X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

No, let him be stuck in the Theory purgatory. Apparently he loves New York and its parties. Yippie! Who needs work?
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
      kitsch killer
      • Sep 2006

See, it's all in the context.

What a bunch of bullshit.
      Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Macro
        • Apr 2008

Ugh...
        every man has inside himself a parasitic being who is acting not at all to his advantage

Comment

• mrbeuys
          • May 2008

Ima stay outta this.
          Hi. I like your necklace. - It's actually a rape whistle, but the whistle part fell off.

Comment

• i just read that bitch.

Comment

• several_girls
              • Nov 2010

A few things I'd like to point out in this debate:

- Just because a woman is singing misogynistic lyrics does not negate the misogyny. TO assume so would involve essentializing women as fundamentally different then men. Essentializing is often the justification for misogyny (women are [x], women can't [y], etc) as well as other kinds of discrimination. This also would preclude women from being misogynists themselves. We don't say, for example, that Afro-American political disenfranchisement becomes acceptable when a black person (Booker T. Washington) advocates for it.

Please note that I'm not deciding whether or not the lyrics are in fact misogynistic. I'm saying that the argument "A woman is singing on the track too so that makes it OK" is shallow thinking.

- Although the author of that Daily Beast article questions Rick's intentions and character, one need not hate women to do something misogynistic. You can have the best of intentions, the purest of motivations and still produce something culturally unacceptable.

- Finally, there are arguments that the word 'bitch' is, because of its etymology, its use in society, its history, is malum in se. That is, it is misogynistic whenever and wherever it is used. This also means that it cannot be reclaimed/reappropriated. I haven't thought and read enough on this issue to give an opinion, just realize that these arguments exist.

Comment

• interest1
                • Nov 2008

Originally posted by Faust View Post

See, it's all in the context.

What a bunch of bullshit.
                I'm having a hard time finding any bullshit. Mind pointing it out?

Originally posted by several_girls View Post
                . . . Although the author of that Daily Beast article questions Rick's intentions and character, one need not hate women to do something misogynistic. You can have the best of intentions, the purest of motivations and still produce something culturally unacceptable.

. .That would be Ms. Robin Givhan.
                . .Never cared for her vanilla fashion opinions when she was at The Washington Post.
                . .Still don't.

. .
                sain't

Comment

• MJRH
                  • Nov 2006

This article, Queer Theory and Politics, is good for highlighting the complexity of all these arguments (but is about the reclamation of queer, not bitch or slut).

Here is a diagram of all of these issues:

I mean, speaking of reclamation, I was reviewing the pics for this show, and who's to say that the models are the ones being read to? They look rather imposing, why can't the music be narrating their intent?
                  ain't no beauty queens in this locality

Comment

• Faust
                    kitsch killer
                    • Sep 2006

Originally posted by interest1 View Post
                    I'm having a hard time finding any bullshit. Mind pointing it out?
                    Yeah. Trying to explain away something that is clearly offensive (the lyrics of that song) with "context." In that case anything can be explained away. That is BULLSHIT.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• AKA*NYC
                      • Nov 2007

maybe when the weather gets a bit nicer we should organize an sz field trip to the christopher street piers...
                      LOVE THE SHIRST... HOW much?

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      😀
                      🥰
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎