be paid for.

Comment

• Fuuma
            • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Johnny View Post
            for what it's worth, I agree with nod's suggestion re the listed affiliates. as far as i can see, getting an account to sell [sz brand] + getting onto store affilite list = $$/euro/£££ etc.
            But how can you say that if you don't know how much they're already paying?

Comment

• AKA*NYC
              • Nov 2007

^ (@ fuuma's initial post) truth. the impassioned thoughts and opinions of members and dare i say even the (quality) sales threads are what make sz so special. considering that there is a serious prerequisite already in place for sales - a mandatory 100 posts that are monitored for substance - that seems like more than enough of a trade-off. i still think that donations are the way to go but perhaps a donation drive of some sort - with some concrete and convincing data to compel users to donate - would generate more income than a general and somewhat oblique request for money.
              LOVE THE SHIRST... HOW much?

Comment

• Johnny
                • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Fuuma View Post
                But how can you say that if you don't know how much they're already paying?

I suppose all I'm saying is that i would recommend that the site owner and mods asses this and consider whether what they charge ought fairly to be increased. it would involve some dialogue with the stores, and possibly some dissemination of financial results

Comment

• endersgame
                  • Aug 2009

faust, have you consulted with an accountant on how to deal with donations and 1% commissions?

i'm not sure what the business status of sz is. at some point, if you want to turn this place into a full-time venture, you may want to be transparent with the IRS..

Comment

• Faust
                    kitsch killer
                    • Sep 2006

I understand your point and truly command your dedication, especially considering I know what you really had to do to get this going and staying relevant but, in a sense, the payment forum members make is through their time and contributions. We basically put our ideas, pictures and offerings in common and this is what brings value to the forum. Just like I'd be wary of getting paid to contribute I don't see why I'd have to pay to share.
                    You are not paying to be an SZ member. I thought I've made that clear.
                    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Fuuma
                      • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                      You are not paying to be an SZ member. I thought I've made that clear.
                      I know, I meant the general principle. In this type of community it is very hard to acertain value provided/what should be paid for and even harder to apply it.

Comment

• philip nod
                        • Aug 2007

the genius of david berman and the silver jews

Troubles, no troubles, on the line, & I can't stand
                        to see you, I can't stand to see you when you're
                        crying at home. Scotch & penicillin, please try
                        Carlton, a cold black maple hanger & husbands
                        on the run I just got back from a dream
                        attack that took me by surprise & in there
                        I met a lady, her name was Shady Sides & she
                        said, "It's been evening all day long, evening
                        all day long & how can something so old be so
                        wrong". Sin and gravity drag me down to sleep
                        to dream of trains across the sea, trains across
                        the sea. Half hours on earth, what are
                        they worth, I don't know. In 27 years
                        I've drunk fifty thousand beers & they just
                        wash against me like the sea into a pier

Comment

• philip nod
                          • Aug 2007

They benefit from the overflow without neccessarily needing to advertise on the site (which is an added bonus). In other words let's say having CCP discussed bring them 75% of new business and the 25% left is gained by advertising they will quantify that last %25 and decide if it warrants paying for it or not.
                          great point, i imagine if a store wants to continue to make sales from halfway across the world, the new, strong presence of INK and the continued growth for many of the affliates, for example, is a good indicator that they would have relatively high budgets for advertising built into their business plans.
                          Last edited by philip nod; 11-02-2010, 04:30 PM.

Comment

• MikeN
                            • Nov 2007

Here's another vote for charging a membership fee and locking the entire site down.

Comment

• pseudonym
                              • Jun 2009

Originally posted by CUTUP View Post
                              What if the classifides were still kept free, but special privlages where given to those who paid a fee?

ie. Highlighted posts in the classifides to draw more attention to your items, the ability to bump more often then the rules would normally allow, letting you put links in your sig's to your items ect..
                              I think I agree with pretty much all of your ideas Chris, but this one really hits the nail on the head for me.

I would certainly be interested in paying a fee for a "platinum" or "oiled cordovan" membership if it were, in exchange for selling priveleges before 100 posts. Even if it was the case that the fee was yearly, and not a one-time fee. I do not post here often, but do find myself wishing I could list stuff here from time to time. Most of the time I do list stuff on Superfuture/ebay, a SZ member ends up buying it anyway.

I agree also with Eugene and Christian that this Classified section has much more a focused offering than places like Superfuture, which benefits both the buyer and seller really. I have dealt with several members on the buying/trading side here, and have always had a pleasurable transaction.

Comment

• move_ment
                                • Feb 2009

Originally posted by MikeNouveau View Post
                                Here's another vote for charging a membership fee and locking the entire site down.
                                I agree with this 100%, charging for classifieds is like grabbing at straws. The strength here lies within its members and the information they share, discounted wares is just like icing on the sz cake. I'd be happy to pay a one off yearly fee than bother with tedious 1% donations and such.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎