X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chinorlz
    • Sep 2006

Originally posted by copacetic View Post
    rub the whole bird down with vegetable oil before you put it in the oven (at a high temperature). you do want the skin to dry, so that it crisps up. but with the oil there as a protective layer, the skin will fry rather than dry.

also, truss the bird before roasting.
    When I roast a chicken, I use no oil at all and the skin brown and crisps up perfectly. I do it almost once a week because the results are so nice:

Get chicken to room temp
    Truss bird after trimming fat
    pat dry
    sprinkle with fresh thyme, sea salt, lemon zest
    Oven at 400F
    Toss it in breast side up

Once the skin over the breast has browned, take it out and let it rest for another 10-15 min before serving.

The key is to have the chicken at room temperature before cooking. This ensures that you're not putting something too cold into the oven (especially the center of the chicken) and that everything will cook evenly. Almost no seasonings are necessary if you buy a high quality bird. You want a bird with medium fat content but not super fatty like a wal-mart chicken. The bird inherently will have enough subcutaneous oil to keep everything moist and also allow the skin to crisp.

I sometimes shove a half of a lemon into the chest cavity as well after I've zested.
    www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• copacetic
      • Nov 2010

agreed on a room temperature bird before roasting.

as for oil/no oil, i follow the thomas keller recipe, which includes an oil rubdown but a higher temp (450). at that temp, the oil keeps the skin from burning. at 400 the oil isn't necessary.
      And "When the prince has gathered about him
      "All the savants and artists, his riches will be fully employed."

Canto XIII, Ezra Pound

Comment

• aussy
        • Jul 2011

dango!

Comment

• Patroklus
          Banned
          • Feb 2011

Pastrami in LA?
          Already familiar with The Hat and Philippe's, but I feel like both could be better.

Comment

• een
            • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Patroklus View Post
            Pastrami in LA?
            Langer's

Comment

• zamacdonell
              • Sep 2010

Pastrami in LA

Originally posted by Patroklus View Post
              Pastrami in LA?
              Already familiar with The Hat and Philippe's, but I feel like both could be better.
              This place is pretty good and has a couple options http://www.pkdla.com/menu2.htm

But then again, I am a fan of The Hat's Pastrami so you can take that for what its worth

Comment

• uL7iMa
                • Oct 2010

Thanks for all the replies! I will look the books up at the bookstore! Hope I don't end up buying them all LOL...

Originally posted by t-bone View Post
                the new ferran adria book "the family meal" is amazing for its recipes and photos, and i'll always love the chez pannise menus book, and her newer "the art of simple food" for cooking from, but no pics in either...
                I did browse through "The Family Meal" and quite liked it, but I read quite a number of reviews mentioning that the numbers for the ingredients are wrong!! I'd probably wait till the errors are fixed in a reprint before buying it....

Comment

• Raw
                  • Oct 2009

Went on a short trip to Hong Kong last month and took photos of a lot of the things I ate haha. Here are some of the highlights for me:

Teppanyaki: this was the equal best dish along with a grilled mackeral which was de-boned, but I forgot to take a photo of that.

Some my fave dishes from a sushi train.

The best chicken I had in Hong Kong, better than all the fancier, more expensive restaurants, including Yung Kee.
                  Hainanese chicken rice from Tsui Wah in Causeway Bay.

Yung Kee.

The 2 best dishes all trip. This was for dinner, which I think is much better than lunch and probably the reason why it's much more expenive than lunch prices. I went back for lunch a few days later to try their chicken which was no where near as good.

Portuguese tart, soo much better than any I've had in Australia. I had no idea portuguese tarts were so good until I tried this because they are always hard and dry here.

Comment

• Raw
                    • Oct 2009

These puffs from the bottom food level at SoGo are always great, I always get some when I visit Hong Kong.
                    Chestnut cream puff:

Tiramisu puff:

Shabu Shabu

Comment

• Raw
                      • Oct 2009

On the last day, I had to go to Kau Kee for their famous beef brisket noodles.

Curry beef brisket with thick egg noodles, the best combination imo.

Beef brisket soup hor fun.

Bonus pics, at the German Bierfest:

Then had some of this:

Comment

• endersgame
                        • Aug 2009

Originally posted by Raw View Post
                        Portuguese tart, soo much better than any I've had in Australia. I had no idea portuguese tarts were so good until I tried this because they are always hard and dry here.
                        that and everything else you've tried exists in our own respective countries, but it never looks or tastes as good compare to hk..

Comment

• theaddict
                          • Apr 2008

I have to admit after living for 3 months in Hong Kong, foodwise i was kind of happy to leave. My stomach couldnt digest the masses of MSG used in Chinese kitchen. The last month i did not go to one place Chinese place anymore, only Korean, Thai or Western food. Never had so many stomach/digestion problems as in HK...maybe its also bc its a bit too greasy for me...
                          Enviormental freaks, move away! My scarf will travel around the world and back!

Comment

• Raw
                            • Oct 2009

Yeah I gotta agree, the chinese cuisine is much more oily and salty, besides the big family gathering dinners, I didn't eat chinese cuisine much, even veggies aren't a healthy choice since it's stir fried in so much oil. Chinese roasts are good though. I ate a lot of Japanese and Korean food, didn't have any western food except for buffet at Four Season's in Macau.

Now that I'm back in Aus, Japanese food just sucks

Comment

• MoFiya
                              • Sep 2007

Had some awesome t-bone steak today. Cooked sous-vide until core temperature of 56°C, then roasted with a bunsen burner and served with potatoes and salad.

I have dreams of orca whales and owls
                              But I wake up in fear

BBS for sale (Sz 48-52)

Comment

• PPK
                                • Oct 2011

It's really cool t-bone steak . It seems to be very tasty.
                                The wind changed directions. But the soul never changes.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎