X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GlassOrganelle
    • Aug 2011

Originally posted by cjbreed View Post
    oh man. the music sucks. maybe it was supposed to be funny.
    I hope so. Maybe it's just my immaturity, but I kind of had to stop myself from laughing the whole time. I found it kind of distracting actually.

Comment

• ultimaratio
      • Aug 2009

I think misogyny is a bit of a stretch, especially as there is a woman on the track... from a cursory google search, I'm pretty sure Zebra Katz is gay and paying homage to 1990 gay/drag/trans culture. As far as I know, 'reading' as slang has its origins in urban gay culture... "Imma read that bitch" sounds like lexicon out of Paris is Burning, which as a reference really doesn't seem out of reach for Rick. Honestly, I think the whole context is pretty witty and subversive - the flames, the intensity of the soundtrack, the masks, the women he presents warriors of marginalized group finding a voice and fighting back against 'misogyny' not with 'beauty' or some idealized version of 'femininity' as in the past, but something more primal and aggressive. Typical Rick, it may not be appealing in the broadest sense.

Last edited by ultimaratio; 03-03-2012, 09:54 PM.

Comment

• trentk
        • Oct 2010

lol, they're horrified. (excuse the yellow box, accidentally got in my screenshot)
        "He described this initial impetus as like discovering that they both were looking at the same intriguing specific tropical fish, with attempts to understand it leading to a huge ferocious formalism he characterizes as a shark that leapt out of the tank."

Comment

• Matis
          • Feb 2010

I think that ultimaratio is right, the music is reffering to tranny, gay subculture in 90's and i see how Rick would like that.
          But still shitty music is shitty.

As for the collection, one of the best women shows he did, if you mute it that is.

Comment

• interest1
            • Nov 2008

. context, is everything.
            . love it.
            sain't

Comment

• Faust
              kitsch killer
              • Sep 2006

Crass and tacky. That guy went to Parsons? What a waste of space.
              Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• creature atelier
                • Mar 2009

The music was fantastic!! And this is what I love about Rick he always takes me to a place I love and for me the music always seals the deal with Nathan Fake a few seasons ago, Chris Liebing for the men's. This was such an homage to all the kids, out there and by kids I mean Vouging divas! (which btw worships everything feminine) Reading means in essence to give you the truth the harsh truth and Rick brought it!! But this is more of a personal connection because its a scene that's dear to me along with techno!! So the song has no meaning without the reference point, but trust me it was a good one pumping in that auditorium and funny to see editors and buyers bouncing their heads as they were leaving the building, because lets face it there's always too many sour faces at these things It was refreshing to see some smiles!!!

And a side note guys, don't take it so seriously, One Rick has a sense of humour. And if you follow Rick he is a fan of the Vogue beats and that scene. And trust me for us Bitch is often a term of endearment. I mean misogyny kind of made me laugh, just was not expecting to hear that. Lighten up, it's just fashion!!!

Comment

• widmerpool
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by between View Post
                  exactly. the masks actually reminded me of an armor,
                  That was the first thing I thought of also. Some people see misogyny everywhere.
                  http://asteroidanxiety.bandcamp.com

Comment

I don't understand why the debate around misogyny and the use of the word bitch. these clothes are clearly comfortable, full of integrity and empowering. the song is fucking amazing and just the kind of extra spice rick owens always gets right.

Comment

• christianef
                      • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                      Crass and tacky. That guy went to Parsons? What a waste of space.
                      arent u into nin and manson?

i like the baseline at the beginning at the end it gets kind of annoying but i guess it goes pretty good with the flow of the show. the dude who put men in heels and skirts for sure hates women.

edit* the real video doesnt have the annoying ending, track it tightttt.

Comment

• Faust
                        kitsch killer
                        • Sep 2006

/\ aren't you into bananas?
                        Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• michael_kard
                          • Oct 2010

Heirloom, agreed. I loved the song as well, most inspiring.
                          ENDYMA / Archival fashion & Consignment
                          Helmut Lang 1986-2005 | Ann Demeulemeester | Raf Simons | Burberry Prorsum | and more...

Comment

• BeauIXI
                            • Nov 2008

This whole show reminded me of Josie Packard for whatever reason.
                            Originally posted by philip nod
                            somebody should kop this. this is forever.

Comment

• Faust
                              kitsch killer
                              • Sep 2006

Originally posted by michael_kard View Post
                              Heirloom, agreed. I loved the song as well, most inspiring.
                              Shut up, bitch.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• michael_kard
                                • Oct 2010

ENDYMA / Archival fashion & Consignment
                                Helmut Lang 1986-2005 | Ann Demeulemeester | Raf Simons | Burberry Prorsum | and more...

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎