Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lane
    • Aug 2010

Surrounding the police, blocking them, and demanding they release people who broke the law has nothing to do with wall st...this was a demonstration of a bunch of people who were making demands they had no right to, not to mention they were threatening and simply giving the cops a needless dilemma. They were there only to sweep up the tents, and it escalated because of the actions the protestors took by blocking them. Not to mention why would I have sympathy for them when they were warned numerous times? If you're going to engage in this behavior you don't whine when you get the consequences of your actions.

its so awful being part of this generation. I'm not siding with wall st, what they did was just as repugnant, but all the cries are about the rich and successful, ignoring the fact that not all 1% are evil bankers oh no. Ignoring the institutions in place which allow widespread economic abuses to continually occur is what baffles me.

Comment

• Patroklus
      Banned
      • Feb 2011

That post says a lot about how aware you actually are of the OWS movement.

Comment

• theaddict
        • Apr 2008

I have to side with Lane that if you look at this case seperately from the political background, the protesters commited coercion when blocking the police. The police warned the protester several times and they were allowed reasonable force to free themselves.
        The only question would be if there would have been other methods to break the lines of protesters...
        Enviormental freaks, move away! My scarf will travel around the world and back!

Comment

• mizzar
          • Mar 2008

In the meantime
          Russia is on the verge of revolution, or not
          Second half of the video needs no translation IMO.
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezEFU...eature=related
          ____
          sorry for my bad english, i learned it from the book.

I too am inspired by homeless people when I buy a $1,000 jacket. Why don't we just shit on them? Oh, fashion, sometimes I wonder why I bother...(Faust)

Comment

• Lane
            • Aug 2010

Originally posted by theaddict View Post
            I have to side with Lane that if you look at this case seperately from the political background, the protesters commited coercion when blocking the police. The police warned the protester several times and they were allowed reasonable force to free themselves.
            The only question would be if there would have been other methods to break the lines of protesters...
            not only that, but the police were there to remove tents so people who didn't attend the school wouldn't be camping out on school grounds. They were rightfully there, and were just doing their job.

Comment

• Faust
              kitsch killer
              • Sep 2006

Fuck all that. There is no question that the pigs used excessive force against peaceful protesters. What the fuck is this bullshit, defending the pigs using excessive force? It's because of people like you that democracy in America has been eroding.
              Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• cjbreed
                • Feb 2009

whats the point of a protest if you just get up and leave the moment the authorities ask you to?

protestor - "ma'am we are here demonstrating to raise awareness of injustice and inequality in america."

lady that doesn't like protestors - "thats nice but you are inconveniencing me"

protestor - "oh, my apologies let me just get up and head on home. i can't imagine what i must have been thinking lol.."

no offense lane but based on that post its obvious you really have no idea what the ows movement is all about.
                dying and coming back gives you considerable perspective

Comment

• lowrey
                  ventiundici
                  • Dec 2006

Even if the protesters were wrong for blocking the police, spraying them execution style while sitting down is way over the top.

Originally posted by Lane View Post
                  not to mention they were threatening and simply giving the cops a needless dilemma.
                  The dilemma of excessive force? Do you know what pepper spray is intended for? To take down suspects resisting arrest without killing them, or when a police officer is assaulted or in clear danger and there is no other way out of it. It's basically a step down from shooting someone with a firearm, not something you spray on people to take out your frustration or show off who is in charge, which this seemed like.

Had the police attempted to move the people away with force or arrest them unsuccesfully, or had they been under any sort of attack, it would be a different case, but I don't see any of the protesters getting physical.
                  "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• Lane
                    • Aug 2010

I guess, but the school wanted the tents removed for a good reason. Is the school now to provide grounds for people who don't go to the school? This is what I was referring to concerning dilemma:

"The group that set this up was not UC Davis students," she said. "They had individuals that were not affiliated with the campus. The police were called for nothing else but a very peaceful dismantling of the equipment...They were not supposed to use force.They were not supposed to limit the students from having the rally, from congregating to express their anger and frustration."

The incident at Berkeley is under review, Bennett said, declining to discuss specifics. But officers used their batons because "the crowd behavior at that moment was not a simple peaceful linking of arms. It was active resistance, where the crowd was pushing against police and acting in a non-peaceful manner.
                    I guess you're right since the pepper spray is used under level 5.
                    Last edited by Lane; 12-06-2011, 02:53 PM.

Comment

• lowrey
                      ventiundici
                      • Dec 2006

Originally posted by Lane View Post
                      The incident at Berkeley is under review, Bennett said, declining to discuss specifics. But officers used their batons because "the crowd behavior at that moment was not a simple peaceful linking of arms. It was active resistance, where the crowd was pushing against police and acting in a non-peaceful manner.

I guess you're right since the pepper spray is used under level 5.
                      I don't see the crowd pushing the police in these videos. they were sitting down at the time of the spraying.

Also, I keep hearing that they were there to remove a few tents and people. If thats the case, 50 cops in riot gear also seem a bit over the top.
                      "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• theaddict
                        • Apr 2008

It would be not excessive if less harmful means would be as effective as the pepper spray.
                        So if we would assume that breaking the lines by force would not lead to more harm, then this might be excessive. I am just not sure if this would not have led to even more severe injuries.
                        If the group of students would have been mixed with potential (non political) violent people who did not belong to the protest movement, there would have been the risk that people get even more hurt. We have a similar major problem every year in Berlin during the 1st of May protests when people from the Black Block mingle with "regular" demonstrants and hide between them to throw rocks on police forces.

Admittedly in the scenario at hand there is not much mingling going on and the crowd is overseeable. Therefore the applied force might be excessive.
                        Enviormental freaks, move away! My scarf will travel around the world and back!

Comment

• copacetic
                          • Nov 2010

lane = troll.

let's say that you take a look at the history of non-violent protest in the united states. we can even narrow it down to 1900-present.

looking at the history of non-violent protest, if you feel like you'd rather side, in a general sense, with police over protesters, then you either don't know anything about history, or maybe you just happen to be a racist/bigot/chauvinist/etc.

the lame technicalities about whether they had permission to camp out in tents, etc., are pieces of recent legislation. it's a nickle and dime'ing of civil rights--a way of controlling a population and restricting speech that on the surface seems rational, harmless, prudent, etc. when it is in fact authoritarian.
                          And "When the prince has gathered about him
                          "All the savants and artists, his riches will be fully employed."

Canto XIII, Ezra Pound

Comment

• Chant
                            Banned
                            • Jun 2008

Originally posted by copacetic View Post
                            lane = troll.
                            Lane = Lame.

Fuuma taking a ride

Comment

• several_girls
                              • Nov 2010

I find it absurd that unlimited financial corporate donations to political campaigns are protected as a form of free speech but occupying a given area to raise awareness of an issue isn't.

Comment

• comedyzen
                                • May 2009

2012 Pirelli Calendar

Even though it is quite an exquisite calendar, this may be NSFW. I hope to one day open the mailbox and find this waiting for me.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎