X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mmmmrk
    • Dec 2009

Originally posted by tricotineacetat View Post
    Funny thought they'd pick up Dior now, whereas they'd leave it untouched during the Hedi Slimane era. Maybe in an attempt to pick up a less elitist customer? They would need to have quite a good choice of classic Dior staples (jeans, trainers) to make it work - or else I don't see why their educated customer would pick up from Kris van Assche's runway collections while they have all the choice in the world to pick up more original pieces from the other designers they are representing.
    That's exactly what they won't have...word is that they're only carrying the runway pieces, which are a pretty consistent fit for their overall aesthetic. The jeans and sneakers would never fly there, but the one armed capes...maybe

Comment

• kuugaia
      • Feb 2010

^ That's what I was thinking, but I suppose we'll have to wait and see.

Originally posted by tricotineacetat View Post
      Everybody seems to rely on the deep-pocketed tourist, but those customers are few and they are not particularly reliable when it comes to spending their money faithfully with one store from season to season
      Atelier has very exceptional customer service where they even remember the little guys, what they bought and for what reason. When your expectations are exceedingly satisfied it's enough reason to come back. Albeit 'small' purchases there could be close to a thousand dollars...

Comment

• christianef
        • Feb 2009

agree with mmmmrk too, this doesnt look far off the ysl stuff they had. seems like they may be trying to balance their aesthetic with more well known luxury names to appeal to a broader client...

Comment

• tricotineacetat
          • Aug 2009

Originally posted by kuugaia View Post
          ^ That's what I was thinking, but I suppose we'll have to wait and see.

Atelier has very exceptional customer service where they even remember the little guys, what they bought and for what reason. When your expectations are exceedingly satisfied it's enough reason to come back. Albeit 'small' purchases there could be close to a thousand dollars...
          For the customer that has no difficulty to indulge himself head to toe with clothes as Atelier is offering (let's face it, even in designer footwear, companies like CCP, Augusta etc. are way, way more expensive than the regular, mainstream luxury brands), stores worldwide have to offer exceptional service... you simply don't sell these clothes by just putting them on the salesfloor and expecting for the customer to search for you and to leave him alone at making his buying decision. I'm sure that accounts for pretty much all the stores affiliated with SZ. That customer will buy in NYC when they are around and in Paris at L'Eclaireur when they have it close by. That really is what most sales clerks and shop owners will be telling you in a moment of honesty.

Comment

• Bataille
            • Aug 2010

There are some nice pieces in this collection however I still feel that KVA is the wrong designer for Dior Homme. I wonder if there truly will be a change of designer? The Gareth Pugh rumor had me excited but that one it appears to have been false.

Comment

• tricotineacetat
              • Aug 2009

Originally posted by Bataille View Post
              There are some nice pieces in this collection however I still feel that KVA is the wrong designer for Dior Homme. I wonder if there truly will be a change of designer? The Gareth Pugh rumor had me excited but that one it appears to have been false.
              The last thing the executives at Dior would want is to abandon the winning formula it took them so long to establish with profitability under Hedi Slimane's creative reign - Let's face it, very few fashion ventures of that scale turn in enough profit as they cost to be kept up, so it would be a stupid idea to throw over board what is only now turning in reliable profit and that has by now found a customer base broader than the die-hard fans Hedi has had from day one.

Comment

• Pumpfish
                • Sep 2010

I think KVA is really getting it right. The balance between commercial and progressive design is one that few can manage. Sell a bunch of trainers, black v necks, black skinny suits, white shirts, then satisify the more design aware customer, with build quality and fabric that independents cannot match. It is a big niche.

This collection cut out the folly and the gimmics. And delivered within austere parameters. Forget the dressing up box.

Appreciate this is 4 months out of date. Oops.
                spinning glue back into horses. . .

Comment

• yoh05
                  • Feb 2009

Originally posted by ProfMonnitoff View Post
                  I agree, this is by far the best Dior Homme by KVA collection so far. It seems like he has found a way to present his vision while staying true to what DH stands for. Those huge flowing coats really do it for me. In these pictures it almost looks like you can see the clothes move.

this seem to have been said about every collection so far, so i guess hes moving towards the right direction at least

having said that, wtf is this shit?

Comment

• neonrider
                    • Jan 2008

was dh under slimane really that difficult to turn profitable (more so than any other new business)? it seems tough to believe - but i'm no fashion industry expert. and if dh is profitable now, doesn't it probably have more to do with selling slimane era staples than kva era design pieces?

as for the clothes, this collection looks nicer on the runway. yet as always with kva, actually trying the clothes on makes one feel sad, like something's not quite right.

just for the hell of it, i tried on a few runway pieces recently. the designs aren't cut for a particular physique, the fit and cut is poor, the lines and fabrics don't really mesh, and the ideas are *almost* there, but not really. it left me really annoyed, kinda nostalgic, and it just seemed like such a waste of the tremendous resources at dior's beck and call.
                    ""assuming the economy doesn't force us to eat the rich and object-tan their hides" -- merz

Comment

• Faust
                      kitsch killer
                      • Sep 2006

Any label is hard to turn profitable in first years, especially when you build flagship stores to prove you have a big dick. It takes a while to get the message out to the masses in order to herd them in to buy jeans, tees, and cologne.
                      Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• XSKY
                        • Jun 2008

All negatives and positives aside, this is KVAs best, and I guess that is all we can ask for... Better days have to come, right? Hedi, stop it with your boy toy photo time and come back.
                        Originally posted by Faust
                        snafu, you are such a kunktease.

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎