X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • uL7iMa
    • Oct 2010

Originally posted by theetruscan View Post
    Also, the ads that pop up over google maps now, as my phone takes 20-30 minutes to get a GPS signal, are beyond the pale. I don't think any single decision has made me as angry at a tech company as this one.
    :o I wasn't aware that google placed ads into google maps! Is this across the board for both iOS and Android?

Yes the size worries me a bit, but having a large screen makes a lot of difference, especially when browsing!

Comment

• theetruscan
      • Jan 2008

Originally posted by uL7iMa View Post
      :o I wasn't aware that google placed ads into google maps! Is this across the board for both iOS and Android?
      No, iOS uses the google maps api, but is an apple developed* program that has no ads. On Android, I get crappy matching ads delaying my failed attempts to actually use the piece of shit phone. Ralph Lauren Rugby gets flashed around the screen whenever I start to type restaurants because it matches the 'r'. Thanks google.\

* as I understand it.
      Hobo: We all dress up. We all put on our armour before we walk out the door, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that we’re trying to be someone else.

Comment

• Patroklus
        Banned
        • Feb 2011

I don't get map ads. Probably related to your build of Android.

Much like Windows, Android is the superior OS being held back by the fact that any jackass can license it and fill it with bloatware.

Comment

• theetruscan
          • Jan 2008

No, it's not. Android has potential, but the OS itself is really not there yet. There are many issues with it, but the real issue seems to be that the team working on UI is not as good as the team doing so on iOS.

The idea that Windows is somehow the best OS out there, held black only by bloatware is hilarious. Windows stock installs are nearly as crap as Windows installs with some bloatware.

I don't know where to start, or why I would bother.
          Hobo: We all dress up. We all put on our armour before we walk out the door, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that we’re trying to be someone else.

Comment

• lowrey
            ventiundici
            • Dec 2006

never seen ads on Maps either.

also 20-30 minutes for GPS signal sounds like a hardware issue or some sort of a corrupt install. I've always gotten a signal almost instantly after turning GPS on when outside.
            "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• Patroklus
              Banned
              • Feb 2011

Originally posted by theetruscan View Post
              No, it's not. Android has potential, but the OS itself is really not there yet. There are many issues with it, but the real issue seems to be that the team working on UI is not as good as the team doing so on iOS.
              you... do realize that Android is not the product of a single team?

The idea that Windows is somehow the best OS out there, held black only by bloatware is hilarious.
              That's not precisely what I meant. There's definitely better OSes for power users.

I don't know where to start, or why I would bother.

Comment

• uL7iMa
                • Oct 2010

the difference between Android and iOS is mainly that android is highly fragmented due to its open source nature...

That aside, I ordered my Galaxy Nexus, can' wait for Monday!

Comment

• theetruscan
                  • Jan 2008

Originally posted by Patroklus View Post
                  you... do realize that Android is not the product of a single team?
                  Yep, I've looked at it, I'm familiar with the way it works, I've developed for it, and so forth. It's not the product of a single team, but the core, errr nexus, of it is in Mountain View. Android isn't the product of a single team, but the new OSes are developed at Google, run through their paces, and then released as open source.

I would also say the fragmentation appears to be more a result of the "dumbshit hardware manufacturers writing skins" than open-source. Even if Android were closed-source, but with permission to write overlays* for, you would have this problem.

* wrong word, sorry, need coffee.

Let us know how the Nexus treats you. I need a new android phone to write for, and my phone is so awful (droid charge) I'm unphased by off-contract prices.

Comment

• Faust
                    kitsch killer
                    • Sep 2006

Considering an iPad. Please take me to the RSG. I don't like having consumerist urges.

On another note - is there a way to pick a default font for a style in msft word? I don't like that it's always times new roman and I have to keep changing it every time I open a new document.
                    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Dane
                      HAMMERTIME
                      • Feb 2011

Are you using Word 2010? If so, create new document, in the "ribbon"/toolbar thing at the top, next to the word "Font" there is a little arrow pointing south-east, click that top open the full Font Menu, select preferred font from dropdown list, then click "Set As Default" button in bottom left corner.

If using older version, same drill, only Font Menu will be somewhere else...

Also, don't get an ipad until they improve the resolution, which currently looks gritty when compared to the current iphone 4/4s. Hopefully that will be perfected in the next hardware update.
                      i traded my LUC jeans + Julius belt + Neil Barrett jeans for a blamain biker jeans

Comment

• endersgame
                        • Aug 2009

anyone here experienced kindle fire?

i'm thinking of a tablet just to read stuff on the train. bigger than a smartphone and smaller than an ipad.

the price and size really sells me..
                        it could be more elegantly designed though..

Comment

• endersgame
                          • Aug 2009

little printer

Comment

• Dane
                            HAMMERTIME
                            • Feb 2011

^ so basically, a standard receipt printer...but "cute".
                            i traded my LUC jeans + Julius belt + Neil Barrett jeans for a blamain biker jeans

Comment

• munch
                              • Aug 2008

The glass multi-touch keyboard and mouse that’s been put up on Kickstarter - they don't even have to try in order to make us feel like we’ve stumbled into the

pretty cool. wouldn't want to use it due to ergonomic issues but looks neat at least!

Comment

• kompressorkev
                                • Dec 2006

Not sure this is the right place, but i'm looking for some headphone advice. Maybe there are a few audiophiles here who can help me? Or, if this question is too specific for this thread, maybe you guys can point me in the direction of some trustworthy resources?

I want to get my dad some headphones for his birthday. He listens on his iPod touch. I'm thinking Grado sr60i. My question is are there better alternatives - i.e. different companies or even different Grado models better suited (sr80i)? He's not a really serious audiophile, but appreciates good sound quality...outfitted the family room with McIntosh several years ago (i think it sounds pretty good but i know some think there's better stuff for the money). Budget is probably $150 all in.

Thanks in advance!

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎