Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • darkbydesign
    • Sep 2010

I also find the UC Davis case more interesting (than some) because these are students (who pay to go to the university) and faculty (who work FOR the university).

Further, the protesters clearly aren't violent or physical. People can be as analytical as they want, but there's no violence shown on their part.

Philosophically speaking, wouldn't you think by now that cops (or other authorities) would learn to expect that saying "you have 3 more minutes to clear out" would result in absolutely nothing. It'd be a pretty worthless protest if everyone just turned around and walked away at 2:59. So, if I were a cop, I'd be 100% sure that if I said "I'm going to kill you in 3 minutes" that it would mean you'd be dead because common sense tells me that you aren't going to leave since, well........It's a protest. The disappointing observation about watching cops do this at non-violent protests is it becomes apparent that their arrival causes the protesters to be violent when in fact there would be no violence at all if the cops didn't show up. Often the authorities spawn the violence, which is why I'm just not a fan of them showing up unless a violent incident has occurred.

Away from my rant and back to details. What I didn't understand in the video that Lane posted is that the cops clearly state that they are just going to make some arrests. That's cool and I think most people would be OK with making arrests with some twist ties, detaining people, dishing out non-felony citations and moving on. It's not the end of the world for either side. It's not necessary, yet also not violent either. So, why did they start pepper-spraying people instead of doing what they said. They could have just walked up and cuffed people one by one and that'd be just fine. Pretty big waste of tax payers and university $$$$, but at least it would have been what was clearly stated.

You can watch jacked up shows like COPS and half the time they are gentler with some cracked out thug on the street who is legitimately a threat, carrying a weapon, out of their mind and/or resisting arrest than they were with those seemingly non-violent protesters, who (most likely) pay to be on that campus.

I still claim +1 for very well behaved protesters in that incident.

Comment

• casem
      • Sep 2006

OMG, croatoan I'm dying.
      music

Comment

• trentk
        • Oct 2010

Is "sz style" (whatever that is) turning into the next hipster? (not suggesting that anyone here is a hipster, I'm just starting to notice previous hipsters in NYC wearing szish stuff. Or, rather, all-saints and other derivatives of szish stuff.)
        Last edited by trentk; 12-15-2011, 07:09 AM.
        "He described this initial impetus as like discovering that they both were looking at the same intriguing specific tropical fish, with attempts to understand it leading to a huge ferocious formalism he characterizes as a shark that leapt out of the tank."

Comment

• Faust
          kitsch killer
          • Sep 2006

No, hipsters could never pull off anything hardcore. It goes against the hipster ethos. But they can don the watered down stuff, a-la All Saints and what the likes of Assembly and Odin peddle. Hipsterism IS about watering down, in a way.
          Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• volta
            • May 2009

Originally posted by trentk View Post
            Is "sz style" (whatever that is) turning into the next hipster? (not suggesting that anyone here is a hipster, I'm just starting to notice previous hipsters in NYC wearing szish stuff. Or, rather, all-saints and other derivatives of szish stuff.)
            unfortunately.. yes.

Originally posted by Faust View Post
            No, hipsters could never pull off anything hardcore. It goes against the hipster ethos. But they can don the watered down stuff, a-la All Saints and what the likes of Assembly and Odin peddle. Hipsterism IS about watering down, in a way.
            it's just a phase, do you really think they give a shit about it after another change of style?

Comment

• theetruscan
              • Jan 2008

Neat materials science research: http://www.treehugger.com/sustainabl...e-history.html

Given that "About 5.8 percent of residential electricity use goes towards the clothes dryer, according to DOE EIA statistics from 2001." (washing machine + water load not included - real number is considered much higher) it would be valuable to cut down on required washing/drying.

Naturally, the Guardian responds with "Sorry, but this sounds a bit gross. Far be it for us to argue with science, but hanging your T-shirt in the sunlight to give it a clean is all too reminiscent of seeing laundry "airing" on hangers outside halls of residences inhabited by stoned students who can't be bothered to pause Call of Duty: Black Ops and go down to the communal laundrette."

I hate reading the news. I hope this takes off, and I can just hang some of my jackets. The Dry Cleaning Roulette game sucks.
              Hobo: We all dress up. We all put on our armour before we walk out the door, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that we’re trying to be someone else.

Comment

• theetruscan
                • Jan 2008

Originally posted by Christian View Post
                Lane = Lame.

Fuuma taking a ride
                That is the most amazing section of a stunning movie.
                Hobo: We all dress up. We all put on our armour before we walk out the door, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that we’re trying to be someone else.

Comment

• DamageX
                  • Dec 2008

This is sad news, I enjoyed reading his articles immensely:

http://www.vanityfair.com/culture/ch...graydon-201112

Comment

• Faust
                    kitsch killer
                    • Sep 2006

/\ Was coming to post this. Very sad news, indeed - we lost a rare breed of an intellectual. RIP, Christopher Hitchens.

My interview with Hitchens here
                    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• zamb
                      • Nov 2006

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                      /\ Was coming to post this. Very sad news, indeed - we lost a rare breed of an intellectual. RIP, Christopher Hitchens.

My interview with Hitchens here

was just about to post this too..............you know he was my Arch enemy along with Dawkins, but I loved him and will missed him

never forgot the debate I watched with him debating Rabbi Wolpe in NY
                      “You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
                      .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

• endorphinz
                        Banned
                        • Jun 2009

[RANT]
                        I fuckin' can't stand the standardized scripts customer service reps use to try to pacify and placate a pissed off client/consumer. Throughout my life I have been VERY successful wining my disputes with MAJOR corps, sometimes escalating my problems to senior execs in order to receive satisfaction.

However, every now and again I run into a dispute that I know is not winnable and it drives me fuckin' crazy I just spent over an hour on the phone,with 3 levels of management only to hear the same fuckin' words echoed:

"I UNDERSTAND YOUR FRUSTRATION AND AM SORRY FOR YOUR INCONVENIENCE"

I told them that I'm not 'frustrated' but am ANGRY. I told them I am not being inconvenienced but rather I am being STOLEN from.

These unwinnable situations occur only when you have no leverage. You don't have much leverage when your dispute involves an off shore gambling company based in costa rica.
                        [/RANT]

Comment

• lowrey
                          ventiundici
                          • Dec 2006

strange question, but what is the english word for this? I need to find some of these industrial clamps/joints/whatever, but don't know what to search with...
                          "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• endorphinz
                            Banned
                            • Jun 2009

^industrial collars?

球友会(中国)官方网站,最全精彩赛事,多元竞猜玩法,市场最优赔率,注单秒接体验,高清直播让您如临现场,全程精彩不容错失,致力成为玩家最喜爱的专业体育平台。ios/安卓版/手机APP下载,奇幻赛事、特别投注 ,各种趣味玩法,最全赛事覆盖助你花式收米赢到人生巅峰。

Last edited by endorphinz; 12-16-2011, 05:37 PM.

Comment

• cjbreed
                              • Feb 2009

dying and coming back gives you considerable perspective

Comment

• lowrey
                                ventiundici
                                • Dec 2006

Originally posted by endorphinz View Post
                                ^industrial collars?
                                it would need to be somehow jointed and attachable to two pipes. like this.
                                "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎