View Poll Results: Should Faust charge a 1% fee for classifieds.

Voters
74. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

21 28.38%
  • No

53 71.62%
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Paying for Classifieds

Quote Originally Posted by Faust View Post
    I don't think you really have thought through the above post, Eternal. By not charging a membership fee for access to the forum, as others have suggested, I am doing exactly what you want me to do, keeping it free in general. By charging for classifieds I am doing exactly what you want me to do - taking a cut from those who benefit monetarily from the forum. This has nothing to do with fashion discussion on the forum - this is a separate thing.

But, if you think that I don't put work in this forum and that anyone can replicate the level of access to privileged information we have here, please feel free to start one and see how easy it is.

But how many people selling their stuff on here really benefit from that? Most people selling there old pieces do not really make any money of it, myself included.
    Its like a second hand market most of the time, people selling stuff they don't need any more to get new pieces.
    I wouldn't mind paying a small fee though.

Concerning the second point and please don't get me wrong, I really appreciate that you and other people created this place and for sure put a whole lot of work in it but ain't it all of us who make this place special? I mean this privileged information you are talking about is provided by far more people than you and the other moderators, no?
    "Townes Van Zandt is the best songwriter in the world and I'll stand on Bob Dylan's coffee table in my cowboy boots and say that"

Oh, don't get me wrong - of course I appreciate the members contribution - they are INVALUABLE. I really don't mean to sound that I am doing ALL the work. But I do bring in content that other members cannot, and so does lowrey through Scoute. It's not just about posting pictures found on other websites - we now have access to Paris showrooms, interviews, exclusive photos, etc. - this is no ordinary web surfing, but real work that used to be reserved for professional fashion journalists and photographers only.
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Oh, don't get me wrong - of course I appreciate the members contribution - they are INVALUABLE. I really don't mean to sound that I am doing ALL the work. But I do bring in content that other members cannot, and so does lowrey through Scoute. It's not just about posting pictures found on other websites - we now have access to Paris showrooms, interviews, exclusive photos, etc. - this is no ordinary web surfing, but real work that used to be reserved for professional fashion journalists and photographers only.

Okay, I can see / agree with that.

As for the payment for the classifieds I guess you just have to go for it and see how it goes from there.
    If we are really talking about something like 1% I really don't see what we are talking about.
    "Townes Van Zandt is the best songwriter in the world and I'll stand on Bob Dylan's coffee table in my cowboy boots and say that"

I can't think of anything more beneficial too someone trying to sell on unwanted/unused clothes than this.

Take away this and ebay and try your luck at the pawnshop dudes.

Barry the pawnshop guy : "i'll give you 40 quid for the boots"

SZ example A : "BUT BUT i paid 1000 euro's i got email print out invoice!, do you know who the fuck XXX is?"

Barry the pawnshop guy : "ice cube from the movie?"

SZ example A : "............."

Barry the pawnshop guy : "good luck with rent/mortgage homeslice"

this all hurts my brain more than child birth hurts vagina's.

What if the classifides were still kept free, but special privlages where given to those who paid a fee?

ie. Highlighted posts in the classifides to draw more attention to your items, the ability to bump more often then the rules would normally allow, letting you put links in your sig's to your items ect..

Kind of like a basic selling package vs an enhanced/priveliged one

Maybe we can get the best of both worlds? or am I suggesting the impossible??
    Quote Originally Posted by marco-von View Post
    this all hurts my brain more than child birth hurts vagina's.

it's amazing how people won't bat an eye spending an average of over $3000 on an outfit, usually one of many, but conceivably have no loyalty to an incredible resource and platform for the zeitgeist. on the other hand, if I was in charge, and was faced with this tough decision, I would up the ante for the affliates. they are the advertisers here. they drive the Market, they set the outrageous prices, they sling the crack rock, and I can only guess that their client base and traffic has increased exponentially for the exposure. i doubt that they'll walk.
    One wonders where it will end, when everything has become gay.

Thank you for all the comments. I know I cannot satisfy everyone - it's impossible. But I don't think the classifieds will drop this drastically. As Christian says, there is a clear benefit in posting in classifieds here - it's not the only place, but it is the ultimate place go buy things of a certain esthetic without wading through piles of shit. I don't mind if this weeds out those who just want to use SZ to sell.

I also agree with Christian that ranting at something as nominal as 1% fee is quite strange. I mean, Ebay charges nearly 10%. People make money by selling - SZ provides the selling platform.

Like I said before, I want to dedicate myself to SZ full time. We already get exclusive previews from certain designers, inside looks at showrooms, photos, exclusive articles here and in partnership with Scoute. I get so many complements on the quality of the forum from the people in the industry. It can only get better from here, but I need the forum's support.
    I understand your point and truly command your dedication, especially considering I know what you really had to do to get this going and staying relevant but, in a sense, the payment forum members make is through their time and contributions. We basically put our ideas, pictures and offerings in common and this is what brings value to the forum. Just like I'd be wary of getting paid to contribute I don't see why I'd have to pay to share.
    Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
    http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Quote Originally Posted by philip nod View Post
    it's amazing how people won't bat an eye spending an average of over $3000 on an outfit, usually one of many, but conceivably have no loyalty to an incredible resource and platform for the zeitgeist. on the other hand, if I was in charge, and was faced with this tough decision, I would up the ante for the affliates. they are the advertisers here. they drive the Market, they set the outrageous prices, they sling the crack rock, and I can only guess that their client base and traffic has increased exponentially for the exposure. i doubt that they'll walk.
    They benefit from the overflow without neccessarily needing to advertise on the site (which is an added bonus). In other words let's say having CCP discussed bring them 75% of new business and the 25% left is gained by advertising they will quantify that last %25 and decide if it warrants paying for it or not.

In fact one of the current discussion in social-economy is how we are presently unable to capture the "value" of polinization (think searching on google, contributing to forums, organizing and participating in a free arts festival in a small town, etc) and that it creates economic distorsions. Google is notoriously quick to take advantage of that.

for what it's worth, I agree with nod's suggestion re the listed affiliates. as far as i can see, getting an account to sell [sz brand] + getting onto store affilite list = $$/euro/ etc. in some cases, and for some items, I'd go so far as to say that's it's pretty much a guarantee of selling the items in the popular sizes. if that's correct, then there is a clear and substantial direct financial benefit in the association, which ought to be paid for.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    for what it's worth, I agree with nod's suggestion re the listed affiliates. as far as i can see, getting an account to sell [sz brand] + getting onto store affilite list = $$/euro/ etc.
    But how can you say that if you don't know how much they're already paying?

^ (@ fuuma's initial post) truth. the impassioned thoughts and opinions of members and dare i say even the (quality) sales threads are what make sz so special. considering that there is a serious prerequisite already in place for sales - a mandatory 100 posts that are monitored for substance - that seems like more than enough of a trade-off. i still think that donations are the way to go but perhaps a donation drive of some sort - with some concrete and convincing data to compel users to donate - would generate more income than a general and somewhat oblique request for money.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuuma View Post
    But how can you say that if you don't know how much they're already paying?

I suppose all I'm saying is that i would recommend that the site owner and mods asses this and consider whether what they charge ought fairly to be increased. it would involve some dialogue with the stores, and possibly some dissemination of financial results

faust, have you consulted with an accountant on how to deal with donations and 1% commissions?

i'm not sure what the business status of sz is. at some point, if you want to turn this place into a full-time venture, you may want to be transparent with the IRS..

I understand your point and truly command your dedication, especially considering I know what you really had to do to get this going and staying relevant but, in a sense, the payment forum members make is through their time and contributions. We basically put our ideas, pictures and offerings in common and this is what brings value to the forum. Just like I'd be wary of getting paid to contribute I don't see why I'd have to pay to share.
    You are not paying to be an SZ member. I thought I've made that clear.
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

You are not paying to be an SZ member. I thought I've made that clear.
    I know, I meant the general principle. In this type of community it is very hard to acertain value provided/what should be paid for and even harder to apply it.

the genius of david berman and the silver jews

Troubles, no troubles, on the line, & I can't stand
    to see you, I can't stand to see you when you're
    crying at home. Scotch & penicillin, please try
    Carlton, a cold black maple hanger & husbands
    on the run I just got back from a dream
    attack that took me by surprise & in there
    I met a lady, her name was Shady Sides & she
    said, "It's been evening all day long, evening
    all day long & how can something so old be so
    wrong". Sin and gravity drag me down to sleep
    to dream of trains across the sea, trains across
    the sea. Half hours on earth, what are
    they worth, I don't know. In 27 years
    I've drunk fifty thousand beers & they just
    wash against me like the sea into a pier

They benefit from the overflow without neccessarily needing to advertise on the site (which is an added bonus). In other words let's say having CCP discussed bring them 75% of new business and the 25% left is gained by advertising they will quantify that last %25 and decide if it warrants paying for it or not.
    great point, i imagine if a store wants to continue to make sales from halfway across the world, the new, strong presence of INK and the continued growth for many of the affliates, for example, is a good indicator that they would have relatively high budgets for advertising built into their business plans.
    Last edited by philip nod; 11-02-2010 at 04:30 PM.

Here's another vote for charging a membership fee and locking the entire site down.

Quote Originally Posted by CUTUP View Post
    What if the classifides were still kept free, but special privlages where given to those who paid a fee?

ie. Highlighted posts in the classifides to draw more attention to your items, the ability to bump more often then the rules would normally allow, letting you put links in your sig's to your items ect..
    I think I agree with pretty much all of your ideas Chris, but this one really hits the nail on the head for me.

I would certainly be interested in paying a fee for a "platinum" or "oiled cordovan" membership if it were, in exchange for selling priveleges before 100 posts. Even if it was the case that the fee was yearly, and not a one-time fee. I do not post here often, but do find myself wishing I could list stuff here from time to time. Most of the time I do list stuff on Superfuture/ebay, a SZ member ends up buying it anyway.

I agree also with Eugene and Christian that this Classified section has much more a focused offering than places like Superfuture, which benefits both the buyer and seller really. I have dealt with several members on the buying/trading side here, and have always had a pleasurable transaction.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeNouveau View Post
    Here's another vote for charging a membership fee and locking the entire site down.
    I agree with this 100%, charging for classifieds is like grabbing at straws. The strength here lies within its members and the information they share, discounted wares is just like icing on the sz cake. I'd be happy to pay a one off yearly fee than bother with tedious 1% donations and such.