Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • theetruscan
    • Jan 2008

I'll check it out. From the first page (I know there are five) it seems to be missing the point. I also think the same article, written after much of the recent political upheaval, would be very different. But, again, only read the first page.

I wasn't trying to attribute some amazing otherworldly significance to Twitter. I was merely noting that it has been a very effective organizing tool in quite a few countries with oppressive governments.

There are certainly limitations (it's a tool, tools only do certain things), but from a communication and (what I actually care about) security perspective, it has provided a rapid dissemination technique for information that works nearly anonymously. Because tweets can be posted via text messages from a disposable phone, the authors of organizational information can be nearly impossible to identify*. This has interesting repercussions in my opinion. I'm not into the whole "social media is XXX" discussion, I'm a computer security and privacy person, and I am primarily interested in those aspects. But, clearly, keeping organizers largely anonymous makes it much harder to shut down protest movements and the like. Obviously, it's possible; If the government is willing or able to simply kill or imprison the entire group, anonymity is worthless. And, if the government has sufficient organization and will to remove everyone who would organize before momentum builds, they have a less obvious means of controlling dissent. But the requirements to suppress dissent are more pronounced now, and I suspect this will continue to have socio-political ramifications.

The limitations of the twitter framework, and even the limitations of the twitter framework used in conjunction with TOR are pretty well understood at this point, but you get quite a lot.

* the nearly is a key word. If enough resources are committed, the disposable phone's locations can be triangulated, the people suspected of having the wherewithal to organize can be tracked, and found. But this is a slow, resource-intensive process. It requires quite a bit of time and money for each bit of tracking.
    Hobo: We all dress up. We all put on our armour before we walk out the door, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that we’re trying to be someone else.

Comment

• cjbreed
      • Feb 2009

Originally posted by laughed View Post

sup.

a cool likable guy.

but i think my man is about to propose a tax hike tho.

faust u didn't ruffle my feathers. i felt the essay was misunderstood but thats all. initially i posted those paragraphs because i liked them. its not the best essay but i liked those parts. that wasn't even the best essay i read that day. thanks in no small part to this amazing site that severely kills my productivity every day

the new shelton wet/dry

dying and coming back gives you considerable perspective

Comment

• theetruscan
        • Jan 2008

Originally posted by cjbreed View Post
        but i think my man is about to propose a tax hike tho.
        About fucking time.
        Hobo: We all dress up. We all put on our armour before we walk out the door, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that we’re trying to be someone else.

Comment

• Faust
          kitsch killer
          • Sep 2006

A tax hike - dream on. Who controls the house, controls the future, who controls the future...

A NYT headline summary:

"JERUSALEM — A planned meeting between Justin Bieber and Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu of Israel was called off."
          Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• munch
            • Aug 2008

I feel like moving somewhere. where should I move?

Comment

• cjbreed
              • Feb 2009

i heard cleveland was nice....
              no..wait. detroit! detroit!
              dying and coming back gives you considerable perspective

Comment

• munch
                • Aug 2008

Originally posted by cjbreed View Post
                i heard cleveland was nice....
                no..wait. detroit! detroit!
                oh yeah detroit rock city. I love rocks!

Comment

• laughed
                  • Jul 2009

cleveland all day. not even a question. if you want warmer weather - hop a plane to Orlando - or any part of Florida...My dream destination I must say is Arizona. What a state.

Comment

• munch
                    • Aug 2008

yeah I have a cool song about Arizona, gotta be a great state.
                    anyway, is there anything fun to do in Switzerland? looks like a nice country but I can't say I know anything about it

Comment

• Lane
                      • Aug 2010

Originally posted by theetruscan View Post
                      About fucking time.
                      coupled with more money printing!

Comment

• Faust
                        kitsch killer
                        • Sep 2006

Originally posted by laughed View Post
                        cleveland all day. not even a question. if you want warmer weather - hop a plane to Orlando - or any part of Florida...My dream destination I must say is Arizona. What a state.
                        They do love them immigrants down there!
                        Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
                          kitsch killer
                          • Sep 2006

Originally posted by munch View Post
                          yeah I have a cool song about Arizona, gotta be a great state.
                          anyway, is there anything fun to do in Switzerland? looks like a nice country but I can't say I know anything about it
                          No firsthand experience, but sounds as boring as it is gorgeous.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• munch
                            • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                            No firsthand experience, but sounds as boring as it is gorgeous.
                            yeah that's kind of how I see it too... me and some friends are planning a trip around Europe, kind of considering Switzerland just because it's so beautiful... but we'll have to see where our wallets can take us.

although about that moving thing.. I really do feel like just packing my bags and leave somewhere, to study or whatever. is it really stupid to go to Vancouver for 2 years of College and then apply for University somewhere? would I even be able to apply to European Universities with the grades I could get there? haha I have no idea really, I hope I can make something useful out of this. no idea why Vancouver though, seems like a cool city...

Comment

• interest1
                              • Nov 2008

Originally posted by jogu View Post

i live a few mins from there and i fuckin HAAAAAATE trekkin thru there an hour before and after a game . theres a shitload of idiots usually drunk and obnoxious and the girls are often worse than the guys when they been drinkin . once was walkin by there and some blonde pud was standin on the corner by cubby bear actin like a twat and hardcore drunk . friend shook his head and she saw him do that ... whewwww boy that was it she went into a rage like yellin at him. we just crossed the street to mickey d's, got my sundae and her ass was still there bein belligerent[/B] to people. god i wanted to smash her face thru the metal wall of an rv like friday the 13th jason lives. otherwise its a nice area and theres alot of decent places to eat, alot of pubs also but theyre all preppy as hale :( noooo maam
                              LMAO, I love this story & how you tell it. I can totally see that ice cream sundae from McDonalds clenched firmly in one hand while doing the said smashing of the face with the other. I find that oddly adorable.

I don't eat their food, but god do I love their soft serve ice cream.
                              You won't catch me dead inside a McDonalds here in NYC (that shit's a whole different animal here, my friend), but every time I go back home to the West Coast, at some point I'm rollin' thru their damned drive-thru to get my fix haha (windows tinted, y'know)

Speaking of smashing faces with metal, here's my contribution:
                              (you'll have to click twice to go straight to youtube to see it)

I woke up to that this morning. It was better than coffee.
                              sain't

Comment

• BECOMING-INTENSE
                                • Jan 2008

Claudia Cardinale during filming ...

Are you afraid of women, Doctor?
                                Of course.

www.becomingmads.com

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀