Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • casem
    • Sep 2006

For alcoholic, a Caipirinha is my summer drink of choice.

And for non-alcoholic, can't get enough

Originally posted by Eternal
    Any suggestions of what to drink in the hot weather (besides Hoegaarden)?
    music

Comment

• stereophobic
      • Aug 2009

^ I'd make more caipirinhas at home if I could find cachaca that isn't 51 in Sydney. Any ideas on what brand of cachaca would be great? People keep telling me 51 is like... the worst out there.
      An object in possession seldom retains the same charm that it had in pursuit.

Comment

• cmitso412
        • Feb 2010

edit: sorry about the size, I tried to resize it on photobucket but it won't let me for some reason. I will take it down if the size bothers people.

Comment

• Farkhanyassin
          • Jan 2010

I remember being in Paris walking by the Champs Elysees and going to a Pizzeria. I don't quite remember where it is, but I think it was a block down from Laduree. Anyways, I'm a meat person and this place had gorgeous Steak and Fries. It was simple, but it was good.

I always go to Relais L'Entrecote without fail whenever I am in the cities which have the restaurant. To me, it is my favourite restaurant. The ambience, the food, the people, the Profiteroles (yum!).

This was at the one in Geneva

MOSLEM PRIEST

Comment

• ProfMonnitoff
            • Jan 2007

Originally posted by casem83 View Post
            And for non-alcoholic, can't get enough[xIMG]http://media.canada.com/07594e89-b6a2-4c43-823c-507cf9085fdd/0328-foodbox-orangina.jpg[/IMG]
            Orangina is the best! The waitrose near me stopped carrying the little glass bottles, and it just doesn't taste the same from a can/plastic bottle, plus the 200ml or whatever is in there was the perfect amount.
            Originally posted by jogu
            i went out to take garbage out and froze my tits runnin down stairs , think im gonna chill at home tonite . hungry tho anyone have cool ideas on what to order for supper , not pizza tho sick of pizza

Comment

• Raw
              • Oct 2009

Fark, that steak doesn't look gorgeous to me. It's way too thin no?

Comment

• Farkhanyassin
                • Jan 2010

Well it tasted great and that was all that mattered, and it was relatively cheap too. Of course you can't really compare to some of the more juicier rib eyes or Filet Mignons that other restaurants have to offer, but it was a very good. A very good Bar Steak
                MOSLEM PRIEST

Comment

• ProfMonnitoff
                  • Jan 2007

Macarons from Konditorei Oberlaa + coffee

i went out to take garbage out and froze my tits runnin down stairs , think im gonna chill at home tonite . hungry tho anyone have cool ideas on what to order for supper , not pizza tho sick of pizza

Comment

• Chinorlz
                    • Sep 2006

Originally posted by ProfMonnitoff View Post
                    Macarons from Konditorei Oberlaa + coffee

Your fried egg images make me sad that in the US you can't get such rich looking yolks... Pale yellow here instead of the flavorful deep orange ones.
                    www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• ProfMonnitoff
                      • Jan 2007

Went to Do&Co at Stephansplatz again tonight. Food was ok but for 10-20 euros a starter and 30 euros a main course you can do better in Vienna. Main course portions ranged from tiny to something nobody could ever finish. Also the service was miserable, three waiters/waitresses obnoxiously buzzing around the table like a bunch of bees or flies or something, refilling half empty sparkling water glasses with still water, bringing out dishes 10 minutes apart, and just generally being too visible. We first had to ask for bread, and then had to ask for the butter and salt that go with it. This stuff should arrive without anyone asking/noticing.

Went to the downstairs cocktail bar afterwards and ran into 15 year old girls from my former high school who were absolutely drunk/embarrassing and being preyed on by creepy 30s-40s guys, who allows that at such a place?

I probably won't be returning, if I want to spend 50 Euros a person + drinks I'll go to Meierei instead. However the Do&Co at Albertina is still worth visiting for lunch when it's warm enough to sit outside (or inside if you like marble and Klimt). The potato soup is the best I've ever had anywhere. Still I preferred it when Aioli was still in there.

My little brother took for some reason a picture of his starter. This plate of food cost ~15 Euros.

Again, nothing about this evening was particularly bad, but for the money it should have been much better. Do&Co used to be one of the best restaurants in the city, and to me it no longer is.
                      Last edited by ProfMonnitoff; 04-17-2010, 09:32 PM.

Comment

• ProfMonnitoff
                        • Jan 2007

Originally posted by Chinorlz View Post
                        Your fried egg images make me sad that in the US you can't get such rich looking yolks... Pale yellow here instead of the flavorful deep orange ones.
                        If you source them locally I'm sure you can get nice ones in America as well. You can tell when they are mass produced ones and the chickens live like sardines, but those can be avoided.

When I was in LA last summer, I got perfectly good eggs at Ralph's. Bread is a whole different story, America for the most part still hasn't figured out that there's more than toast and cheap rye loafs.

I remember reading somewhere that the percentage of income spent on food has pretty much decreased across the board in the past few decades. This is very unfortunate, and it's the reason why even basics like bread, cheese, etc. are becoming worse in most places.

Comment

• theetruscan
                          • Jan 2008

Profmonnitoff is right about the eggs (totally clueless about bread though). While I've not yet found anywhere turning out eggs with quite the rich golden yolk of the best eggs I could find in Italy, I consistently get very close by buying eggs from local farmers who raise different breeds in better conditions. I would be shocked if San Antonio, growing as it is and near to Austin, doesn't have ready sources of well-raised eggs to change your mind.
                          Hobo: We all dress up. We all put on our armour before we walk out the door, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that we’re trying to be someone else.

Comment

• Chinorlz
                            • Sep 2006

Originally posted by theetruscan View Post
                            Profmonnitoff is right about the eggs (totally clueless about bread though). While I've not yet found anywhere turning out eggs with quite the rich golden yolk of the best eggs I could find in Italy, I consistently get very close by buying eggs from local farmers who raise different breeds in better conditions. I would be shocked if San Antonio, growing as it is and near to Austin, doesn't have ready sources of well-raised eggs to change your mind.
                            There are some free range eggs to be purchased at the local small farmers market every saturday... I think they're like $5 a dozen though but maybe this weekend I'll buy a dozen just to taste them. They sell out early.

Some good artisanal breads made for the market as well so perhaps I'll give it a try :)

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• theetruscan
                              • Jan 2008

Free range is bullshit, just means there's a door in their factory. Make sure they're pastured hens.

I don't refrigerate farm-fresh eggs. I think it helps them keep flavor and makes it easier to make macaron to boot. But maybe I'm crazy.

Also, usually finding a farmer will usually let you get those eggs for far less, but at a farmers market, $4-5 seems par for the course. Big difference percentage-wise, but still not really much money.
                              Last edited by theetruscan; 04-19-2010, 08:03 PM. Reason: said also too much.
                              Hobo: We all dress up. We all put on our armour before we walk out the door, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that we’re trying to be someone else.

Comment

• Chinorlz
                                • Sep 2006

Originally posted by theetruscan View Post
                                Free range is bullshit, just means there's a door in their factory. Make sure they're pastured hens.

Also, I don't refrigerate farm-fresh eggs. I think it helps them keep flavor and makes it easier to make macaron to boot. But maybe I'm crazy.

Also, usually finding a farmer will usually let you get those eggs for far less, but at a farmers market, $4-5 seems par for the course. Big difference percentage-wise, but still not really much money.
                                Sorry, I used free range a bit liberally here. I believe they're pastured but I will ask. It's funny because when I lived in Berlin I never refrigerated the eggs but back in the US I reverted back to doing so.

You're right that $5 a dozen in the big picture isn't that much... Will give it a try this weekend!

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎