its the gift that keeps on giving.

"don't worry i'll protect you oh shit you're on your own bitch...."

"screw you guys. i'm goin home"
    dying and coming back gives you considerable perspective

Comment

• perplexe
      • May 2010

Originally posted by merz
      with the 'bro conga line' probably being the best one.

What about the sista conga line?

And the possible shitting of pants..

Comment

• Chinorlz
        • Sep 2006

pic0046 by Nightmares Fear Factory, on Flickr

The girl in the back.... this one actually made me cough on my coffee
        www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• trentk
          • Oct 2010

fuck this. I wear turtlenecks all the time, and now I hear gq's heavily promoting the item. Hopefully the streets of manhattan don't suddenly fill with drones rocking my (formerly uncommon?) favorite piece.
          "He described this initial impetus as like discovering that they both were looking at the same intriguing specific tropical fish, with attempts to understand it leading to a huge ferocious formalism he characterizes as a shark that leapt out of the tank."

Comment

• Ivans On High
            Banned
            • Oct 2008

“That’s what I wear,” Jobs told Isaacson as he opened his closet to reveal a stack of black turtlenecks made for him by Miyake. “I have enough to last for the rest of my life.”

Comment

• trentk
              • Oct 2010

uncommon among NYC college students, large swatches of which may unfortunately be herdlike enough to buy a turtleneck if gq tells them to.
              "He described this initial impetus as like discovering that they both were looking at the same intriguing specific tropical fish, with attempts to understand it leading to a huge ferocious formalism he characterizes as a shark that leapt out of the tank."

Comment

• genevieveryoko
                • Sep 2009

trentk, don't worry about it. what you see as a passing trend will inevitably be...a passing trend. soon enough, you will be able to go back to being 'uncommon' you

somewhat related, a friend of a friend told me that the day that she decided she never wanted to go to college was the day that she first saw NYU students wearing pajamas out and about in Manhatttan
                http://genevievelarson.tumblr.com/

Comment

• trentk
                  • Oct 2010

Originally posted by genevieveryoko View Post
                  trentk, don't worry about it. what you see as a passing trend will inevitably be...a passing trend. soon enough, you will be able to go back to being 'uncommon' you
                  funny you say that, b/c a year or so ago, I would've facepalmed if I heard someone whining about their favorite item suddenly becoming trendy. I thought such factors were irrelevant, if one actually liked the garment for what it was rather than for what it was rather than say, social factors attached to it. I thought that type of whining evinced a "fake" "superficial" interest in the garment.

But, its very hard to prove that qualities are located in objects, and not merely constructed (technically, we can't even say a color is a property of the object, only the wavelength).... so now I take a less radical stance, and sympathize when people whine about things becoming popular, b/c I think these factors are relevant.

Originally posted by genevieveryoko View Post
                  somewhat related, a friend of a friend told me that the day that she decided she never wanted to go to college was the day that she first saw NYU students wearing pajamas out and about in Manhatttan

believe it or not, NYU students are remarkably well dressed compared to those at most colleges.

Comment

• genevieveryoko
                    • Sep 2009

also constructed in the modern mind is the notion of 'timeless' styles, and the idea of 'staple' garments, that exist somewhat outside of the trend system (but of course aren't totally immune to it)

how did you come to be drawn to the turtleneck?

(i'm very tired, forgive me for egging you on...i just couldn't resist)
                    http://genevievelarson.tumblr.com/

Comment

• trentk
                      • Oct 2010

About trends and garments: loosely speaking, my concept of clothing is a semiotic exercise mapping (signifieds) your personal interests, character, identity etc... to their external, visceral, manifestations (signifiers, clothes). So, I consider a garment timeless when it refers to an aspect of your character that sticks with you for a long time. Of course, this is tricky, b/c even if you have some quality that remains relatively fixed, culture can recontextualize garments to refer to different things. So, you need to search for another signifier.

really though, this is just a process that I go through in an attempt to figure out why I like the garments I do. the attraction is visceral - "does it look sick as fuck?"

concerning turtlenecks: part of it is b/c I think my faceshape looks best when my neck is slightly shadowy. dark turtlenecks have a similar effect. I also like how turtlenecks allow you to keep a clean scarfless silhouette in the winter. I like the minimalistic elegance of a turtleneck, and how it places the face on a pedestal, as if its a sculpture. Skiing is a huge part of my life, I learned when I was 18months old and was cliffjumping in the backcountry as early as 10. So, I'm naturally drawn to garments that reference skiwear. Skiwear is also part of my attraction to CCP's exoskeleton-like garments.

Comment

• marsa
                        • Feb 2011

Originally posted by trentk View Post
                        About trends and garments: loosely speaking,....culture can recontextualize garments to refer to different things. So, you need to search for another signifier....
                        agree.

the core basis of "fashion" lies in the the intangeble value given by its context - a recontextualized meaning however - may change its signification - but leaves the tangible presense unchanged.

Comment

• Faust
                          kitsch killer
                          • Sep 2006

Originally posted by trentk View Post
                          fuck this. I wear turtlenecks all the time, and now I hear gq's heavily promoting the item. Hopefully the streets of manhattan don't suddenly fill with drones rocking my (formerly uncommon?) favorite piece.
                          When have they not been promoting turtlenecks?
                          Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• aussy
                            • Jul 2011

Anyone watching or planning on watching 'Work of Art'?

Comment

• michael_kard
                              • Oct 2010

Are you referring to this? I lol'd when I first found out about it.
                              ENDYMA / Archival fashion & Consignment
                              Helmut Lang 1986-2005 | Ann Demeulemeester | Raf Simons | Burberry Prorsum | and more...

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎