• Fuuma
    • Sep 2006

Fashion as teratology.
    Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
    http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Comment

• hommedeguerre
      • Jun 2009

Man, I was so excited when T Magazine asked me for my image to grace this article's headline...now I feel like I'm promoting the downfall of my own profession.

I do 100% agree with what Suzy says, however. Just a shame, as I don't shoot the people on "parade" the same way that others do. I'll still shoot those people, but try to take it out of context...but I guess you're either a part of the problem...or...
      Le 21ème

Comment

• Faust
        kitsch killer
        • Sep 2006

I wrote an article on this whole thing which unfortunately won't come out for quite a while, so I can't share it.

It's certainly an interesting conundrum and you are a facilitator, but it's the peacocks that are vying for your attention and the peacocks have agency (i.e. they make their own decisions, to be photographed or not). I don't think your profession is not going anywhere. You are satisfying the basic desire on the part of the masses to ogle, giving them what they want. Everyone is complicit. Hey, at least your photos are good.
        Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• hommedeguerre
          • Jun 2009

Thank you, Faust. I'm just hoping its not going the way of rollerblading. ;)
          Le 21ème

Comment

• crtk001
            • Nov 2010

In my earlier writing I spoke on how the fashion elite were, in a sense, robbed of the spectacle of fashion, or more specifically, the fashion show (the true event of fashion). Helmut Lang set off a future where fashion information was disseminated to all inquiring minds at the same time as the fashion elite. In fact, Lang's first blow to the spectacle too place before the event, before the runway itself. A step that has since retreated a bit, but at the time an appropriate move to break the structure. The structure has since rebuilt and adapted to embrace the new advent of the internet and instant dissemination. It is not uncommon for runways to to be streamed live on the internet. This does not supersede the event like Lang's actions did, but widens the scope for more participants to take part in the spectacle. In this the pomp, exclusivity, and the "show" of the event has been diminished from fashion culture, a once sweet treat that has now gone tart for the fashion elite.

It is now easier to understand this change that has happened in fashion. The event is no longer the fashion show, whose atmosphere, visual, and experience is fabricated, and in such ways is a 2-Dimensional experience, is the same for participants on and offline. The event, the now true spectacle of fashion, has changed to the pre- and post- show. The less fabricated and controlled, which is not easily translated to the 2-Dimensions of the screen.

Comment

• Faust
              kitsch killer
              • Sep 2006

The elite is alive and kicking. This supposed democratization of access to fashion show is an illusion akin to democracy as participatory government in politics. Keeps the masses calm and content through the false feeling of importance and inclusiveness.
              Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
                kitsch killer
                • Sep 2006

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Peasant
                  • Jul 2009

That was f'ing awesome, E. Loved it.

Comment

• DudleyGray
                    • Jul 2013

This seems like another good example of the clothing fetishization that I'm coming to resent, like the concept of grails. I don't like the idea of clothing being the end experience itself, clothing should be limited as a means to an end of living life. Wearing clothes to be seen in said clothes to go look at more clothes that you'll wear to be seen in doing the same shit, it's just so fucking stupid and try hard.
                    bandcamp | facebook | youtube

Comment

• Faust
                      kitsch killer
                      • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Peasant View Post
                      That was f'ing awesome, E. Loved it.
                      Thank you, sir.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• zen dog
                        • Jan 2014

Yes, DG. I think there are several things going on here. Its sad but not surprising that human interest in celebrities and what others are wearing/ doing would filter in and taint something so public as fashion and then big business would muscle its way back into a forum as "equalizing" as the internet.

As to grails and other forms of obsession, it can be hard to tell in others' comments and even one's thoughts the level these pursuits take hold of someone's thoughts. There is the teenage exclamation "I'll just die if I can't have this jacket!" Does that idea continue as one gets older? Or do layers of perspective as one ages turn that into an idea can can be toyed with and be laughed at as it tugs at thought and actions?

To extend an oft quoted phrase- don't let clothing own you- physically, financially, socially, emotionally or whatever other insidious ways your brain gives into. True luxury is being able to have these worries and not being concerned about affording a coat; not getting into a fancy restaurant but being able to walk down grocery aisles and able to buy almost anything.

Comment

• DudleyGray
                          • Jul 2013

I know I am guilty of the grail mentality myself. So it's kind of a self-resentment thing there. But with the photofashioninstabloggers, I don't know whether there's any self-resentment. I don't feel that I could honestly say whether that would be me if I lived in Paris or NYC or whatever given certain circumstances. I don't know if I would be a fashion whore, and I find that a little upsetting.

But I think everything you've said is accurate/insightful, and man you really are zen as shit.
                          bandcamp | facebook | youtube

Comment

• Faust
                            kitsch killer
                            • Sep 2006

/\ Dude, put a filter on your stream of consciousness, seriously. Why does every fucking thought in your head must come out on SZ? You want to do that, go start a blog that your two friends can read. WTF does this topic have to do with grail mentality? Read more, post less - last warning.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• david s
                              • Jul 2010

working professionally in this medium it really begs the question of whether there really is a discourse going on between fashion brands and the public.

if it's really a select elite that are constantly getting pictures taken, along with some brands outfitting those getting photograph, there is no real exchange of ideas

Blogging at this point seems to have just become another appendage of the publicity machine. "this.is.the.fashion." follow its dictates.
                              It's absolutely Hedious!
                              shy poser

Comment

• Faust
                                kitsch killer
                                • Sep 2006

/\ amen

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎