Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gregor
    • Oct 2014

i think it also applies to leather jackets, considering what i've seen of late.

bet those all sell out at ink

Comment

• unwashed
      • Dec 2008

I remember MA+ did great pair of green derbies couple years back in a green color like the Guidi's. It's not something new to use colors. Maybe they've become a bit more vibrant, as of late.

Edit: found them. I like colored footwear, with a grey or black outfit you can really accentuate an outfit with colored shoes.
      Grailed link

Comment

• zamb
        • Nov 2006

Originally posted by fit magna caedes
        Yeah, he wants his cake and to eat it too, avoiding internet engagement and hype while in fact depending on it to keep raising his prices (and yes, they are insane, hats have doubled in price for the same model in a couple of years--although part of that might be our godawful dollar, now that I think about it ). A very different model to the active engagement by people like Zam, Geoffrey, who I feel show respect for their customers in the way they interact with us on here.

Carol? Margiela?

There are plenty of pics of Harnden floating around, and he's had past associations with other designers (Comme, ED).

Yeah, although MA+ prices have risen a fair bit. But yeah, always egregious. I sympathise more with those designers whose work shows more attention to detail--Its ironic that I can pay less for a Taichi coat than a PH jacket, considering that the Taichi coat has some obsessive detailing, silver fittings, and serious R&D each season for new fabrics, etc.

On the other hand, PR Patterson's cuts and materials keep improving (I love the hidden selvedge in his newer shirts, such as behind the fold in the placket). And his latest season is priced nearly identically to the first time I bought his work--high, but not ridiculous for the amount of work and the small volume.

PH raises his prices because he can, that's the real insult.

Hmmm. I'm hoping Bergfabel eventually finds its own direction, since I've liked some of the fabrics I've seen--it becomes easy to forgive past plagiarism if someone later discovers their own voice. And he's just beginning still, so I'm not ready to totally condemn him. The leather-backed buttons that Wooster did in that collab were less forgiveable, though...

Anyway--buy ED instead, she's still fairly reasonable in terms of pricing.

In this whole discussion there is a Lot of things to consider and i think some of it is missing from the whole discussion.

First off, i care not what a brand sells its items for, as brands are completely free to make whatever price they want. Also bear in mind that the prices in the stores ARE NOT what the brand gets for its products. Stores have their markups and what the markup is is based on the relationship that is established between the brands and the stores so its always different for everyone.

Harden is a completely different brand from MA+ operating on a completely different system. they may sell in the same stores and appeal to the sale clients but the company structures are very different
        A lot of MA+ fabrics are sources in places like Japan and him having to pay duties and import taxes. from my understanding Harden sources almost everything in England/ Scotland.

Another thing to consider is that all of PH garments are made entirely by machine. A significant portion of MA+ garments are made by hand or in the very least have a lot of hand finishing which requires a different type of skill set
        One can decrease price with an increase in volume if they are doing a full machine setup. If one is making clothes by hand or at least doing some aspects of it by hand, it is very difficult to reduce production cost because of the human element involved.

That bein g said I am simply stating all of this as an observer, being (partly) ignorant of the full scope of operation of both brands, which is none of my business anyways, but just giving things to consider when discussing these topics
        “You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
        .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

• Chinorlz
          • Sep 2006

It is unfortunate that some of the most interesting designers right now such as Taichi Murakami and Deepti (who both have big focus on materials research & development along with construction techniques) don't have much internet presence. Murakami doesn't seem to outright shun online coverage so you can still read a bit about the designs, approaches and concepts whereas Deepti is not so easy.

If I see another "new designer" doing the same thing, with more derivative and uninspired "brooding" "dark" clothing I'm pretty much going to lose total faith in the future of the garment design world.
          www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• Faust
            kitsch killer
            • Sep 2006

Don't worry, a Deepti profile coming to SZ magazine soon(ish). With Taichi - and I'm speculating - it could be a Japanese thing, a shyness in presenting in English-language media and not really a deliberate attempt at obscurity.
            Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• allurahosain
              • Sep 2014

The zippers in both of my BBS pants are terrible..Aesthetically I love the way they look..they are slender, matte silver (why isn't anyone doing matte black zippers on black clothes btw???), but the BBS zippers are almost impossible to get up and down. I'm a female..don't know if the menswear has different zippers. Also, the ones in the pants I'm referring to are at the fly and set at a diagonal, so perhaps this contributes.

Comment

• unwashed
                • Dec 2008

designer wear is form over function
                Grailed link

Comment

• Resonkuken
                  • Oct 2012

Both pants I have come with buttons, not a zipper, fortunately. However my devoa pants do have a diagonal zipper but I´ve never had a problem. Looks kinda cool actually.

Comment

• DudleyGray
                    • Jul 2013

Originally posted by allurahosain View Post
                    The zippers in both of my BBS pants are terrible..Aesthetically I love the way they look..they are slender, matte silver (why isn't anyone doing matte black zippers on black clothes btw???), but the BBS zippers are almost impossible to get up and down. I'm a female..don't know if the menswear has different zippers. Also, the ones in the pants I'm referring to are at the fly and set at a diagonal, so perhaps this contributes.
                    Pencil or crayon the zipper teeth, maybe?

There seem to be a lot of zippers in my life beyond the ones attached to my pants. What's the best way to keep them zipping and unzipping smoothly and easily?
                    bandcamp | facebook | youtube

Comment

• mikko
                      • Apr 2013

Yes, even the "top of the line" lamb fur COAT2 I have from Structurism has the shittiest zipper...

Comment

• gregor
                        • Oct 2014

it's the same in menswear in my experience; my nicolas andreas taralis jacket has really shitty hardware, honestly.

it's definitely made to look nicer than it functions.

Comment

• Chinorlz
                          • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                          Don't worry, a Deepti profile coming to SZ magazine soon(ish). With Taichi - and I'm speculating - it could be a Japanese thing, a shyness in presenting in English-language media and not really a deliberate attempt at obscurity.
                          Very cool! Looking forward to the Deepti profile!

I agree, I don't think Taichi is purposefully staying away from the internet at all... just a lack of in-depth western coverage on his works. Really beautiful stuff though with clearly evident fabric and construction R&D and a nice expansion into a line of accessories this season that match his personal style as well as the clothes.
                          www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• newp
                            • Feb 2013

I wish some stores had a backup for main staff to answer clients' emails while main staff is in Paris, especially if their sales of this designer you ask a question about are done through email only.
                            Waiting for an answer for 12 days is frustrating.

Comment

• TriggerDiscipline
                              • Apr 2013

Originally posted by newp View Post
                              I wish some stores had a backup for main staff to answer clients' emails while main staff is in Paris, especially if their sales of this designer you ask a question about are done through email only.
                              Waiting for an answer for 12 days is frustrating.
                              sounds like ink bbs
                              Originally posted by unwashed
                              Try to use a phone camera in broad daylight or use a proper camera.
                              Originally posted by Ahimsa
                              I've found it extremely pleasant and enthralling over repeated whiffs so I would highly recommend.

Comment

• newp
                                • Feb 2013

Originally posted by TriggerDiscipline View Post
                                sounds like ink bbs
                                Jackpot!

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎