• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

Originally posted by syed View Post
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-12612623

Clearly I need to move to Scotland. As someone who will have to take medication for the rest of their life just to stay in remission, I wish prescription charges were cheaper. Pre-Payment Certificates are a help, but I wish there was proper help in place for people with long-term health issues. Then again I suppose when it comes to health, you are willing to pay anything.
    Amazing. They are scoffing at a $5 charge?

Move to the US, you'll be dead in no time.
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• cjbreed
      • Feb 2009

my parents pay just under $2000/month for health insurance. for 2 people
      dying and coming back gives you considerable perspective

Comment

• Faust
        kitsch killer
        • Sep 2006

I have found that a healthy lifestyle is the lowest health insurance option. I can't afford health insurance at this time.
        Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• endersgame
          • Aug 2009

i'm insured but i keep dual citizenship as backup in another country where healthcare is free.

your health is everything. i don't know how some of you walk around without it. what about a plan with a high deductible?
          Last edited by endersgame; 03-02-2011, 08:59 PM.

Comment

• AKA*NYC
            • Nov 2007

^ still costs hundreds a month. i pay, begrudgingly.
            LOVE THE SHIRST... HOW much?

Comment

• zamb
              • Nov 2006

I have no health insurance and only had briefly when I was employed full time. I never used it then.
              I from a pretty healthy family, don't drink, smoke or do any kind of drugs. I also think I have a decent diet......

I think paying these kinds of money in fear that you might need it unexpectedly is a complete ripoff......................
              I dont really worry about being sick or dying, it might sound reckless but as the old saying goes "when I reach that bridge I'll figure out how to cross it"
              “You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
              .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

• michael_kard
                • Oct 2010

Originally posted by Zenith View Post
                Actually I was looking for a question like this in the other forums. Is it possible to change usernames? I find mine sublimely stupid...
                I wouldn't mind changing (shortening) my username as well.

-

Health insurances are so weird. On one hand you've got the US (people dieing just like that because they don't have money) and on the other hand you have countries like Greece, where almost everyone has a private health insurance on top of the public one, because the latter is so ineffective and poor. I guess the best way to go is to move to Scandinavia, where paying tons of money actually gets you something.
                ENDYMA / Archival fashion & Consignment
                Helmut Lang 1986-2005 | Ann Demeulemeester | Raf Simons | Burberry Prorsum | and more...

Comment

• Sombre
                  • Jan 2009

Originally posted by zamb View Post
                  I think paying these kinds of money in fear that you might need it unexpectedly is a complete ripoff......................
                  I dont really worry about being sick or dying, it might sound reckless but as the old saying goes "when I reach that bridge I'll figure out how to cross it"
                  I've actually been thinking about this lately, and I completely agree. You're giving these companies money for a service they have yet to provide, and may never provide. Then once they provide that service, they want to charge you more because their "analysis" claims that suddenly you're too risky for your current rate (maybe not health insurance, but certainly for other types of insurance). Essentially you pay a baseline fee for never needing their services, then once you do, you have to pay more. So what exactly does this baseline fee cover? And in some cases they can drop you or refuse to insure you because they won't profit enough from you (WTF?).

I'm not saying, "don't have insurance." If I cross the street tomorrow and get flattened by a bus, I don't have the money to pay the astronomically high bills that will result. But I do think the very premise on which insurance companies operate should be revisited.
                  An artist is not paid for his labor, but for his vision. - James Whistler

Originally posted by BBSCCP
                  I order 1 in every size, please, for every occasion

Comment

• nictan
                    • Jul 2009

I have no health insurance and only had briefly when I was employed full time. I never used it then.
                    I from a pretty healthy family, don't drink, smoke or do any kind of drugs. I also think I have a decent diet......

I dont really worry about being sick or dying,
                    it might sound reckless but as the old saying goes "when I reach that bridge I'll figure out how to cross it"
                    yea not worrying about being sick or dying is one thing. being sick and dying when your family depends on you is another. i wouldnt mind dying when im old and my kids can take care of themselves. imagine if one were to get sick when the kids are young.

my gf's grandma is currently bedridden due to a stroke. didnt have insurance of any kind. draining away money daily. hospital fees, home-nurse, medication, weekly checkups. her kids are all grownups, (my gf's mum). of course, if she recovers, it'll all be worth it. in a middle to well-to-do family, these expenses are manageable. but in lower income families, you'll be a significant burden to your kids.

insurance isnt about yourself. its thinking about the people around you.

oh well, but then again, the case is different over here. hospitalisation insurance costs around 3-400 a year. depending on age. so its considerably cheaper than in the US, and they dont come up with weird 'fine-print' to screw you over in events of a claim.

''when I reach that bridge I'll figure out how to cross it"
                    when you reach that bridge, you will be in no health/position to figure out how to cross it. the people around you will have to do that for you.

i dont advocate all kinds of insurance, but the bare minimum is required IMO.
                    Last edited by nictan; 03-03-2011, 01:00 AM. Reason: spellinggggg

Comment

• gnow
                      • Jun 2010

^ ill just like to say, that is a very good post.

Comment

• endersgame
                        • Aug 2009

my mom died when i was in my teens. she was a single mom with mortgage payments and some debt. she did everything right...had private health insurance, multiple life insurance policies, but she didn't get mortgage insurance. so even though i was the only beneficiary to the estate, i had to pay off the mortgage which i could not do on my own back then..

in the hospital, she was a vegetable. i had to make all the decisions for her. and it was a good thing she didn't survive, because i couldn't take care of her myself or afford nursing 24/7.

even if you are able to make your own decisions when the time comes, without insurance, your family will still have to pick up the bill. hospital, medical, nursing, funeral, cc bills, mortgage, business obligations, estate taxes, it just goes on forever..

if you have no family, insurance is optional. if you have kids, insurance should be mandatory.

sorry for the morbid psa 7am in the morning, lol..

Comment

• Fade to Black
                          • Sep 2008

nah not morbid at all, my mom has insurance, my dad doesn't, the latter part is one of the most regretful things in the family.
                          www.matthewhk.net

let me show you a few thangs

Comment

• Faust
                            kitsch killer
                            • Sep 2006

Originally posted by nictan View Post
                            yea not worrying about being sick or dying is one thing. being sick and dying when your family depends on you is another. i wouldnt mind dying when im old and my kids can take care of themselves. imagine if one were to get sick when the kids are young.

my gf's grandma is currently bedridden due to a stroke. didnt have insurance of any kind. draining away money daily. hospital fees, home-nurse, medication, weekly checkups. her kids are all grownups, (my gf's mum). of course, if she recovers, it'll all be worth it. in a middle to well-to-do family, these expenses are manageable. but in lower income families, you'll be a significant burden to your kids.

insurance isnt about yourself. its thinking about the people around you.

oh well, but then again, the case is different over here. hospitalisation insurance costs around 3-400 a year. depending on age. so its considerably cheaper than in the US, and they dont come up with weird 'fine-print' to screw you over in events of a claim.

when you reach that bridge, you will be in no health/position to figure out how to cross it. the people around you will have to do that for you.

i dont advocate all kinds of insurance, but the bare minimum is required IMO.
                            Having insurance is not the question here. Being able to afford one is. We in the US are fucking barbarians for not having universal health insurance in the 21st Century. Fuck you, Republicans, and fuck you, stupid bible belt rednecks and rich callous assholes who vote for them.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• nictan
                              • Jul 2009

yea, which is why i mentioned that the case is probably different over here. but my point is. ive seen, and im sure most of you have too, how an illness can screw a person's life, and his/her family's life all around. of course, if you have some form of 'emergency fund' to tap on, thats an alternative as well.

Comment

• nictan
                                • Jul 2009

ive got a question i really need help from european members on here.

if i were to stay in Geneva/Lausanne, which city will be more convenient in terms on transport around Europe? (by plane, TGV, eurostar). im assuming Geneva since its a bigger city and should have more transport services passing through it.

i dont want to go to one city, and end up having to always transfer at the other when im travelling.

thanks in advance

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎