Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Atelier Article and Interview with K.S. in Haaretz (Israel)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

Re: Atelier Article and Interview with K.S. in Haaretz (Israel)

[quote user="xadam"][quote user="Faust"]

no sir. avant-garde = moving forward, not backwards. justine said that right up top.

[/quote]

forward, backward, up, down, i'm just no going to get you to give me the thumbs up on that suit, am i?

actually, i agree with you that a classic look by definition isn't avant garde, but tb's last two shows (love them or hate them), if not his collections, are.

[/quote]

yes, the shows are quite different from the clothes.

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• laika
      • Sep 2006

[quote user="xadam"][quote user="Faust"]

no sir. avant-garde = moving forward, not backwards. justine said that right up top.

[/quote]

forward, backward, up, down, i'm just no going to get you to give me the thumbs up on that suit, am i?

actually, i agree with you that a classic look by definition isn't avant garde, but tb's last two shows (love them or hate them), if not his collections, are.

[/quote]

avant-garde is a myth. the question is just what comes next in the cycle. according to Karlo, it sounds like the suit will be next, or at the very least, more structured/tailored menswear. buy a suit. [75]

...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.

Comment

• Faust
        kitsch killer
        • Sep 2006

not a suit in a conventional way, which i am afraid tbs suits are, no matter how much he shortens the hem.
        Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• laika
          • Sep 2006

Well, what would you say defines an unconventional suit, Faust? [75]
          ...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.

Comment

• Faust
            kitsch killer
            • Sep 2006

[quote user="laika"]Well, what would you say defines an unconventional suit, Faust? [75]
            [/quote]

And this is all before Steel even says anything about the coat, the
            streamlined cut with narrow shoulders and high armholes, the exquisite
            gray wool, the seams sealed with heat- and water-resistant tape, and
            the lack of lining that proudly exposes the coat's construction
            . Maybe
            this is one of the reasons why the store does so well.

[Y]

Edit: the visuals

reversible blazer

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• laika
              • Sep 2006

[86]

Nice try. That's a description of an unconventional suit, but what exactly makes it unconventional? Is it the "exquisite gray wool?" The streamlined cut? Narrow shoulders? What does it all boil down to, and how would I recognize other suits (i.e., not Carol's) as being unconventional?

Comment

• Faust
                kitsch killer
                • Sep 2006

hmm, not sure how else to describe it, laika. all those details are a part of something whole, and that whole is very different from a conventional suit, and it does feel very modern to me. it's very different from TBs shrinking of a conventional suit. the context is different too - i don't see carol being fascinated with a time period or a particular milieu, whereas TBs 50's Americana is more than obvious.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Casius
                  • Dec 2006

Poell's approach definitely seems to be unconventional but in a subtle way. Taped inside seams, reversible blazer (and matching pant) for 2 suits in 1, jointed elbows and knees, etc. It doesn't seem as 'in your face' as TB's infamous short hemmed suits, which I would agree with Faust and say there is really nothing, other than the hem, differentiating it from what is a conventional suit.
                  "because the young are whores. dealers come to carol to get the rock"

Comment

• philip nod
                    • Aug 2007

hahaha cas, trying wear one in public and getting yelled at "pee wee" by homeless as you leave your door. srsly though,the jackets are a completely different snug cut than convential suits.
                    One wonders where it will end, when everything has become gay.

Comment

• Fuuma
                      • Sep 2006

*Throws rock in pond*

I think Carol's pagoda shoulders and trumpet sleeves look absolutely ridiculous on his suits. They make wearers look like eurotrash who shopped in the women's section.

*Runs away*

Some of his softer shouldered coats looks pretty good though, like the one dFDggnhngfgo has.

Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
                      http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Comment

• laika
                        • Sep 2006

[quote user="Faust"]hmm, not sure how else to describe it, laika. all those details are a part of something whole, and that whole is very different from a conventional suit, and it does feel very modern to me. it's very different from TBs shrinking of a conventional suit. the context is different too - i don't see carol being fascinated with a time period or a particular milieu, whereas TBs 50's Americana is more than obvious.
                        [/quote]

No, I see what you are saying. I was just teasing you for circumventing my query so cleverly. [66]

I'm
                        not entirely sure how to answer my own question, but it's something
                        i've been thinking about for my work. It seems like CCP is working
                        from the inside to change the suit, by using unusual construction
                        techniques, among other things. Also, he is very interested in
                        fit--the narrow and high armholes that Karlo mentioned, and also the
                        jointed pieces that he is working on. Whereas Thom Browne, also
                        interested in fit, is changing the way a suit is worn by altering
                        proportions--shrinking the size, raising the rise of the trousers,
                        etc. I definitely think that when it comes to suits, convention has a
                        lot to do with how the garments fit the body, and in that sense, Thom
                        Browne is unconventional. Maybe it's more about style than about
                        construction, but it's still significant, even if not exactly
                        innovative.

CCP is more subtle for sure, but subtlety is ultimately an aesthetic preference. It is possible to be unconventional in a non-subtle way.

Comment

• Faust
                          kitsch killer
                          • Sep 2006

/\ [86] edit: that was at Fuuma's post.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• laika
                            • Sep 2006

[quote user="philip nod"]hahaha cas, trying wear one in public and getting yelled at "pee wee" by homeless as you leave your door. srsly though,the jackets are a completely different snug cut than convential suits.
                            [/quote]

lol. That's what i'm sayin'...

Comment

• Casius
                              • Dec 2006

But that is if you happen to wear the TB suit as TB intended it. CCP, you have no choice! [75]
                              "because the young are whores. dealers come to carol to get the rock"

Comment

• Fuuma
                                • Sep 2006

[quote user="Faust"]/\ [86] edit: that was at Fuuma's post.
                                [/quote]

I truly respect his approach to the whole process of making and finishing them, but god someone should help him with styling! Try to imagine someone wearing the whole look with pointy boots and white shirt with those sleeves and walking down the street, outside of a connoisseur context what you get is some Serbian nightclub owner who decided to tone down the stripped shirts.

Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
                                http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎