X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • newp
    • Feb 2013

Originally posted by agentred View Post
    I know this post is a bit old, but for anybody in Tokyo looking for good bars two absolute must tries are:

Ben Fiddich - like a speakeasy in that it's the top of a nondescript office buliding in shinjuku, but the bartender is a cocktail genius. He'll mix e.g. an aperol spritz by blending the underlying herbs instead of pouring Aperol out of a bottle. My qualm with the post-Petraske cocktail world is that it's more show than product, they're tilting two bottles, shaking the mixture and you're not walking out without losing a benjamin. Ben Fiddich is like Death&co/Milk&honey/etc. etc. but done properly.

The Open Book - pretty new bar in the Golden Gai, when I went it was just a business card stuck to a wooden door. But they use a hop infusion tap to mix lemon shandys, there are books everywhere, and the bartender's grandfather was the first person to translate Raymond Chandler novels to Japanese. Laid back, awesome, gotta go.
    Thank you! I will save it till my next trip there.

Comment

• vah
      • Aug 2016

Speaking of Ben Fiddich, Lucky Peach quite recently had a feature on the "sanctuary bars of Tokyo" which featured it.

Comment

• TriggerDiscipline
        • Apr 2013

Originally posted by vah View Post
        Speaking of Ben Fiddich, Lucky Peach quite recently had a feature on the "sanctuary bars of Tokyo" which featured it.

http://luckypeach.com/guides/best-hidden-bars-tokyo/
        all those bars are not hidden lol, everyone knows bar martha and trench, and these places are normally packed with people
        Originally posted by unwashed
        Try to use a phone camera in broad daylight or use a proper camera.
        Originally posted by Ahimsa
        I've found it extremely pleasant and enthralling over repeated whiffs so I would highly recommend.

Comment

• agentred
          • Jul 2009

Originally posted by TriggerDiscipline View Post
          all those bars are not hidden lol, everyone knows bar martha and trench, and these places are normally packed with people
          Yeah I think some editor at Lucky Peach who's never been to Tokyo came up with that headline to try and get clicks.

The writer's actual list is decent, Martha and Ben Fiddich may be busy but they're not tourist disasters like JBS has become. I've found that if you go to these bars at odd hours you still get a pretty quiet environment and a unique experience.

Comment

• zeebee
            • Dec 2008

I went to Bar Martha last night and really enjoyed it. Great atmosphere and vibe, great music selection mostly played off of vinyl. Very strict policy of no picture taking. A couple got throughly ripped by the DJ when he spotted them. They were forced to settle bill and leave immediately.

Great place with cool McIntosh amps and vinyl collection.

Comment

• dji
              • Feb 2008

visiting Japan again after 7 years. planning to visit the stores below, any interesting places I've missed?

Tokyo
              Shibuya
              B'2nd
              ID Clothing Heart
              Midwest
              Royal Flash

Harajuku
              LHP
              Studious

Daikanyama
              Attachment
              Gullam
              Julius
              Lift
              Lift Ecru

Ometsando
              Boutique W
              R&CO

Ebisu
              The Viridi-Anne

Meguro
              Venom/ Diet Butcher Slim Skin

Aoyama
              Rick Owens

Shinjuku
              Isetan Men

Kyoto
              Bernice
              Mindtrive, EM, Bullet
              Vektor

Osaka
              Minami
              Gordini
              Fascinate
              Jet Park
              K's Clothing
              LHP
              Loom
              Royal Flash
              Rule 1588
              The R
              Why are you here?

Umeda
              Royal Flash
              Rule
              Studious

is DSM worth a visit? is l'eclaireur in Tokyo still open?

Comment

• TriggerDiscipline
                • Apr 2013

Tokyo
                Shibuya
                B'2nd - theres nothing to see here tbh its pretty much a waste of time
                ID Clothing Heart - if you want to see like maruyama or julius this could be ok
                Midwest - i dont know this store
                Royal Flash - this is cool to look at, there is a hidden elevator to the third floor which is nice to look at

bedrock the concept alone is worth looking at

Harajuku
                LHP - also not worth looking at unless you want to see julius but its better to look at it at isetan or julius flagship
                Studious - no comment but this isnt really SZ clothes

Daikanyama
                Attachment - this is ok to look at
                Gullam - no comment but I guess worth looking at.
                Julius - view above on LHP
                Lift - good time to go to lift right now
                Lift Ecru - same goes for mini lift

Ometsando
                Boutique W - the one stop shop for bbs
                R&CO - no comment

Ebisu
                The Viridi-Anne - I dont think there is anything here to see unless you want to see the interior, everything is in isetan and lift
                Meguro
                Venom/ Diet Butcher Slim Skin - is this still up?

Aoyama
                Rick Owens - I would go to say hi to Satoru and the store itself is very beautiful.
                Shinjuku
                Isetan Men - the second and third floor only

Kyoto

dont waste your time looking at clothes in kyoto go do something better than that.

Osaka
                Minami
                Gordini - sure
                Fascinate - sure
                Jet Park - I dont know what this is
                K's Clothing - this is not really SZ clothing, its more visual kei
                LHP - this LHP is really bad.
                Loom - I wouldnt go here either, went once but they do not have stock.
                Royal Flash - no need to go here.
                Rule 1588 - idk what this is
                The R - Julius and other visual kei clothing, owner kiba san is very nice guy, much respect.
                Why are you here? - idk what this is
                AYIN store with the most BBS in japan
                24/8 JP for the ladies

Umeda

not worth it

is DSM worth a visit? - yes 100%

is l'eclaireur in Tokyo still open? no

all this with a grain of salt though I guess.
                Last edited by TriggerDiscipline; 09-28-2016, 03:20 AM.
                I've found it extremely pleasant and enthralling over repeated whiffs so I would highly recommend.

Comment

• Faust
                  kitsch killer
                  • Sep 2006

Agree with Trigger from the limited knowledge I have. Honestly, though, don't limit yourself to core SZ brands. The Comme des Garcons and Yohji flagships in Aoyama are a must. DSM only if you have the time, and so are the Undercover and Sacai flagships. At Isetan not only clothes but the incredible food court and Japanese ceramics. In Daikanyama the T-Site is a must for books, and stop for a coffee at Saturday's Surf, have it in their back yard.
                  Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• TriggerDiscipline
                    • Apr 2013

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                    Agree with Trigger from the limited knowledge I have. Honestly, though, don't limit yourself to core SZ brands. The Comme des Garcons and Yohji flagships in Aoyama are a must. DSM only if you have the time, and so are the Undercover and Sacai flagships. At Isetan not only clothes but the incredible food court and Japanese ceramics. In Daikanyama the T-Site is a must for books, and stop for a coffee at Saturday's Surf, have it in their back yard.
                    Those are good options and depending on the route you take all of those are close to Rick so you'll end up passing by those places, including issey miyake. When I mean not worth it it's usually trash brands or just a minimalist interior with no thought process whatsoever.

Like for example the clothes in royal flash is pretty visual kei and sort of trashy rock and roll but the store concept and the visual displays are really nice. Especially bedrock and royal flash, for having its own flair and taste which is real nice. Attachment, LHP, studious, B 2nd for example all have extremely generic interiors. Royal flash, B 2nd and lhp are the same super conglomerate as well (ueno shokai) . I'm not even sure what makes up the B 2nd market I guess people who want to wear guidis with Robert geller and backlash leathers?

Comment

• nicelynice
                      • Oct 2009

Lift has good stuff in. Be sure to check out Cornelian Taurus (bags) and Petrosolaum (shoes). Always nice to come to Japan and buy, y'know, Japanese things. Petrosolaum in particular makes fantastic handmade shoes. Araki Yuu and Ansnam are two other great brands that haven't really caught on overseas yet.

Other stores to check out:

Tokyo
                      Souterrain

Araki Yuu, Greg Lauren, Ansnam, GBS

Tokyo (Jiyugaoka) I wouldn't come all the way for this store, but this is a nice neighborhood
                      Carrefour
                      自由が丘にあるCarrefour(カルフール)の公式オンラインショップです。ArakiYuu、Collina、GUIDI、Bergfabel、m.a+、taichimurakami、cornelian taurus、STEPHAN SCHNEIDER、Acne Studios、ENFOLD、BLANC等の旬なブランドを取り扱うコンセプトショップです。

LUC, MA+, Taichi Murakami, Ansnam

Osaka (Umeda), Tokyo (Ginza)
                      Cathedral

Kaval, Opus Japan, GBS, Araki Yuu, IS

Kobe
                      Liberte (my favorite store in Japan outside of Lift)

Layer-0, LUC, Forme, PR Patterson, Frank Leder

Kobe
                      Shelter V / Shelter II

Petrosolaum (shoes), CCP, MA+, Cornelian Taurus

Comment

• dji
                        • Feb 2008

thanks gents, appreciate the advice! majority of the store list is from brand stockist info (TVA, Devoa, etc.), honestly just Lift and Isetan would probably satisfy the shopping itch so we can do more interesting things there haha.

the missus and I will in Tokyo/Kyoto/Nara/Osaka for 2 weeks from mid-November (escaping the US for the Thanksgiving period has become a regular tradition it seems).

Comment

• TriggerDiscipline
                          • Apr 2013

Originally posted by dji View Post
                          thanks gents, appreciate the advice! majority of the store list is from brand stockist info (TVA, Devoa, etc.), honestly just Lift and Isetan would probably satisfy the shopping itch so we can do more interesting things there haha.

the missus and I will in Tokyo/Kyoto/Nara/Osaka for 2 weeks from mid-November (escaping the US for the Thanksgiving period has become a regular tradition it seems).
                          I think that 24/8 would be really nice for your missus.
                          also fascinate would be nice for you.

If i were you, I would do Royal Flash/Besdrock just to see some japanese fashion and some craziness. then check out LIFT/Gullam(because its super close to lift) Isetan

and then in Osaka just take a couple of min to go to Fascinate and 24/8 if you like.

Comment

• dji
                            • Feb 2008

cheers TD. any info on 24/8? my Japanese Googling skills are not picking anything up.

Comment

• TriggerDiscipline
                              • Apr 2013

Originally posted by dji View Post
                              cheers TD. any info on 24/8? my Japanese Googling skills are not picking anything up.
                              大阪市北浜のセレクトショップ 24TH OF AUGUST。1995年に立ち上げたジュエリーブランド DETAJ のアイテムを中心にブランドの世界観に共鳴した国内外ファッションブランドを取り扱っています。毎月24日にナイトイベント 24NIGHT 開催しております。

sorry that was super vague

Comment

• dji
                                • Feb 2008

​thanks, will check it out!

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡