• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Venus in Furs
    Banned
    • Aug 2009

Originally posted by ddohnggo View Post
    I'm surprised that yours is fw weight and the leather is not stiff. I own the same jacket that I bought in that season and it was stiff as fuck. My ss07 overlock is very soft calf leather. Is yours cotton lined or mesh lined? I'm pretty sure juicy just means calf leather. All of my jackets say juicy on it as part of the item code.
    It's cotton lined. Don't get me wrong, this one isn't super soft, but it's definitely not the stiffest leather I've had.

Originally posted by philip nod View Post
    the genius of the ccp edition system. you pay top dollar to get a limited numbered item. thinking that you're one of only 35 or so to get this work of art. however, this home run record comes with an asterisk. you can special order it and rewrite history, no alterations or anything, and yours is numbered insanely low making it appear to the uneducated that the model made two years later in fact is more rare and valuable. amazing!
    Obviously I knew this jacket isn't 1 of 3 in the world. I assumed it's from a small run of orders Carol filled just recently, so I was just wondering who the other shops were to pick up the fencing.

Comment

• philip nod
      • Aug 2007

no disrespect to you or your great purchase. I was simply lamenting the fact that ccp has created a system that even the art world, in all it's unregulated glory, would not attempt to get away with
      One wonders where it will end, when everything has become gay.

Comment

• Venus in Furs
        Banned
        • Aug 2009

^ No disrespect taken. I know exactly what you mean. I've heard of quite a few instances where people have gotten Carol garments that are supposed to be 1 of 1, only to find out there's others floating around. I think the fibreglass coat is one example. I remember when there was only around 26 or so of the single zip fencings. I can't even begin to imagine how many there are now.

Comment

• interest1
          • Nov 2008

Originally Posted by interest1
          In fashion, a boring identity is the same as no identity at all

Originally posted by Faust View Post
          Yes, it become a different industry, called "luxury goods."
          Not so fast, Faust. Yes, the term 'luxury goods' has become synonymous with fashion houses that churn out mass quantities of meaningless shit for those who privilege status and conformity over individualism–leaving those of us who haven't drank the kool-aid to be repelled by such things rather than influenced by them.

But if you and I and the rest of SZ aren't buying luxury goods, then no one is. Ann Demeulemeester sells luxury goods. Carol Christian Poell sells luxury goods. Etc, etc. They are what true luxury is all about, as we know. Without getting into the obvious distinctions between camps, I just wanted to comment on how amusing it is that we divorce ourselves from one luxury goods association while simultaneously being prisoners to one of our own definition.
          sain't

Comment

• misterpale
            • Apr 2008

so true!!!

Originally posted by interest1 View Post

Not so fast, Faust. Yes, the term 'luxury goods' has become synonymous with fashion houses that churn out mass quantities of meaningless shit for those who privilege status and conformity over individualism–leaving those of us who haven't drank the kool-aid to be repelled by such things rather than influenced by them.

But if you and I and the rest of SZ aren't buying luxury goods, then no one is. Ann Demeulemeester sells luxury goods. Carol Christian Poell sells luxury goods. Etc, etc. They are what true luxury is all about, as we know. Without getting into the obvious distinctions between camps, I just wanted to comment on how amusing it is that we divorce ourselves from one luxury goods association while simultaneously being prisoners to one of our own definition.

Comment

• Seventh
              • Dec 2006

Wait... Fuck... So can I identify with the proletariat or not?

Originally posted by interest1

Comment

• Faust
                kitsch killer
                • Sep 2006

Yes, I know they are luxury, but luxury is a part of what they do, creativity is another part. In a word, fashion includes luxury goods.

Luxury* + Creativity = Fashion. Something like that. I don't think Ann (and others) is true luxury just because her production scale is smaller, unless you think of luxury exclusively in terms of scarcity and not in terms of quality.

*I would prefer "Quality," but will use "Luxury" for the sake of the theme.
                Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
                  kitsch killer
                  • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Seventh View Post
                  Wait... Fuck... So can I identify with the proletariat or not?
                  No. You are far too intelligent. You may keep your proletariat background though.
                  Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• theetruscan
                    • Jan 2008

Faust, you just totally lost me.

Are you saying Ann isn't a maker of luxury goods because the quality is too poor? Because then the Prada Sport etc "luxury goods" would definitely not be luxury.

Or are you saying Ann isn't luxury because the quality is too good?

Either way I'm confused.
                    Hobo: We all dress up. We all put on our armour before we walk out the door, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that we’re trying to be someone else.

Comment

• Faust
                      kitsch killer
                      • Sep 2006

I am saying Ann makes Fashion. Fashion = Luxury + Creativity. So, yes, what Ann does includes the making of luxury goods.

I don't know why I find the term "luxury" distasteful. I'd rather use "quality." Must be my humble proletariat background.

Theetruscan, I removed the comma that might have thrown your entire understanding off. :-)

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• lowrey
                        ventiundici
                        • Dec 2006

the word luxury is just typically used when referring to sort of expensive, mainstream, high profile designers. Major fashion houses for example, which in my book differ notably from the likes of Ann Demeulemeester or other niche designers, as they cater to a much smaller market and there is much less of a fab-factor. Luxury sounds like something that is bought for the sake of being "luxury", ie expensive, notable, recognizable... thats why I don't feel very comfortable using the word with the labels discussed here, even though literally the term would probably apply and make sense.
                        "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• interest1
                          • Nov 2008

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                          Yes, it become a different industry, called "luxury goods."
                          Originally posted by lowrey View Post
                          the word luxury is just typically used when referring to sort of expensive, mainstream, high profile designers. Major fashion houses for example, which in my book differ notably from the likes of Ann Demeulemeester or other niche designers, as they cater to a much smaller market and there is much less of a fab-factor. Luxury sounds like something that is bought for the sake of being "luxury", ie expensive, notable, recognizable... thats why I don't feel very comfortable using the word with the labels discussed here, even though literally the term would probably apply and make sense.
                          Luxury is indulgence. Whether it's Ann or Prada, luxury is in the eye of the beholder. I may be aware that a Prada scarf defines luxury for some people. But if an item holds no emotional pull over me, there is no real indulgence going on, therefore there is no luxury behind it.
                          sain't

Comment

• Servo2000
                            • Oct 2006

I certainly hope that if I'm spending that mainstream money on a rick owens jacket that it's going to be luxurious.
                            WTB: Rick Owens Padded MA-1 Bomber XS (LIMO / MOUNTAIN)

Comment

• Faust
                              kitsch killer
                              • Sep 2006

Luxury is indulgence. Whether it's Ann or Prada, luxury is in the eye of the beholder. I may be aware that a Prada scarf defines luxury for some people. But if an item holds no emotional pull over me, there is no real indulgence going on, therefore there is no luxury behind it.
                              I indulge in milk and cookies

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
                                kitsch killer
                                • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Servo2000 View Post
                                I certainly hope that if I'm spending that mainstream money on a rick owens jacket that it's going to be luxurious.
                                hahaha, nice.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎