• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

/\ well said.
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• mike
      • Dec 2006

how is seeing someone else in your "look" a personal insult? many people here would say they have that "i will wear what i like no matter what is in style" point of view so why should it matter who else is wearing your "look" as long as you like it? i could only understand this reaction from someone such as the actual clothing designer.

Comment

• CUTUP
        • Sep 2009

Originally posted by mike View Post
        how is seeing someone else in your "look" a personal insult? many people here would say they have that "i will wear what i like no matter what is in style" point of view so why should it matter who else is wearing your "look" as long as you like it? i could only understand this reaction from someone such as the actual clothing designer.
        With all due respect man, I feel that statement is taken out of context.

When you truly love what you wear and people begin to mimick it solely to be "hip", you almost take it as a personal insult to your taste and sensibilities
        I was gearing what I said towards people who love the clothing, versus bandwagon jumpers and trend followers who buy garments only because they are "whats in" at the moment. Maybe I should have been more forthcoming in what I said

I would never feel insulted because someone is wearing the same jacket, or shirt/pants. I would feel insulted if they seem like your typical hipster who doesnt give a shit about the clothing, but buys it because they heard being a "goth ninja" is cool.

You can usually spot these people a mile away, as opposed to those who genuinely love what they are wearing. Its a classic example of either being well put together, or throwing on a bunch of high priced brand names in an effort to look well put together. You can usually tell who the hype beasts are

No hate intended Mike, I just feel that my intent was either being warped or misread

@ Faust...Thank you sir
        Last edited by CUTUP; 07-21-2010, 08:01 PM.
        Originally posted by marco-von
        this all hurts my brain more than child birth hurts vagina's.

Comment

• mike
          • Dec 2006

Originally posted by CUTUP View Post
          I would never feel insulted because someone is wearing the same jacket, or shirt/pants. I would feel insulted if they seem like your typical hipster who doesnt give a shit about the clothing, but buys it because they heard being a "goth ninja" is cool.

You can usually spot these people a mile away, as opposed to those who genuinely love what they are wearing. Its a classic example of either being well put together, or throwing on a bunch of high priced brand names in an effort to look well put together. You can usually tell who the hype beasts are

No hate intended Mike, I just feel that my intent was either being warped or misread
          why should it matter if its a hipster, a celebrity, or a fellow sz member? if you are truly this passionate about your clothing, you won't care. it should not matter because you like it that much. your mentality seems to be a bit of a contradiction. its usually the trend seeker who will get upset when they see soandso in thier current favorite "underground designer". after all we are talking about consumer goods that anybody is entitled to buy. once again if you were the designer of a clothing line and saw someone who clearly was not congruent with your vision wearing your clothing i could see the frustration...but only with an avant garde designer ;)

i understand your intent, but this is a discussion after all.

Comment

• Faust
            kitsch killer
            • Sep 2006

mike, it matters because it cheapens the value of the cultural phenomenon. this is exactly why you care, you don't want something that is dear to you to be debased.
            Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• CUTUP
              • Sep 2009

why should it matter if its a hipster, a celebrity, or a fellow sz member? if you are truly this passionate about your clothing, you won't care. it should not matter because you like it that much. your mentality seems to be a bit of a contradiction. its usually the trend seeker who will get upset when they see soandso in thier current favorite "underground designer". after all we are talking about consumer goods that anybody is entitled to buy. once again if you were the designer of a clothing line and saw someone who clearly was not congruent with your vision wearing your clothing i could see the frustration...but only with an avant garde designer ;)

i understand your intent, but this is a discussion after all.
              I like responses which are differant from my own, they provoke thought, so by all means keep them coming

I understand where you are coming from, it just makes me a bit sad to think people may buy a jacket only because Kanye likes it, or how sales of the two tone Rick leather went through the roof because of members of the Black Eyed Peas years ago

Its not that it makes me question what I wear, I will continue to wear what I like, its just senseless to me to dump serious cash on items you dont truly love, thats all. All for the prospect of being part of a trendy crowd

I know styles change. Over the years I went through the whole Diesel everything ( i know I know), to trying out the raw jeans ( albeit briefly) to buying KKA, Rick and others, so I understand it can be about a metamorphisis at times. It also takes time to evolve your knowledge base wide enough to appreciate the thought that goes into the garments that are favoured by members here.

5 years ago I wouldnt be caught dead spending upwards of $500 on a pair of boots, now I view that price as a deal considering the current brands I favor.

I can see how my view might have been miscontrued as a bit of elitism possibly
              Last edited by CUTUP; 07-21-2010, 08:58 PM.
              Originally posted by marco-von
              this all hurts my brain more than child birth hurts vagina's.

Comment

• david s
                • Jul 2010

Interesting thread.

I don't think SZ propagates a herd mentality. If anything I decided to join after reading it for the last year because I find the opinions voiced diverse, informative and entertaining.

Addressing the "dark thing" as an aesthetic, I think goes to Faust's point about having a deeper connection that goes beyond the superficial. What is the saying...our uniform is our "drag", on some level it does convey something else than just clothes on a body.

I tend to lump the majority of men's retail into "jeans & t-shirt" (rag & bone, odin, etc), but again just my opinion.

Or think of Demeulemeester, she's been working the same theme basically for 20+ years, and look at the last collection she did, pretty damn good. Working within a narrow vein allows for a greater expertise the argument could be made.
                It's absolutely Hedious!
                shy poser

Comment

• mike
                  • Dec 2006

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                  mike, it matters because it cheapens the value of the cultural phenomenon. this is exactly why you care, you don't want something that is dear to you to be debased.
                  yeah i can see that if you are looking at something as a whole, such as the designer. but then it comes down to the brand vs. the actual clothes/design itself. and that is a whole different discussion if you buy the clothes for the name or if you like the actual piece.

Comment

• doldrums
                    • Dec 2008

Originally posted by merz
                    you certainly nailed something right there. i had always been drawn towards that particular aesthetic in other things before discovering cdiem-related crowd. and while there is certainly an argument to be made for the, uh, rustic & rugged aspects of that aesthetic, i think there is quite a bit of streamlined (arguably more so than in any other sartorial offerings i can think of) elegance coming from that direction as well..

(& maybe i'm romanticising my own chosen aesthetic just a little? but who could blame me)
                    that mackintosh was my iphone opening screen (not sure if thats ironic)

Comment

• Sombre
                      • Jan 2009

It comes across as an insult because the clothes that have become a part of your personal identity have become watered down. Onlookers, realizing that you signature "look" has spread to every fashionista around, will no longer interpret your wearing that look as being yourself, but as you being another shallow fashionista. That sounds like a slap in the face to me.
                      An artist is not paid for his labor, but for his vision. - James Whistler

Originally posted by BBSCCP
                      I order 1 in every size, please, for every occasion

Comment

• kunk75
                        Banned
                        • May 2008

I have been wearing the same stuff since high school, but in high school the outfit cost $30, college $300 and now $3000 for essentially the same black tee, leather, jeans and boots.

Comment

• christianef
                          • Feb 2009

Originally posted by SombreResplendence View Post
                          It comes across as an insult because the clothes that have become a part of your personal identity have become watered down. Onlookers, realizing that you signature "look" has spread to every fashionista around, will no longer interpret your wearing that look as being yourself, but as you being another shallow fashionista. That sounds like a slap in the face to me.

if you put any stock into what onlookers think arent you just another shallow fashionista? i understand the point too - same as how guys dont generally like a girl who's slept around because it makes them insecure and feel like just another guy, but i agree somewhat with mike - if the design becomes watered down down then its watered down. if trends and pop culture are irrelevant what other people are wearing cant water down good design just maybe confuse people who dont know what they're talking about either way.

Comment

• mass
                            • Sep 2006

personal identity should stay personal.

Comment

• Sombre
                              • Jan 2009

Originally posted by christianef View Post
                              if you put any stock into what onlookers think arent you just another shallow fashionista?
                              No. You're a shallow fashionista if you jump on the bandwagon when something is hot and off of it when it's not. Caring what others think generally just makes a person normal. In any case, caring what others think wasn't really the intended fixation of my post.

i understand the point too - same as how guys dont generally like a girl who's slept around because it makes them insecure and feel like just another guy
                              It's also not like being with a promiscuous girl. That is a separate psychological issue.

i agree somewhat with mike - if the design becomes watered down down then its watered down. if trends and pop culture are irrelevant what other people are wearing cant water down good design just maybe confuse people who dont know what they're talking about either way.
                              Even if you don't care what others think, having everyone around you call you shallow when it couldn't be further from the truth can be annoying and insulting. That is what I meant.
                              An artist is not paid for his labor, but for his vision. - James Whistler

Originally posted by BBSCCP
                              I order 1 in every size, please, for every occasion

Comment

• christianef
                                • Feb 2009

looking like everyone else is generally what makes people normal.

its basically the exact same. you want to delude yourself into thinking you've achieved something sacred but guess what everyone is wearing it too now, so so much for unchartered waters. you're really in love with her and everyone else is just using her, right. you should do some more drugs and realize all those emotions you revolve your life around arent real. or atleast slap yourself in face and realize no one really cares. its the exact same.

i know i find it annoying too.

anyways, this discussion is boring.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎