• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • endorphinz
    Banned
    • Jun 2009

Originally posted by christianef View Post
    you should maybe consider attaching a deeper meaning youd might end up looking like something more than a disheveled mid life crisis.
    my crisis started way before mid life. but, thanks for caring.

Comment

• Lumina
      • Dec 2009

As for a women's opinion, I don't really know, you seem to make a line between "people putting meaning and narrative in clothes in some kind of dressing up" and "people assembling shapes and colors". I don't think there is one being a search for deepness and a playful one. I do both.
      I certainly appreciate to play with shapes, colors, fabrics, layers, but I also like stories and narratives behind the clothes, whether it's the one the designer thought of or mostly what is evokes to me, my own narrative. And at the same time I appreciate the beauty of the items themselves. It has meaning for me, but at the same time it's playful and in the end just clothes.

Anyway, outfit from yesterday, great day in Antwerp with Rilu

Comment

• zamb
        • Nov 2006

you know Christianef,

i've always liked you and liked your post, in part because i don't like people who are always so polite to the point of not speaking their minds............however, there is a limit, and I think this is too far
        I think you owe the gentleman here an apology

Originally posted by christianef View Post
        you should maybe consider attaching a deeper meaning youd might end up looking like something more than a disheveled mid life crisis.
        “You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
        .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

• Chant
          Banned
          • Jun 2008

Moth : I agree with Lumina, and I don't really understand why you'd need to oppose "playing with forms and shapes" and "playing with narratives", since meanings (= narratives) are produced by or associated to the forms, the shapes and their combinations.
          In the case of Jogu, I think that the problem you may have is that you fail to recognize, or identify, the underlying narratives - or fantasies, since I prefer this word. I've always seen clothes (you know it and we both agree on it) as a way to play with the fantasies that lead our lives, and that we aren't really aware of - and that's the most interesting part of the game. And they're much more complex that the bullshit that the designers are putting to forefront to sell their stuff (Ann's romanticism, Ann's poetry, etc., for example, that some here seem to buy).

By the way, if you like forms/shapes/colours, like most of the people here do (except Endorphinz of course ), then you will as well like the clothes as objects by themselves (hence the fetishizing).

Originally posted by Mail-Moth View Post
          It's not about lying about yourself with a costume. It's about emphasizing parts of your personality through clothing. All I'm saying is that this is the boat we're in, and that sometimes I'd like to hear people admit that their taste for what they wear is not just as grounded on craftsmanship and technical wonders as it appears.

Comment

• zamb
            • Nov 2006

/\ Kant?
            is that you
            “You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
            .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

• endorphinz
              Banned
              • Jun 2009

nuthin like talkin clothes while watchin the nfl

Originally posted by zamb View Post
              you know Christianef,

i've always liked you and liked your post, in part because i don't like people who are always so polite to the point of not speaking their minds............however, there is a limit, and I think this is too far
              I think you owe the gentleman here an apology
              totally unnecessary. don't want it and I wouldn't accept anyway

funny, whenever I read her posts i notice her nic and all I think is:
              this chick really needs to boot up

Originally posted by Christian View Post
              By the way, if you like forms/shapes/colours, like most of the people here do (except Endorphinz
              I LOVE forms/shapes/colors. I'm just not interested in the "meaning" behind them.... especially meanings given by others. The only meaning that matters is mine. I'm selfish that way :)

Comment

• Mail-Moth
                • Mar 2009

Christian : I don't figure that as a complete opposition. And you're right, there are probably cases where I simply don't get the references - maybe because I don't know those, or maybe because they're not as obvious as they usually are - moins immédiates.

As for fetishism, I see your point and once again I can completely recognize myself in that : I do love objects for themselves as much as for what they convey - and that's why I am so reluctant to sell things once I get used to their physical presence. To their weight, of sorts. Maybe fetishism wasn't an appropriate term for what I was trying to point out.

Mmmmh. Wrong turn, I suppose.
                I can see a hat, I can see a cat,
                I can see a man with a baseball bat.

Comment

• BECOMING-INTENSE
                  • Jan 2008

Originally posted by Christian View Post
                  In the case of Jogu, I think that the problem you may have is that you fail to recognize, or identify, the underlying narratives - or fantasies, since I prefer this word. I've always seen clothes (you know it and we both agree on it) as a way to play with the fantasies that lead our lives, and that we aren't really aware of - and that's the most interesting part of the game. And they're much more complex that the bullshit that the designers are putting to forefront to sell their stuff (Ann's romanticism, Ann's poetry, etc., for example, that some here seem to buy).
                  You should rather trust your body, your senses, than those
                  fantasies. If you repeat them enough you might even convince
                  yourself that they actually are your fantasies.

As for Jogu, obvious references you could probably talk about
                  military, street/skating, computer gaming etc.
                  He's definitely about proportion and structure, texture not so much,
                  at least not what his photographs conveys.

And yes Lumina looks gorgeous up there in all her layers.
                  Are you afraid of women, Doctor?
                  Of course.

www.becomingmads.com

Comment

• hallucination
                    • Jan 2011

Well, no offence intended but AKA's fit is too cookie cutter - black leather jacket, black boots, black pants, black shirt, black shades.

Jogu on another hand is unpredictable - that man has style!

Comment

• Chant
                      Banned
                      • Jun 2008

Originally posted by BECOMING-INTENSE View Post
                      You should rather trust your body, your senses, than those
                      fantasies.
                      Sorry, but the opposition doesn't make sense, at least to me, since fantasies are, litteraly, embodied.

Comment

• pseudonym
                        • Jun 2009

Fall part 2? NOT complaining.

Julius cotton/silk drape-neck ls tee
                        Ann D cotton/poly slim pants
                        A1923 Llama high lace boots

Comment

• lowrey
                          ventiundici
                          • Dec 2006

Originally posted by merz
                          I don't think style could be defined as either predictability or a lack thereof- it has nothing to do with that.
                          this.
                          "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• chameleon
                            • Jun 2008

Lumina, that is breathtaking. You're always on point for me when it comes to silhouettes but this is exceptional now that we get to see the textures and details of each garment in such clarity. There's a lot of textures here but I don't think it gets busy, the top half works very well with the more neutral drape of the skirt. So so good.

Also loved genevieveryoko's, echo the earlier comments made. I don't think the jacket looks too small here, it's quite something else indeed. Liked it the last time around but love it even more here with the layers of fabric - how it folds out of the asymmetry - and the it ends with the hem of those pants. Totally agree with rilu there.

Some of the best this thread has to offer, and in the midst of some other great stuff (ochre, kuugaia, mbd)

Thanks to all who commented, btw. much appreciated.

Comment

• hallucination
                              • Jan 2011

Originally posted by merz
                              I don't think style could be defined as either predictability or a lack thereof- it has nothing to do with that..
                              that.. - herd mentality.

Comment

• lost53
                                • Dec 2010

[IMG][/IMG]

cotton, cashmere, cordovan

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢