Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 550BC
    • Jan 2013

The Moroccan youth are a pain in the ass in The Netherlands, I agree with that.. I was/am cool with many sub cultures though, like you. Very easy
    Last edited by 550BC; 07-14-2014, 05:42 AM. Reason: not necessary to share details
    a fish out of water dies

Comment

• Null12
      • Oct 2013

I actually enjoyed both Gabber / Jump when younger. Although, sadly for me I never got to experience the strange cultures as up-close and personal as I am sure some of you did. I still listen to old selections and they make me lol.
      Last edited by Null12; 07-13-2014, 07:21 PM. Reason: Let me not derail this, sorry!

Comment

• Jun 2014

How easily we profess to be against nationalism and white supremacy, yet how quickly we have problem with Dutch-Moroccans.

Comment

• 550BC
          • Jan 2013

Yet you are from NY and haven't experienced it in person.
          a fish out of water dies

Comment

• apathy!
            • Jan 2014

Originally posted by 1994 View Post
            How easily we profess to be against nationalism and white supremacy, yet how quickly we have problem with Dutch-Moroccans.
            this is ridiculous. Obviously he was generalising.

Comment

• Faust
              kitsch killer
              • Sep 2006

Originally posted by 550BC View Post
              Yet you are from NY and haven't experienced it in person.
              I've witnessed this enough while visiting multiple times in both Amsterdam and Brussels. I see what you mean.
              Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• 550BC
                • Jan 2013

glad you agree Faust! I am hearing this from a lot of people who are not living here, and come for a visit and already experience this. glad they didn't visit The Hague or Rotterdam, it's worse there...
                a fish out of water dies

Comment

• Faust
                  kitsch killer
                  • Sep 2006

The troubling rise of the right wing nationalists in a country that's been historically tolerant is a telling sign as well. You can't blame it all on socioeconomic conditions - there are cultural differences as well (especially the way women are treated). I know, sound like some conservative nutcase, but it's realpolitik.
                  Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Fuuma
                    • Sep 2006

Those immigrants and their stupid tracksuits are just asking for the rise of the extreme right!!!

Except that:
                    1) Extreme right has known it's greatest recent success in countries with low immigration rate/% of immigrants (think Switzerland, Eastern Europe), there are exceptions but
                    2) Insatisfaction with European Union policies, the state of the economy and that most social of factor, supposed cultural decadence, drove the latest push.
                    3) BTW Netherlands has less than 9% of their people born outside the EU and less than 2.5% people of Moroccan origin.
                    Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
                    http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Comment

• Fuuma
                      • Sep 2006

On to a more interesting topic: the current fashion trend of skinhead styles (MA-1, shaved heads, black with docs etc), gabba style (ok, similar but more sportswear) and urban youth style (tracksuits, Nike Air Max TN). I honestly think that you need to look not further than gay subcultures and their fascination with hyper-masculine subgroups that hate them. Passing as "straight" or "normal" was a basic survival skill in that milieu and has remained somewhat present in the way certain members of gay subcultures like to adopt the trappings of "oppressor" or rival groups. I hear that there are a lot of them queers in the fashion world, probably just a rumor but still...
                      Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
                      http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Comment

• nqth
                        • Sep 2006

thank you for the answers to my questions (and for the other posts as well).

When I came back to Hanoi, I found it was quite disturbing that people didn't pay attentions to references attached to clothes. We Vietnamese still don't care if the stuffs we wear are punk or goth and we mix all these things, based on what we like visually and/or maybe within the choices of clothes we have. But now I think ignorance is liberating. Now we know that some people just don't follow the (original/western/from other cultures) meanings of the clothes. Perhaps it could open some possibilities for new meanings to be made?

I think it's cool that Gosha has managed to sell Soviet skate and sport style in the West. Here is a guy who took sort of Western idea of clothing, made it his own and succeeded in selling it in the West. What I think I am not comfortable with might be that he promoted the clothes with his video and artworks that suggested authenticity. So the "true" value lay not in designing the clothes, but in the life of "his people". I think it'd be OK if he faked it as it'd be just business as other business.

I read somewhere that fashion always makes pastiche of time. So perhaps it is also applicable to subcultures? It will never be "authentic fashion" and only few people will find pleasures in finding the original meanings of the clothes/style? The other might be more interested in creating new?

Comment

• Shucks
                          • Aug 2010

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                          I've witnessed this enough while visiting multiple times in both Amsterdam and Brussels. I see what you mean.
                          thing is, it's not easy getting a job being young and of moroccan origin, in a post-colonial little country like belgium with its long proud history of racism both at home and abroad. (and yes i lived there.)

the fuck else is an unemployed arabic kid supposed to do with his time then, than to hang out on the street being angry...?

and yes, i live in an area full of these problems. i do get annoyed when my well-ordered life is disturbed by troubled immigrant youths, but then i remember that their situation is a hundred times worse than mine. it only makes sense that some of their frustration is taken out on me, who - in their eyes - have everything they don't.

next time somebody hassles you on the street, take a second and consider the basics of social injustice and structural racism. direct your anger at the systems behind those instead.
                          Last edited by Shucks; 07-16-2014, 10:39 AM.

Comment

• Faust
                            kitsch killer
                            • Sep 2006

I am well aware of social injustice and racism, being an immigrant myself. But you are being blind if you choose to close your eyes to cultural differences as well that are instilled by parents, religion, peers, and so on.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Shucks
                              • Aug 2010

the racism of belgium (and holland) should not be underestimated as a root cause of why cultures clash rather than diffuse in these societies. ghettofication happens in these countries (and where i live now) because immigrants aren't welcome into the society - they are too 'different' and too 'difficult'.

how are you supposed to be able to adopt any new cultural traits which you are never given any real access to? if there is no other option, of course you cling to the only identity you know.

Comment

• j100000
                                • May 2014

Originally posted by apathy! View Post
                                obviously you guys have never been to Australia...
                                was about to say the same thing LOL everyone wants to be the next zzyz

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎