Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sombre
    • Jan 2009

What are you basing those statements on? There are many different psychological issues someone could go through in each of those scenarios. I don't think either reaction you imagined is the most common. It may be the same to you, but they can, in fact, be very different.
    An artist is not paid for his labor, but for his vision. - James Whistler

Originally posted by BBSCCP
    I order 1 in every size, please, for every occasion

Comment

• beardown
      rekoner
      • Feb 2009

Originally posted by christianef View Post
      same as how guys dont generally like a girl who's slept around because it makes them insecure and feel like just another guy.
      I personally love promiscuous women because it increases my chance of getting my bang on.
      Originally posted by mizzar
      Sorry for being kind of a dick to you.

Comment

• christianef
        • Feb 2009

lol sz is getting run like a train.

Comment

• beardown
          rekoner
          • Feb 2009

Somebody had to run it off the rails.
          You're all welcome.
          Originally posted by mizzar
          Sorry for being kind of a dick to you.

Comment

• BBSCCP
            • Feb 2010

I agree to this. Maybe we can also argue that "avantgarde" represents a pushing of the boundaries of what is accepted as the norm or the status quo. But as soon as the mass is wearing avantgarde, it´s no longer out of the norm but IT IS the norm, so the term looses it´s sense. If everybody dresses in post-apocalyptic e.g. Julius, BBS more or less, designer´s might change too, to become avantgarde again... Of course this is just a scenario which might never happen since quality has it´s production costs resulting in higher prices that can´t be afforded by the mass...

Originally posted by SombreResplendence View Post
            It comes across as an insult because the clothes that have become a part of your personal identity have become watered down. Onlookers, realizing that you signature "look" has spread to every fashionista around, will no longer interpret your wearing that look as being yourself, but as you being another shallow fashionista. That sounds like a slap in the face to me.

Comment

• Mail-Moth
              • Mar 2009

Originally posted by christianef View Post
              looking like everyone else is generally what makes people normal.

its basically the exact same. you want to delude yourself into thinking you've achieved something sacred but guess what everyone is wearing it too now, so so much for unchartered waters. you're really in love with her and everyone else is just using her, right. you should do some more drugs and realize all those emotions you revolve your life around arent real. or atleast slap yourself in face and realize no one really cares. its the exact same.

i know i find it annoying too.

anyways, this discussion is boring.
              Word.
              And the rest of it also.
              I can see a hat, I can see a cat,
              I can see a man with a baseball bat.

Comment

People in here generally aims to have a philosophy to fashion as something of substance and longevity. We also want to slow fashion down, and make it adapt to the consumer a bit more. I find it really superficial to tie these values to attributes of the clothes, that anything monochrome and the occasional slouch would make it "SZ".

It's to me, a deeper understanding about the industry and conceptual thinking, that alot of people share in here. It doesn't matter if one wears bernhard willhelm, makes their own or wear paul harnden. It's still about following a red line that makes sense to you, and not to the trend analytics, while paying respect to worlds natural resources.

On that end of things, I must say some people in here don't need to shop as much as they do, for they buy the same things over and over. If they truly were into intimacy with what you choose to have in your life, you'd keep things longer, preferably til they break.

Comment

• andrew
                  • Sep 2009

I agree with alot of people here that it is always annoying when something that seemed personal becomes mainstream. We are however talking about commercial goods so if more money is coming to the designers then surely that is a good thing, especially for the smaller brands like BBS etc. Also if these designers didn't want their clothes accessed by the masses then maybe they shouldn't stock place like Luisa Via Roma, they are bound to be happy to be selling more garments. I'm sure they would much rather be selling to customers who connect with them and their work intellectually and personally but they aren't going to cut everyone else off in the mean time.

Also cant people follow trends yet still have intellectual connections, i know plenty of people who stick to a given seasons trends but they buy pieces that they will want forever (or as long as they last) as well as throw away pieces for the season. Every season i look at the shows and think to myself, i would like this look or that style or i like this idea, does that make me a fashionista, because i am open to a varying look as my own personal taste dictates?

Comment

• Faust
                    kitsch killer
                    • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Heirloom View Post
                    People in here generally aims to have a philosophy to fashion as something of substance and longevity. We also want to slow fashion down, and make it adapt to the consumer a bit more. I find it really superficial to tie these values to attributes of the clothes, that anything monochrome and the occasional slouch would make it "SZ".

It's to me, a deeper understanding about the industry and conceptual thinking, that alot of people share in here. It doesn't matter if one wears bernhard willhelm, makes their own or wear paul harnden. It's still about following a red line that makes sense to you, and not to the trend analytics, while paying respect to worlds natural resources.

On that end of things, I must say some people in here don't need to shop as much as they do, for they buy the same things over and over. If they truly were into intimacy with what you choose to have in your life, you'd keep things longer, preferably til they break.
                    In Rick's case, it's not a problem, apparently. Boom!!! Boom!!!
                    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• casem
                      • Sep 2006

I guess what I was trying to prod out of this conversation is: how do we come to decide what our style is without looking at social cues (what's tired, what's cutting edge, what screams money, what screams artsy etc.)? It seems to me, whether we want to think we are affected by trends or not, we are well aware of the implications of what we wear at a given time.

Also, I don't buy the idea that one's style can exist in a vacuum unaffected by the outside. The problem is, the meaning attributed to clothes and style is not innate in the objects (unless you believe in Fibonacci or some other "universal beauty" mumbo jumbo). If I have a style that initially feels personal and unique that becomes usurped by the masses, that style does change its meaning, even if I didn't want it to. So I have two choices, hold fast to my style and be generic or evolve to remain outside the mainstream (if that's my goal). Not to mention, the eye does change as you become saturated with a certain look, so I think it's natural to evolve over time as what was once fresh and edgy becomes mundane. This constant turning over is what keeps the arts constantly moving forward (though maybe overly accelerated in fashion).

I think we can all agree that short lived superficial trends declared from the likes of glossy fashion magazines are empty and foolish (this season: buy this bag, wear this color, pants are soooo in etc.). But I think there's another, more subtle way of looking at trends as evolving aesthetic currents that compel us to grow and seek out new modes of expression. This is what I would like to have a conversation about, without the knee jerk romanticized,"this is who I am, these clothes represent me, because my self is a constant and eternal force!". I think what's really valued here, rather than no change, is organic change that follows a logical pattern of growth as opposed to what is demeaned as dressing up in costumes or "finding oneself".
                      Last edited by casem; 07-24-2010, 05:27 PM.
                      music

Comment

• fenrost
                        Banned
                        • Mar 2009

[ IMG ] ppl wearing black [ / IMG ]

Last edited by fenrost; 07-24-2010, 11:47 PM.

Comment

• Faust
                          kitsch killer
                          • Sep 2006

/\ codified environment, doesn't count.
                          Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• fenrost
                            Banned
                            • Mar 2009

≠ self

welcome to fashion.

Comment

• mesko
                              • Nov 2009

I think that the mere discussion arising around this subject implicates that members of SZ are not a "horde", as I have never - ever - seen zombies arguing in the movies.

Heirloom's and casem83's latest posts have a good point, and I agree with them.

Besides, I understand both points of view in the insult discussion, but I think y'all need to realise it is merely a question of attitude and taking it as an insult may be overreacting, in my opinion.

Comment

• fenrost
                                Banned
                                • Mar 2009

dont get me wrong, i love black, almost half of my wardrobe is black

i posted the pic not as an insult, and i don't see any insults. it's a mere sight deem as a possibility that breeds the "sheep" mentality?

just ponder.
                                Last edited by fenrost; 07-24-2010, 08:14 PM. Reason: 358u30tg

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎