Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Rick Owens Men's SS11 Paris

I also find this rather boring. rick is true to his (SS) style for sure, but I wasn´t a fan of it anyway... hopefully there will be some nice pieces backstage.

Rick Owens is one of those designers I would never buy myself,
    but I can still appreciate his vision and aesthetic.

I have been following Rick Owens for a couple of seasons now,
    and all I can say about this collection is that it feels like a deja vu.

I can barely see anything new here. I think it's quite, or very, boring.
    Still, some of the best looks are solid, but overall, it feels 'safe'.

I remember people used to say Ann Demeulemeester was doing the same thing, collection after collection, but now it seems to me Rick Owens is the most stubborn designer.

I can imagine the fans will embrace this, and it will make them happy.
    But for me, I see very little progression.
    Last edited by TarHeart; 06-24-2010 at 03:59 PM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by swami View Post
    That first picture is beautiful C!
    Rick does always very interesting finale, and this one was even more elaborated and complex than the previous one.
    Did some work on the (still shitty) pics I've taken from the final evolutions.

More pics here
    Last edited by Chant; 06-24-2010 at 04:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rider View Post
    from a female point of view, at least this one, its very appealing. stark, slim shapes that accentuate the best parts of a man. somehow its loose while still maintaining the male form. his footwear never does it for me but as a bottom "weight" it does work in this case.
    wholeheartedly agree with this statement.

the only silhouette I enjoyed in the whole show was the tanktop + shorts + slim tall boots with pull tab, I can't identify with the long coats or the saggy boots which you can manipulate with zips.

My first impression was disappointment, but it's slowly growing to me. I don't think that I'm going to love it, but for me it's definitely better than AW10. Some of the silhouettes are quite intriguing. I especially like ''bootcut-styles''.

erm since theres already a ton of photos in thsi thread I'm not gonna repost these, but here are the higher quality shots: http://scoute.org/blog/?p=578

a very safe collection imo. a confusing amount of similar looks, seems like the same coat, shorts etc. show up in a dozen looks.

not bad per se, but nothing extraordinary.
    "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

looks like the guy lives in a giant SS10 sneaker

Quote Originally Posted by BSR View Post

I predict much love for the rider boots..
    And happy to see a new shape to the tanktops

it's a funny old world where a collection containing the look that bsr posted is labelled safe. let's step outside of sz for a sec...it's laughably ridiculous, as well as a rehash of stuff he's done before. one would look like a total turd dressed in that outfit.

the only real lustworth piece (if that even) is these shorts imo

I pretty much agree with Andrew's post on the first page.

For starters I think there are way to many looks.
    There really is no reason this collection needs to 40+ looks, especially considering how basic much of it is.

To me a lot of this looks pretty bad, the good things are the more basic pieces he does every season anyway.
    Some of it looks so bad that it's funny. This for example made me smile:

Eternal mentioned that the jackets and blazers look awkward and I have to say I agree.
    It's a shame since a lot of the ones from the Fall collection are quite nice and it would have been nice to see some more progression on the tailoring side of things.

Have to say that this is my least favorite Rick collection by far and it feels like a big step backwards from the really great fall 2010.

Quote Originally Posted by Catfood View Post
    Have to say that this is my least favorite Rick collection by far and it feels like a big step backwards from the really great fall 2010.
    I completely agree..... this collection is just blah, I really don't know what else to say- I feel like for this collection more than ever Rick really took the backseat, I have to say I'm disappointed.... and I rarely say that about Rick

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Catfood View Post
    There really is no reason this collection needs to 40+ looks, especially considering how basic much of it is.
    Don't forget that a runway presentation is a show. And this was a very good one, with new features, like 2 or 3 models comming at the same time on the stage, and a ver heavy techno music + the smoke. I ued to regret that, due to the models' ultra speed walking, Rick's shows hat jsut begun that they were already finished. Now, models are still running all over the place, the show has a good duration.
    The music was interesting as well, since it's was so loud that you could think about what you saw no more, and were only ipressed by sounds, movements and colours (a lot of black and white this, as the final enhances it).

I do think that this show is very interesting, and in the continuity of the two previous ones (I don't count SS 10, that I didn't like, even though it the time where all the skorts settled down in his vocabulary) : FW 09 and FW 10.
    He's definitely inventing something new, but on the tracks of what he did recently (even though it's very interesting to notice that the so called "tailored stuff", after a short time where Rick was playing with the traditional tailoring codes, is now something absolutely idiosyncratic, and remarkably "laughably ridiculous" - he would love the slogan).
    I'll elaborate later.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by BSR View Post

You're right, hood has the same shape as the SS 10 shark sneakers.
    And he's wearing his sister's boots, ineptly tainted in brown and two years later :

Rick keeps on adapting some women's shape to the mens wardrobe.

This should help your point CH

Fantastic show, I can see the magic in this more later..

Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    Don't forget that a runway presentation is a show. And this was a very good one, with new features, like 2 or 3 models comming at the same time on the stage, and a ver heavy techno music + the smoke.

The music was interesting as well, since it's was so loud that you could think about what you saw no more, and were only ipressed by sounds, movements and colours (a lot of black and white this, as the final enhances it).
    I actually wonder if this is the most interesting point raised: at the end of the day is it a show in its own right, to be judged separately as an entity or is it a marketing tool meant to sell the clothes? As far as i am concerned the show is simply a tool to make people aware of the brand and perhaps inspire them with an ambiance if not an exact look to emulate, so perhaps the deafening sound, movements and colours described above serve that purpose.

I would however argue that if the most impressive thing about a show is the soundtrack, lighting and the fact that the models came two or three at once then the show has failed to some degree at least.

I feel like maybe this kind of discussion has cropped up before but i would be curious to know what people thought about the show and how successful it was to that end (as a marketing tool, not a catalogue), regardless of liking the actual pieces.

really like the video that andrew posted. those reverse geysers in the finale were something else. i do see now how the multiplicity of similar looks was integral to the spectacle. still don't know if i'm convinced but i'm less disappointed after watching this then i was yesterday when i woke up to the white beavis coat and joseph and his polka-dotted monochromatic lab coat.

It does look better moving; and he gets points for using AFX/Polygon Window.

Lets not forget,the looks and pieces for the show are selected by Panos Yiapannis, the stylist that takes care of all of Ricks shows.
    So im sure there will be plenty more surprises within the showroom.

Im never really a big fan of Ricks summer collections in general.
    As a show, it looked great,but in terms of varying product not so.
    merz: your look has all the grace of george michael at the tail end of a coke binge.

Default another opinion

i'm a little surprised that so many are saying they're disappointed in it. especially when it is vastly superior to SS10's denim debacle. i will concede that many of the looks were similar to each other. but i don't mind when he's sending 2 or 3 down the runway at a time. i will also concede that a lot of it is very familiar. new twists on old pieces. but i don't mind that either. it is just a small evolution, rather than the giant leap that was/is FW10. for me SS is always a short story and FW is a novel. and i for one like this story. of course there are some duds - polka dot lab coat, burka boots (i made that up). but all in all it is totally wearable and still utterly unique. we seem to hold rick to a very high standard, basically in comparison to himself. but put that collection up against 99% of what we'll see in paris and it will blow it away. for me anyway.

and i plan on getting a short sleeve jacket. to me its hilarious.

i also love what he's doing with the boots.

bad ass

and why do we always seem to need to remind ourselves that runway presentations are shows?