Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • unwashed
    • Dec 2008

The samsonite lite cubes were also pretty nice from handling them at the store and compared to Rimowa are featherlight. But if I wanted a big suitcase not for the handluggage compartment I would save up for a Rimowa. Just to safeguard my camera equipment.
    Grailed link

Comment

• lowrey
      ventiundici
      • Dec 2006

Originally posted by unwashed View Post
      The samsonite lite cubes were also pretty nice from handling them at the store and compared to Rimowa are featherlight.
      The Rimowa Salsa Air is around the same weight as the Cube Lites in the medium sized ones, in larger ones the Rimowas seem to be heavier. But I don't know who uses the 100L+ ones, I think mine is 70-80L and tightly packed it becomes as heavy as you want a suitcase to be. The Samsonite Lite-Box is lighter and better looking imo, but not as nice looking as Rimowa.

We have a few Rimowas (polycarbonate, not aluminium), first one is from I think about 12 years ago works perfectly and doesn't have a single major dent, barely a couple of scuffs. The matte black particularly is very durable as it doesn't really show scuffs (unlike the shiny colored ones).

the only down side is that they are hardly ever the only black Rimowas on the conveyor belt, ever since I caught a guy accidentally leaving with my bag I've put a bunch of stickers and recognizable straps on them :P
      "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• unwashed
        • Dec 2008

Originally posted by lowrey View Post
        The Rimowa Salsa Air is around the same weight as the Cube Lites in the medium sized ones
        Ow that Salsa Air, I didn't know it existed, gonna check this one out.
        Grailed link

Comment

• Piffen
          • Aug 2007

I use Rimowa personally, which is great, but as unwashed wrote, the Samsonite Lite cube seems to be a great alternative if you want [a little] cheaper.

Comment

• jurassicsnark
            • Sep 2015

Depends on the trip. For weekendtrips I use a small handluggage compartment suitcase and a my Cote&Ciel bag/Rick Tote. I wanted a matte black Rimowa for my camera equipment, but due to it being quite heavy I opted for a lightweight cheap alternative.
            For longer vacations I have a Northface basecamp medium dufflebag or an old big backpack which haven't failed me in the last 18 years.
            Wow, Unwashed, we have similar taste.
            I travel a lot (100k+ miles the last 5 years — almost always in a carry-on). I have a Cote&Ciel Nile backpack that I love. I still have it, but I had an issue with having to pack a handbag for once I arrived — I'm female, and most of the time, I prefer to carry a cross-body bag over a backpack for day-to-day. I picked up a BBS bag in Berlin and had modified so that it serves perfectly as both hand luggage on the plane and a handbag once I land. I just stash whatever was in there that I don't want to carry everywhere into one of the large Rick totes that come with everything.

For luggage, I agree that the North Face Base Camp duffels are hard to beat. We have at least one of them in every size they make. My partner is a scientist, and he used to do these gnarly trips into the Amazon, and he took almost everything in Base Camp Duffels. They're tough, incredibly lightweight, and they do truly look better once they get a bit trashed... But they provide no protection, etc., so he always took all of the cameras in a Pelican.

In terms of carry-on size suitcase, I've been using a North Face Rolling Thunder for about 4 years now. It's starting to show some wear, and I'll likely replace it with a Rimowa when it dies, but not before.

Comment

• lowrey
              ventiundici
              • Dec 2006

Ow that Salsa Air, I didn't know it existed, gonna check this one out.
              downside is that they don't seem to come in the matte black, at least currently. I thought my black ones are Salsa Air but they might also be some preceding model
              "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• monster
                • Aug 2009

What's the best online retailer for DRKSHDW/Rick right now? I usually prefer to buy in physical stores but looks like everything I wanted to buy is sold out here where I live now. Thanks in advance!

Comment

• mamooon
                  • Jun 2015

Originally posted by monster View Post
                  What's the best online retailer for DRKSHDW/Rick right now? I usually prefer to buy in physical stores but looks like everything I wanted to buy is sold out here where I live now. Thanks in advance!
                  Please define 'best' ;) - It probably depends
                  a) where you live, i.e. if you're from the US and order in europe (or vice versa) you might have to deal with taxes/VAT/customs
                  b) what you do expect, like good prices, express delivery, availibility of any discount codes and/or current sales-season to make a bargain..?
                  Over here in europe probably all 'major' luxury fashion online stores carry R'Owens and/or DRKSHDW, like mrporter, matchesfashion, hervia, browns fashion, antonioli.eu, spence (there you find often things of a previous season for a good price!), harrods, selfridges (i cannot recommend, horrible customer service and a shop which is buggy as ****), wrongweather and for sure, the official r'owens-online-store out of their store in Milano.
                  As it feels like you're looking for an item, maybe use the 'looking for..'-thread and ask for that or these items you're looking for so maybe someone's stumbling upon the item you're looking for? good luck
                  ;)

Comment

• Faust
                    kitsch killer
                    • Sep 2006

The samsonite lite cubes were also pretty nice from handling them at the store and compared to Rimowa are featherlight. But if I wanted a big suitcase not for the handluggage compartment I would save up for a Rimowa. Just to safeguard my camera equipment.
                    You check your camera equipment in? Or did you actually mean the reverse of what you wrote?
                    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• unwashed
                      • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                      You check your camera equipment in? Or did you actually mean the reverse of what you wrote?
                      If I would to buy a suitcase, I would choose something like a Rimowa for long flights and holidays, mainly to check in my camera equipment for sure. No need to carry 6 kilo on camerastuff during flights. I also carry small Sony RX-100 for snapshots. But atm I have a big backpack and a dufflebag, I certainly not check it in with those bags :) Here the Cote&Ciel comes in handy.
                      Grailed link

Comment

• HugAndWug
                        • Aug 2014

wanted to check in and ask if anyone has ever seen/knows anything about the sole on these carpes i purchased.

http://imgur.com/a/f6QVt

Comment

• derpington
                          • Oct 2009

It looks like it had a thin rubber sole glued to it that was later peeled off, leaving the adhesive.

Comment

• HugAndWug
                            • Aug 2014

Originally posted by derpington View Post
                            It looks like it had a thin rubber sole glued to it that was later peeled off, leaving the adhesive.
                            only issue is that it's partially on the side + it's decently thick.

Comment

• unwashed
                              • Dec 2008

Originally posted by HugAndWug View Post
                              only issue is that it's partially on the side + it's decently thick.
                              Looks more like a shoe goo project gone wrong
                              Grailed link

Comment

• HugAndWug
                                • Aug 2014

Looks more like a shoe goo project gone wrong
                                that'd be truly impressive as it's been worn a bit and there's zero chipping/cracking. i can't imagine it holding up so well.

i know carpe has done shoes with rubber/glue treatments but i've never seen anything on the soles.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎