X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

The L'Artisan Perfumer rose perfume is very nice. My girlfriend uses it, so I may be biased.
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Dane
      HAMMERTIME
      • Feb 2011

The L'Artisan to which Faust refers is Voleur de Rose (they have another rose which is a girly violet-combo...also very good, but not what you're looking for). VdR is heavier on the patchouli than the rose.

The most recent example of a rose-patchouli combo would be Portrait of a Lady by Frederic Malle. This one is heavier on the rose.

If you want something a bit trashier, Mugler's Angel La Rose is a terrific scent, but is still Angel underneath, which some have a hard time digesting.
      i traded my LUC jeans + Julius belt + Neil Barrett jeans for a blamain biker jeans

Comment

• rider
        eyes of the world
        • Jun 2009

hi dane,
        i'm curious...what is your impression of surge lutens fragrances?
        any favorites?
        i had some samples sent to me of:
        ambre sultan
        chergui
        datora noir

so far the chergui is my favorite.

Comment

• mrbeuys
          • May 2008

Originally posted by Dane View Post
          Perfumes smell the same on everyone.
          Huh? Really?
          Hi. I like your necklace. - It's actually a rape whistle, but the whistle part fell off.

Comment

• rider
            eyes of the world
            • Jun 2009

funny, i just read that too. i would have thought otherwise based on skin chemistry but now that dane said it, i'm inclined to believe it.

Comment

• Verdandi
              • Mar 2012

Originally posted by Dane View Post
              The L'Artisan to which Faust refers is Voleur de Rose (they have another rose which is a girly violet-combo...also very good, but not what you're looking for). VdR is heavier on the patchouli than the rose.

The most recent example of a rose-patchouli combo would be Portrait of a Lady by Frederic Malle. This one is heavier on the rose.

If you want something a bit trashier, Mugler's Angel La Rose is a terrific scent, but is still Angel underneath, which some have a hard time digesting.
              Thank you Dane!
              I'll make sure to try these.
              I can only stomach Angel in small doses but trashy sounds good to me. I am an avid lover of trashy (not the bubblegum trash kind), big, loud and slightly 'dirty' perfumes.

Regarding the 'perfumes smell the same on everyone': I think synthetic perfumes do. If I remember it right the whole 'every perfume turns out to be something unique on different persons' was some huge marketing fraud when Chanel Number 5 was released to make the perfume more alluring to women.
              lavender menace

Comment

• Dane
                HAMMERTIME
                • Feb 2011

Originally posted by rider View Post
                hi dane,
                i'm curious...what is your impression of surge lutens fragrances?
                any favorites?
                i had some samples sent to me of:
                ambre sultan
                chergui
                datora noir

so far the chergui is my favorite.
                they're terrific, yet challenging to wear. agreed that Chergui is a stand-out. I also like Vetiver Oriental, Tubereuse Criminelle, and Bois de Violette, which all happen to be "limited editions", so may not be available at all outlets.

Originally posted by mrbeuys View Post
                Huh? Really?
                Unless you have your own overpowering smell (to the extent that it will overwhelm a perfume), yes. All this "skin chemistry" talk is bullshit.

No one has really studied this scientifically (that I'm aware of), so it's all opinion...but think about it, what would contribute to a fragrance smelling differently? An existing smell; heat (making the progression of a fragrance faster or slower); and oils (also making the progression vary).

Originally posted by Verdandi View Post
                Thank you Dane!
                I'll make sure to try these.
                I can only stomach Angel in small doses but trashy sounds good to me. I am an avid lover of trashy (not the bubblegum trash kind), big, loud and slightly 'dirty' perfumes.

Regarding the 'perfumes smell the same on everyone': I think synthetic perfumes do. If I remember it right the whole 'every perfume turns out to be something unique on different persons' was some huge marketing fraud when Chanel Number 5 was released to make the perfume more alluring to women.
                Give the Angel Rose a shot...I think you can still find samples for sale on ebay for not much money. A full bottle probably won't cost too much either if you just want to take the chance.

re: synthetic perfumes - all perfumes are synthetic...even the natural ones use "isolates", ie - linalool is found in nature, as a component of certain plants, but it doesn't exist in isolation, so it would be synthetically produced. Some natural perfumes are the real thing, but most just throw the term around for marketing, as you said.

Anyway, of course things smell differently on different people in the sense that we all perceive things differently, but I refuse to get caught up in the concept as a general rule. It's something salespeople tell you so that they don't insult you or the fragrance when you say you don't like it.

SA: "Try this one, it's new and fresh and very popular"
                Me: "it smells like crotch"
                SA: "oh dear, well, it certainly smells differently on you, must be your skin chemistry, let's try something else"
                Me: "I like the smell of crotch...I'll take it".

fin
                i traded my LUC jeans + Julius belt + Neil Barrett jeans for a blamain biker jeans

Comment

• rider
                  eyes of the world
                  • Jun 2009

dane, thanks to the wealth of knowledge you have taken the time to post, i decided to blindly try the Bois de Violette. I read a short summary about its components and found a bottle from a seller on ebay that donates to animal shelters so it was worth chancing. i am so glad i did...it starts soft, stays that way, and has a woody, forest freshness to it, not sweet or powdery at all, but earthy. i might even try to layer it with the chergui for a bolder smell.

Comment

• Dane
                    HAMMERTIME
                    • Feb 2011

Originally posted by rider View Post
                    dane, thanks to the wealth of knowledge you have taken the time to post, i decided to blindly try the Bois de Violette. I read a short summary about its components and found a bottle from a seller on ebay that donates to animal shelters so it was worth chancing. i am so glad i did...it starts soft, stays that way, and has a woody, forest freshness to it, not sweet or powdery at all, but earthy. i might even try to layer it with the chergui for a bolder smell.
                    You're very welcome. I've bought from that same seller several times...I like the cause (even if some of the stuff could be had a tad cheaper).

BdV is a strange beast. It's based on Feminite du Bois, and old Shiseido scent now in the Lutens line. The original is more floral than BdV, and not as balanced. Dior's Dolce Vita is (or once was) also very similar (same perfumer)....alas, none of them captured what the dusty violet in BdV manages to achieve.

Comment

• J_J
                      • Apr 2008

got a sample of HdP 1740 Marquis de Sade... what a gorgeous perfume. Makes me smell like sweet wine dregs.

Comment

• Dane
                        HAMMERTIME
                        • Feb 2011

Originally posted by J_J View Post
                        got a sample of HdP 1740 Marquis de Sade... what a gorgeous perfume. Makes me smell like sweet wine dregs.
                        I find it smells like prune juice. I kinda like that though.

Comment

• Verdandi
                          • Mar 2012

I came across a bottle of CDG Sticky Cake and while I liked how it started out (not toothache inducing sweet but still somewhat sweet), but it turned into something that smells a lot like men's cologne after a while. I looked up what's supposed to be in there and I suspect it is the Iris accord, which is weird because I usually like Iris.

Does anyone know if there is a fragrance with similar notes (just without the guy cologne effect) out there?
                          lavender menace

Comment

• Dane
                            HAMMERTIME
                            • Feb 2011

I came across a bottle of CDG Sticky Cake and while I liked how it started out (not toothache inducing sweet but still somewhat sweet), but it turned into something that smells a lot like men's cologne after a while. I looked up what's supposed to be in there and I suspect it is the Iris accord, which is weird because I usually like Iris.

Does anyone know if there is a fragrance with similar notes (just without the guy cologne effect) out there?
                            Where did you find the Sticky Cake? I've been looking for it for ages!

It's musk that makes it feel masculine. Other similar things you can try:
                            -Bois Farine by L'Artisan Parfumeur
                            -Bois d'Argent by Dior (not easy to find)
                            -Iris by Odori

Comment

• Verdandi
                              • Mar 2012

I found it at a thrift shop and I was so happy at first since it is the only one from the Sweet series I had not tried.

Musk? Really? That's even more weird, I love musk (big fan of MKK and Musc Ravageur and those don't smell like men to me at all). Alas must be the combination then, I really wanted to like it but it just smells too masculine to me after a while.

But thanks a lot for your recommendations, Dane!

By the way, do you happen to know anything about the new Serge Gardenia fragrance? I thought it would be out by now.
                              lavender menace

Comment

• Dane
                                HAMMERTIME
                                • Feb 2011

I found it at a thrift shop and I was so happy at first since it is the only one from the Sweet series I had not tried.

Musk? Really? That's even more weird, I love musk (big fan of MKK and Musc Ravageur and those don't smell like men to me at all). Alas must be the combination then, I really wanted to like it but it just smells too masculine to me after a while.

But thanks a lot for your recommendations, Dane!

By the way, do you happen to know anything about the new Serge Gardenia fragrance? I thought it would be out by now.
                                Musk is only an educated guess...there are literally hundreds of them, so it's hard to know which you're smelling.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Send me your Sticky Cake!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't know much about the new SL yet. They only seem to be promoting the sandalwood at the moment. Gardenia is a favourite of mine, so I'm anxiously awaiting it as well, although I doubt it could trump TF Velvet Gardenia.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎