Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HJS
    • Sep 2012

So glad to learn that Atelier is coming back albeit slightly diluted. It was difficult to understand how a city like New York could be left with so few stores to shop for niche designers. Barney's and Dover Street Market don't really cut it. We need an establishment here like Florence's PNP and Atelier was it. Tired of having to shop online with Japan and Italy or H Lorenzo, Cruvoir or The Archive in California.

Comment

• Faust
      kitsch killer
      • Sep 2006

Originally posted by BlacknWhite View Post
      If they're going to put Visvim in there, I would think Undercover would help with making a sale too. Everyone likes a bit of Undercover, yea?
      Nope. Undercover has a history of not performing well in NYC. Everyone who has ever carried it dropped it after a few seasons.
      Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
        kitsch killer
        • Sep 2006

Originally posted by HJS View Post
        So glad to learn that Atelier is coming back albeit slightly diluted. It was difficult to understand how a city like New York could be left with so few stores to shop for niche designers. Barney's and Dover Street Market don't really cut it. We need an establishment here like Florence's PNP and Atelier was it. Tired of having to shop online with Japan and Italy or H Lorenzo, Cruvoir or The Archive in California.
        Not that difficult. This whole NYC as capital of style is a myth. Most people here dress sporty or preppy.
        Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• HJS
          • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Faust View Post
          Not that difficult. This whole NYC as capital of style is a myth. Most people here dress sporty or preppy.
          Don't think of New York so much as fashion capital of world but rather a city that has everything to offer. So why not some great stores like PNP or Darklands for those of us who no longer care to dress like the fashion media masses.

Comment

• BlacknWhite
            • Apr 2014

That's a shame. Lets see how they do this time around with Acne, AMI, Carven, and the likes in there.

Comment

• PoorHarnden
              • Jan 2014

This is really WTF and no mercy at Atelier anymore..

Comment

• TriggerDiscipline
                • Apr 2013

Don't think of New York so much as fashion capital of world but rather a city that has everything to offer. So why not some great stores like PNP or Darklands for those of us who no longer care to dress like the fashion media masses.
                this is literally tokyo
                Originally posted by unwashed
                Try to use a phone camera in broad daylight or use a proper camera.
                Originally posted by Ahimsa
                I've found it extremely pleasant and enthralling over repeated whiffs so I would highly recommend.

Comment

• eleves
                  • Sep 2012

Nope. Undercover has a history of not performing well in NYC. Everyone who has ever carried it dropped it after a few seasons.
                  Was just about to say the same thing. With all the hype surrounding Undercover, all the attention it gets, you would think that a city like NY would be eating it up. Even the slight experimentation at Uniqlo with their UU stuff didn't sell at retail or even at normal markdowns. A lot of the key pieces ended up moving at 60% off or more. You would think that the low Uniqlo prices and the slight creativity of the collection would attract crowds of people who like some forward thinking brands while not wanting to spend tons of money but that wasn't the case.

Anyway, with Fall swiftly approaching, does anyone have any new info regarding exact opening dates?
                  Originally posted by Faust
                  HOBBY?! HOBBY?!?!?!?!?! You are on SZ, buddy - it ain't no hobby, it's passion, religion, and unbounded cosmic love rolled into one.

Comment

• Faust
                    kitsch killer
                    • Sep 2006

Because most of "us" can't afford this shit at retail?

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
                      kitsch killer
                      • Sep 2006

Originally posted by eleves View Post
                      Was just about to say the same thing. With all the hype surrounding Undercover, all the attention it gets, you would think that a city like NY would be eating it up. Even the slight experimentation at Uniqlo with their UU stuff didn't sell at retail or even at normal markdowns. A lot of the key pieces ended up moving at 60% off or more. You would think that the low Uniqlo prices and the slight creativity of the collection would attract crowds of people who like some forward thinking brands while not wanting to spend tons of money but that wasn't the case.

Anyway, with Fall swiftly approaching, does anyone have any new info regarding exact opening dates?
                      I don't think there is much hype around undercover, if any at all. Also, I think people throw the word "hype" around too easily. Hype is excessive, unwarranted attention. Undercover got attention in the last decade, but it was absolutely warranted. None in this decade.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• HJS
                        • Sep 2012

Because most of "us" can't afford this shit at retail?
                        I am definitely part of "us" but it's still nice to be able to touch and feel in a store. And those stores do occasionally have some nice sales(eg August at If)

Comment

• BodyDouble
                          • Jan 2014

Even in L.A. Undercover doesn't sell at 80% off. I picked up some UC stuff during last season sale and most of the items I returned because the quality just feels flat out cheap. The leather on the Psychocandy stadium jacket was practically the same as the Uniqlo Undercover leather at maybe 5 times the price. I do love the t-shirts though, but it's still a tough sale at the retail prices they charge.

Comment

• MikeN
                            • Nov 2007

Americans want fast fashion, and unfortunately New York is part of America for the time being.

Comment

• eleves
                              • Sep 2012

I don't think there is much hype around undercover, if any at all. Also, I think people throw the word "hype" around too easily. Hype is excessive, unwarranted attention. Undercover got attention in the last decade, but it was absolutely warranted. None in this decade.
                              To be honest, you are correct. It must be the circle of people I tend to follow in media and the people that I talk to (so many asian friends lol). A lot of what I look at is "Japan-centric" and I guess that's what makes Undercover huge to me. My first taste of anything remotely SZ was when I started to wear/follow Number (N)ine and that led to learning about brands like Undercover, which many of my friends still religiously follow. More of like a really expensive cult brand then? Regardless, never once expected Atelier to pick them up, never even expected Barneys to pick Undercover up for however brief that was. Opening Ceremony was a surprise buy but I knew that would have never lasted long anyway. DSM was the definite expected one though and it's definitely enough for NYC. Isn't that what they wanted to do with DSMNY? Make it a destination in a rather subdued area?
                              Originally posted by Faust
                              HOBBY?! HOBBY?!?!?!?!?! You are on SZ, buddy - it ain't no hobby, it's passion, religion, and unbounded cosmic love rolled into one.

Comment

• stadsvandringar
                                • Aug 2008

Actually Atelier themselves carried undercover for a time. And Faust is right, it did not sell (which is too bad). I think their retail outside of Japan is just too high, and they don't have the same kind of cache that Visvim is currently enjoying.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎