X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • FootlooseSF
    • Nov 2006

Re: What are you listening to?

[quote user=&quot;deuxmille&quot;]Charlie Haden - Montreal Tapes[/quote]</p>

Good choice! I&#39;ve been listening to Charli Haden - Nocturne. I&#39;t so good!</p>

Comment

• xcoldricex
      • Sep 2006

ok.. so i&#39;ve been out of the indie/rock loop for awhile, it was a combination of things starting to bore me and me finding other music. anyone have any newish must listen to albums to recommend?</p>

nicole willis &amp; the soul investigators | keep reachin&#39; up
      60&#39;s soul/funk (from 2005 though)
      </p>

</p>

Comment

• Servo2000
        • Oct 2006

Just finished listening to the album like five minutes ago:<div><br class="khtml-block-placeholder" /><div>Smog - Dongs of Sevotion (lo-fi personal indie rock. Stand out track(s): &quot;Justice Aversion&quot; &quot;Nineteen&quot;)</div><div><br class="khtml-block-placeholder" /></div><div>Smog is great, but weird. If you&#39;re looking for more immediate satisfaction, I highly suggest the following band.</div><div><br class="khtml-block-placeholder" /></div><div>Now:</div><div><br class="khtml-block-placeholder" /></div><div>Serena Maneesh - Serena Maneesh (Shoe-gazer meets rock/metal? stand out track(s): &quot;Un Deux&quot; for poppy goodness, &quot;Your Blood in Mine&quot; slow-building explosion)</div><div><br class="khtml-block-placeholder" /></div><div>Favorite song right now: Animal Collective - &quot;Hey Light&quot; (from Here Comes the Indian)</div><div><br class="khtml-block-placeholder" /></div><div>My genre classifications suck, I don&#39;t know what to call stuff anymore.</div></div>
        WTB: Rick Owens Padded MA-1 Bomber XS (LIMO / MOUNTAIN)

Comment

• minya
          • Nov 2006

[quote user=&quot;xcoldricex&quot;]

ok.. so i&#39;ve been out of the indie/rock loop for awhile, it was a combination of things starting to bore me and me finding other music. anyone have any newish must listen to albums to recommend?[/quote]</p>

Grails - Black Tar Prophecies Vol. 1-3 (the most exciting rock-ish music I&#39;ve heard in years... not even sure what to call it; post-post-rock? Grails used to be a stereotypical climax-y post-rock band but then the violinist went homeless and disappeared... so they wrote this album. it&#39;s rock, I guess, but it sounds quite unique. probably my favorite of 2006.)
          </p>

Boris - Akuma no Uta (Boris&#39; best album -- a brisk 45 minute blaze-through of all their musical approaches: drone/experimental, punk, stoner rock, crushingly slow metal, all twinged by psychedelic and prog overtones...)
          </p>

Broken Social Scene - You Forgot It In People (not new, but dunno if you&#39;ve heard it? this is the best indie album of the decade, basically. it&#39;s literally perfect -- not a single bad song on it. this album is insanely accessible and poppy -- nobody I&#39;ve played this album for hasn&#39;t loved it.)
          </p>

Circle - Pori (modern Krautrock by the most diverse and genre-spasmodic band in the world -- from Finland. crucial. their easiest and most accessible album, it&#39;s still one of my favorites.)
          </p>

Pharaoh Overlord - #1 &amp; #2 (the boys from Circle downtune their guitars, crank up the distortion, and play the same damn shit over and over and over. if you absolutely love repetitive music [provided it is done well] then these two albums will give you an orgasm. suffice it to say this stuff was made for marijuana)
          </p>

Larsen - Play (italian post-rock band that oddly enough, decided to &quot;cover&quot; Autechre... and produced this album as a result. Only one song could be described as a true Autechre &quot;cover&quot;; the rest is unbelievably emotive, melancholy droning post-rock that was my #1 of 2005. produced by Michael Gira.)
          </p>

I think you&#39;d like all of the above. Or at least find them worth listening to.</p>

Comment

• xcoldricex
            • Sep 2006

yeah i know BSS. i just missed a show they played here... oops.</p>

i&#39;ll check the stuff out- haha i&#39;m going to take the thread to a new low - listening to detroit homegrown ghettotech (which happens to be gaining worldwide acclaim funnily enough)

</p>

Comment

• Servo2000
              • Oct 2006

I think I&#39;d bring it to an even lower low if I told you that I just listened to Totally Stupid by Andrew W.K.<div><br class="khtml-block-placeholder" /></div><div>oh damn I said it aloud</div><div><br class="khtml-block-placeholder" /></div><div>(seriously, he had the most absurd / fun live show that I&#39;ve just about ever been to, though)</div>

Comment

• minya
                • Nov 2006

ASS, TITTIES, ASS &#39;N TITTIES</p>

</p>

i&#39;m guessing that holds special meaning for you, coldrice. ;) </p>

Comment

• onemancult
                  • Dec 2006

ghettotech, detroit club, chicago juke - i love all that stuff. it is impossible not to
                  like something that repetitive and oversexed. it basically fucks itself into your brain.

as for Andrew W.K., I kinda like the guy. At the very least, for all his involvement in the
                  noise scene. And, I Get Wet is still fun to listen to.

Comment

• macuser3of5
                    • Sep 2006

Ryoji Ikeda, Time/Space. Helps with the insomnia. [:P]

Comment

• deuxmille
                      • Nov 2006

<div><span class="Apple-style-span" style="font-family: Lucida Grande; font-size: 11px">(Archive) Boris Volume 1 &quot;Live 96-98&quot;-Boris</span></div>

Comment

• Fuuma
                        • Sep 2006

[quote user=&quot;minya&quot;]

ASS, TITTIES, ASS &#39;N TITTIES</p>

</p>

i&#39;m guessing that holds special meaning for you, coldrice. ;) </p>

[/quote]</p>

</p>

That&#39;s DJAssault!! I had some stuff by him and other getto telkers for years, haven&#39;t listened to it recently. Good to get that party going.</p>
                        Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
                        http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Comment

• xcoldricex
                          • Sep 2006

haha i grew up on ghettotech/juke/slum house. friday/saturday nights on the radio..

Comment

• ddohnggo
                            • Oct 2006

i&#39;m kinda surprised that there are so many people into experimental music!
                            Did you get and like the larger dick?

Comment

• Servo2000
                              • Oct 2006

Today&#39;s Album:<div><br class="khtml-block-placeholder" /></div><div>Guided by Voices - Bee Thousand (Lo-fi garage pop with a healthy dose of oddness)</div><div><br class="khtml-block-placeholder" /></div><div>Today&#39;s Song:</div><div><br class="khtml-block-placeholder" /></div><div>John Fahey - In Christ there is no East or West (from The Great Santa Barbara Oil Spill. Emotive fingerpicked guitar)</div>

Comment

• minomni
                                • Oct 2006

m&uacute;m - summer make good</p>

clap your hands say yeah - self titled [recommended!]: unique indie rock sound, referential perhaps to talking heads.
                                </p>

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎