Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dji
    • Feb 2008

despite the fact that I own all 3 current consoles and the 2 major handhelds I generally only find myself playing games a handful of hours a week these days. still try and purchase any titles of interest though in the the hope that I will find the time to play them, compulsive hoarder I guess .

from what I have read the new megaman is designed to play similarly to the first 2 games in the series (from way back on the nes), which basically means that it is insanely difficult . my favourite 2d shooters of all time are still the metal slug series though, loving the japanese version of metal slug 7 on the ds

Comment

• feralpartykids
      • Feb 2010

Video Games Anyone?

I figured we should start a thread on what you are currently playing,What system,and exchange screen names so we could play together.I'll Start.

Currently I'm playing Fifa 10',Call of Duty:Modern Warfare 2.
      I'm on Ps3
      My sn=feralpartykids

Also playing Mario Kart wii occasionally.
      "Minds are like parachutes, they work best when open."
      -Lord Thomas Dewar

Comment

• interest1
        • Nov 2008

sain't

Comment

• sam_tem
          • Apr 2007

i recently got a ps2 for the girlfriends 8yr old. this is my introduction to gaming after not having played anything since goldeneye on super nintendo back in high school.

i've been having a blast with we luv katamari, wrestling '07, twisted metal, and all the lego games. i can't help out with talking about anything new though.

Comment

• theetruscan
            • Jan 2008

There's a largeish video game thread that hasn't been updated since 2008. In it, people discuss cutting edge games, and Faust rails against such horrible society-destroying trash as video games, horseless carriages, and plumbing.
            Hobo: We all dress up. We all put on our armour before we walk out the door, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that we’re trying to be someone else.

Comment

• DRRRK
              • Aug 2009

And I agree with Faust. "Society destroying" is a strong term, but I can understand what he means. My favourite video game is still pong.

Comment

• MaxM
                • Sep 2009

Well i guess it is a generation thing. I have grown up with video games and so have all the people my age i know.

WTB : http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...ad.php?t=16112

Comment

• DRRRK
                  • Aug 2009

The only thing I have against video/computer games is that lots of people isolate themselves from their environment. I don't convict anybody, these games are not my main problem with today's society and this is not supposed to start a discussion. But please spare me from terms like "generation thing".
                  Go ahead now, I'll skip this thread (the third one after men's fragrances and dubstep).

Comment

• MaxM
                    • Sep 2009

Originally posted by DRRRK View Post
                    The only thing I have against video/computer games is that lots of people isolate themselves from their environment. I don't convict anybody, these games are not my main problem with today's society and this is not supposed to start a discussion. But please spare me from terms like "generation thing".
                    Go ahead now, I'll skip this thread (the third one after men's fragrances and dubstep).
                    1. I only play with my friends from time to time.
                    2. It is a fact.

Comment

• Faust
                      kitsch killer
                      • Sep 2006

Originally posted by theetruscan View Post
                      There's a largeish video game thread that hasn't been updated since 2008. In it, people discuss cutting edge games, and Faust rails against such horrible society-destroying trash as video games, horseless carriages, and plumbing.
                      Word!!!

ferile, please search before you start a new thread.
                      Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• ronin
                        Banned
                        • Dec 2009

What strikes me most as society destroying nowadays is not the isolation problem (although it is, people don't need video games to isolate themselves but the main difference with other alienating leisures is that is gives the person the illusion of action and encourages the development of personal emotions towards the activity), but the illusion of togetherness that some multiplayer games procure. I'm not talking about massive multiplayer online games which are a specific issue on their own, it probably was the first step to developping a parallel social network, which, as a substitute, may make social interaction perceived as useless. I'm thinking more of casual games advertised to be played in a group of people, these seem to impose themselves as a new kind of social activity, one that is extremely coded and that dictates the exact behavioral pattern of the people involved, and it disturbs me because those patterns are empty. From my point of view, without further analysis, they don't seem to be the result of a construction, of something slowly built through interactions and vehiculated through education to become a social code, understood and shared by all. They seem to be an ersatz of those, some summary, some copy, as if behavioral patterns had been observed, redrawned, simplified and reinjected into an empty, standardized cell supposed to make it for everyone, no matter their culture or personal references. Sure social gathering could always be artifically rythmed by board games, for example, but I still see a difference. You isolate youself, as long as the people around you respect the expected pattern you don't have to care for them, you can concentrate on escaping reality. Actually, we're back to the isolation problem in the end. Isolating yourself while not looking like it, I think it's worst.

(I'm saying this but I do enjoy playing Street Fighter or killing zombies with my friends from time to time. It may just not be the most fulfilling gatherings we have.)

Comment

• MaxM
                          • Sep 2009

Originally posted by ronin View Post
                          (I'm saying this but I do enjoy playing Street Fighter or killing zombies with my friends from time to time. It may just not be the most fulfilling gatherings we have.)
                          Agreed. But you can't deny it is fun

Comment

• theetruscan
                            • Jan 2008

I still go to a twice yearly gathering with people I met playing World of Warcraft way back when, and am in regular contact with a handful of them. It's certainly a way people meet friends these days. I, sadly, play almost no games these days.
                            Hobo: We all dress up. We all put on our armour before we walk out the door, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that we’re trying to be someone else.

Comment

• dji
                              • Feb 2008

Originally posted by DRRRK View Post
                              eh you could level the same sort of argument at someone that holes themselves up and watches movies/reads books all day, it's just another form of entertainment and should be treated as such.

unfortunately I don't have a great deal of time for games these days, in the past few months I've only had a chance to play through modern warfare 2 and uncharted 2 which were both stellar.

Comment

• tomatous
                                Banned
                                • Jan 2009

Originally posted by ronin View Post

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎