Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • byhand
    • Dec 2011

There's a Saint Laurent jacket listed for $100,000.

I've noticed that there is a weird thing happening on Grailed where a person lists items he has no real interest in selling, typically the listing has a wacky price that no one would pay. Instead, the person just wants to show off their wardrobe of rare/pricey items. It's like people are trying to turn Grailed into a show-and-tell forum. It's a "look what I have" listing that's not really a listing. It's odd.

Remember that nutty guy who listed many BBS hoodies in one listing and bitched about how he was ill-treated at the BBS store - they didn't recognize his status as an important customer. His response was to play act at dumping his collection online. In his own mind he was keeping the BBS business afloat by purchasing one hoodie every season. He had a crazy price on his collection of hoodies and talked about them like they were a museum-quality collection that deserved acknowledgement. He just wanted a little respect. Looking to strangers online to praise you for your dumb collection of hoodies is interesting in a lot of ways as an onlooker, but it has nothing to do with hoodies.

Then there is the guy who posted his collection of what must have been 25 pairs of CCP footwear. No interest in actually selling. I don't remember his price but it was nutty. He wanted to flex for the folks on Grailed. All he achieved was looking like a fool.

Grailed can be a useful tool. It can also be a window into psychosis.

Comment

• Lex1017
      • Jul 2015

I stumbled across a guy on instagram whose description was "99% of items I wear are for sale". How fast does this guy change his wardrobe. Do you even like clothes? Fuck. Instagram flexer kids are the worst.

Comment

• arby2001
        • Jan 2011

it's just bizarre that someone feels the need to show off their collection
        if they had serious money it would be a car or real estate; i very quickly realised that my 3k jacket means jack in a city with million dollar apartments
        too skinny for rick

Comment

• Alan
          • Aug 2014

Originally posted by arby2001 View Post
          it's just bizarre that someone feels the need to show off their collection
          if they had serious money it would be a car or real estate; i very quickly realised that my 3k jacket means jack in a city with million dollar apartments
          If garments are beautiful, there's nothing wrong with showing off your collection, as long as you're not an ass about it
          Last edited by Alan; 11-13-2017, 01:18 AM.

Comment

• Alan
            • Aug 2014

Originally posted by Lex1017 View Post
            I stumbled across a guy on instagram whose description was "99% of items I wear are for sale". How fast does this guy change his wardrobe. Do you even like clothes? Fuck. Instagram flexer kids are the worst.
            99% of items I wear are for sale too, they've been for sale forever. I don't understand your logic. What does percentage have to do with frequency have to do with liking clothes?
            Last edited by Alan; 11-13-2017, 01:38 AM.

Comment

• 13we2
              • Sep 2015

Originally posted by Sombre View Post
              Those two are not remotely comparable.

There's a Saint Laurent jacket listed for $100,000. The seller wants "reasonable offers." He also has a couple jackets in the $30,000 range for the poor man. That's a game I'm not willing to play no matter how much I want a piece.
              I'm not talking about ALL of it, of course. You have to deal with dickheads in each and every area of life, that's no reason to quit living, though. The Grailed sellers I have dealt with personally have been generally friendly and nice, and I got surprisingly good deals fairly often. I've always thought the view that Grailed = devaluation = end of fashion is too one-sided, it remains a good question whether sales of the Grailed-popular brands would actually boom or drop if Grailed and the like be eliminated overnight. I mean I know you respect the brand and the work that went into the piece, but sometimes people say yes and why not just save that 50% money?

Comment

• 13we2
                • Sep 2015

No they don't like clothes, they just want attention, apparently, and you can't blame them for thet. They probably don't even care what the brands of their clothes are called. Just part of their business - not sure about the western world, but here in China, what we call "Wang Hong" (literally "Internet Red" meaning Internet celebrity) has become a quite serious and impactful businness mode, a "Wang Hong" attracts miliions of fans first on various platforms and runs his/her own online store at the same time selling 30 usd clothes and cosmetics that can help the fans get as "red" (Chinese equivalent for "fire", popular) as themselves. Lots of them have already got very impressive and successful, like Top 500 richest guy successful or close.

Comment

• Lex1017
                  • Jul 2015

Being in a constant state of reinvention sounds stressful to me. What it has to do with liking clothes is that obviously the person doesn't like 99% of what they buy enough to keep it past the point of showing off said instagram photo. I keep my clothes and wear the fuck out of them. I think Rick said in an interview something along the lines of people who are always changing their styles may not truly know who they are. I loved that.

Comment

• Alan
                    • Aug 2014

Being in a constant state of reinvention sounds stressful to me. What it has to do with liking clothes is that obviously the person doesn't like 99% of what they buy enough to keep it past the point of showing off said instagram photo. I keep my clothes and wear the fuck out of them. I think Rick said in an interview something along the lines of people who are always changing their styles may not truly know who they are. I loved that.
                    I love that quote too, and it's true. But constantly changing clothes doesn't necessarily mean changing styles. Some people just get bored too quickly and need constant change and variety. I'm like you though, I wear my clothes to the point where they're not even worth $1 on Grailed.

Comment

• Dropt
                      • May 2009

As someone who's been buying and selling for a long time now I constantly rotate stuff in my wardrobe, but some garments I've had for years and have no intention of ever selling. I think it's a mixture of bringing novelty whilst evolving within a certain aesthetic that flutters with your path of life; depending on where you live or the type of people you surround yourself with.

Comment

• Faust
                        kitsch killer
                        • Sep 2006

I can't stand my FB feed for two days after each time someone in fashion dies. All these outpourings of grief seem so fake.
                        Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• gawkrodger
                          • Jun 2013

Ramones are great in the snow

Comment

• Lohikaarme
                            • Jul 2013

Originally posted by gawkrodger View Post
                            Ramones are great in the snow
                            Do the shark teeth keep you from eating shit every time you come across an icy patch?

Comment

• 13we2
                              • Sep 2015

Interesting.

Buy, sell and discover authenticated pieces from top brands, spanning designer, vintage, streetwear and more. Shop men's and women's clothing on Grailed, the platform for personal style. Explore top listings from the community today.

Curious why there aren't any brands that dropped out of or jumped in the Top 30 list?
                              Last edited by 13we2; 12-29-2017, 09:20 AM.

Comment

• ian+
                                • Dec 2011

Originally posted by 13we2 View Post
                                Interesting.

Buy, sell and discover authenticated pieces from top brands, spanning designer, vintage, streetwear and more. Shop men's and women's clothing on Grailed, the platform for personal style. Explore top listings from the community today.

Curious why there aren't any brands that dropped out of or jumped in the Top 30 list?
                                I am also surprised that Balenciaga or Vetements are not there.
                                ...bombing the bass, blasting the beat

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎