StyleZeitgeist

Go Back   StyleZeitgeist > Forums > Culture

Culture Discuss cultural events, literature, art, music, etc.

Old 03-08-2012, 10:00 AM   #681
mrbeuys

Quote:
Originally Posted by endorphinz View Post
anybody preorder the NEW iPad?
I did. Lost my iPad2 on a plane a while ago and while I didn't miss it much, I am looking forward to having it as are my kids. We will now have 3 iPads in the family.
But you should get an Air, I echo Faust's sentiment about it being the best tech purchase I have made. I owned the first gen Air and it was light but slow. The new one is perfect, and I use it for pretty demanding graphics as well.
Old 03-08-2012, 10:05 AM   #682
endorphinz

yeah,graphicsare very impressive but if you don't game does it really matter? I believe just the gpu is quad while the cpu remains duo... it's only 1 chip tho. anyway, the thing doesn't even allow you to do anything that would require more processing power. I wasn't considering getting the data plan model but when they announced 4g as really the major update (along with the graphics) I thought it would be silly to buy the thing without it. in the end, the fact that they considered 4g to be the reason to buy it, I decided not to.

I'm kinda disappointed cuz I really haven't bought any tech in a while and wanted sumthin new to play with but i just couldn't justify buying.

there is nothing passive about my aggression
endorphinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 10:13 AM   #683
endorphinz

also, I really don't like the intended increased use of cloud services. I realize in theory they are great but I tend to be very paranoid where data is concerned. probably unfounded but.....

there is nothing passive about my aggression
endorphinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 07:14 PM   #684
Patroklus
Banned

I've taken apart a lot of towers but yesterday was the first time I've taken apart a laptop. Replacing the system fan required removing nearly every single component from the case, with the only exceptions being the display, speaker attachment, and USB board. Laptop architecture is a fucking mess.
Patroklus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 01:25 AM   #685
sinnedk
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patroklus View Post
I've taken apart a lot of towers but yesterday was the first time I've taken apart a laptop. Replacing the system fan required removing nearly every single component from the case, with the only exceptions being the display, speaker attachment, and USB board. Laptop architecture is a fucking mess.
its all really compact, I think its amazing how small things are now
sinnedk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 05:48 PM   #686
darkbydesign

Yeah, the IPad rocks and it's not stupid to call it and IPad. Just like every other product on Earth, it was stupid to call it by generation to begin with. (i.e.-when you buy a new computer it's not called the Powerbook 17. It's just called the new Powerbook, etc.)

I think the new version has much more accelerated graphics and am enjoying that. Like stated above, it's just a toy. I only use my IPad when traveling and that's because it has the best battery life of any of the Apple products. I flew 10 hours and watched video, did email and reading 80% of the time and only took it down to 40% with the dimmer on. If you want something with a legit OS that can do computing, just dump the extra couple hundred over the IPad 4G and get the MacBook Air. A MacBook Air is completely worth the couple hundred extra and is extremely light weight and zippy.

Re:4G. Personally, in San Francisco, I live on Market street in the most populated area and still didn't have good cell phone coverage on AT&T after all the updates on the IPhone, but after 4G iOS 5 was released, I can finally make phone calls from home! Yay! I don't think the Verizon version dropped so many calls to begin with, but I can say that if you've been experiencing drop calls every 10 minutes on your iOS that the new update really kicks ass....
darkbydesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 05:58 PM   #687
lowrey
ventiundici

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkbydesign View Post
it was stupid to call it by generation to begin with.
some say stupid, some say genius

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG
lowrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 06:05 PM   #688
sinnedk
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkbydesign View Post
Yeah, the IPad rocks and it's not stupid to call it and IPad. Just like every other product on Earth, it was stupid to call it by generation to begin with. (i.e.-when you buy a new computer it's not called the Powerbook 17. It's just called the new Powerbook, etc.)

I think the new version has much more accelerated graphics and am enjoying that. Like stated above, it's just a toy. I only use my IPad when traveling and that's because it has the best battery life of any of the Apple products. I flew 10 hours and watched video, did email and reading 80% of the time and only took it down to 40% with the dimmer on. If you want something with a legit OS that can do computing, just dump the extra couple hundred over the IPad 4G and get the MacBook Air. A MacBook Air is completely worth the couple hundred extra and is extremely light weight and zippy.

Re:4G. Personally, in San Francisco, I live on Market street in the most populated area and still didn't have good cell phone coverage on AT&T after all the updates on the IPhone, but after 4G iOS 5 was released, I can finally make phone calls from home! Yay! I don't think the Verizon version dropped so many calls to begin with, but I can say that if you've been experiencing drop calls every 10 minutes on your iOS that the new update really kicks ass....
agree on all points, btw im in sf too and havent had much problems with my iphone, had most iterations since 07
sinnedk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 09:45 AM   #689
Sverrenor

Anyone who knows what to do with a Mac that's fell almost 2 meters and landed on wooden floor?

It caused some scratches and I'm sensitive about it, even though I've had it for three years now. Any miracle pen that fills up the scrapes? Like that insanely annoying TV Shop-commercial:

[IMG][/IMG]
Sverrenor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 11:04 AM   #690
Dane
HAMMERTIME

^ maybe get a hardshell case for it? Haven't come across any miracle pens in my journeys.
Old 03-26-2012, 02:08 PM   #691
Sverrenor

Damn, better preventing than repairing, I guess. Should almost get that rubber-ish case then.

I placed my Macbook on top of a huge-ass Marshall speaker in our rehearsal room, which was hooked up to my buddy playing his bass. Not recommendable.
Old 03-26-2012, 07:43 PM   #692
theetruscan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sverrenor View Post
Anyone who knows what to do with a Mac that's fell almost 2 meters and landed on wooden floor?
Be thrilled it works!
Old 03-27-2012, 10:59 AM   #693
Sverrenor

Quote:
Originally Posted by theetruscan View Post
Be thrilled it works!
Haha, true that! Apple is unquestionably great craftsmanship.
Old 03-27-2012, 01:27 PM   #694
Faust
kitsch killer

Well, now I got a bunch of Best Buy gift cards but no iPads in sight! :-)

StyleZeitgeist Magazine
Faust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 10:37 PM   #695
Chinorlz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sverrenor View Post
Haha, true that! Apple is unquestionably great craftsmanship.
Unfortunately the glass has a tendency to shatter if the phone hits the ground just-so. Thankfully replacement front screens and back screens can be had online for $40 and $10 respectively. Still very much painful to have to go through :(

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "
Chinorlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 07:36 AM   #696
Faust
kitsch killer

Bit the bullet on the new iPad and no regrets. Really awesome toy AND tool. Regular users - what do you recommend for a case and a stylus

StyleZeitgeist Magazine
Old 04-11-2012, 02:08 PM   #697
savant

I'd consider a case from makr http://makr.com/?tag_product_type=20
savant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 02:25 PM   #698
shuit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faust View Post
Bit the bullet on the new iPad and no regrets. Really awesome toy AND tool. Regular users - what do you recommend for a case and a stylus
I don't use stylus but if you are talking about case, hard graft do actually made some nice one. it has the smell of MA+ in it. Very practical too.

http://www.hardgraft.com/products/tiltipadcase-allgrey

Last edited by shuit; 04-11-2012 at 02:29 PM. Reason: image resize
shuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 11:12 AM   #699
Faust
kitsch killer

Can I use my iPad charge plug with iPhone and vice versa?

StyleZeitgeist Magazine
Old 04-13-2012, 12:10 PM   #700
lowrey
ventiundici

pretty sure you can charge anything from iPhone to iToothbrush with the same thing!

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG
lowrey is offline   Reply With Quote