Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lane
    • Aug 2010

people might be intimidated because the level of thinking here is pretty high in a variety of arenas. So, maybe some choose to lurk and just learn.

however, you do have a good point that good discussions spawn from banal commentary, lmao.

Comment

• Faust
      kitsch killer
      • Sep 2006

Originally posted by JoniF
      I wonder how prevalent in contemporary society the image is of the stereotypical male who is interested in fashion. How does the image shift according to other cultures? In America, I think the image looks something like this:
      Why would a classically trained violinist care about what the peasant with a one string banjo thinks?
      Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• jogu
        • Jun 2009

lol @ that picture . i feel like the stereotypical american image of a guy into fashion is either some stupid hipster bs like v necks and fedoras and lots of colorful bullshet OR someone in a suit and tie and shiny dress shoes like some GQ poop . oftentimes when i see or hear or meet guys that wanna get into buying/wearing or are alrdy into fashion they think that just " dressin up " like a button up shirt and dress trousers and some blazer is fashionable , like just that act of wearin somethin formal = fashion . i see alot of this in certain areas here , not just downtown . like these guys dressed up in a white dress shirt thats not even properly fitted and some tie and a blazer that looks like it came from one of the trendy thrift shops , walkin off the train with their head all high . i look at them as they walk by and think " get the fuuuuuuuuk .. " tho i dont say or show it .
        then on the other hand ill see rlly young guys come into barneys are wherever with like a red micheal jackson thriller jacket , some kinda hair cut with a strip of hair shaved and the other side with a stripe of blue , skinny denim and white sneakers and like 5000 different belts around their waist actin kinda smug also , goin immediately to the dolce & gab section .

the many people ive met who wear more " high fashion " stuff act much differently , theyre more humble and less ostensibly "fashionable" . even the only other person i kno here in chicago who wears rick doesnt stand out quite as much as the eyesores i mentioned which i think is ironic .
        i kno some friends who were rly hesitant to go into barneys for a long time becos their stereotype was someone who was smug cos they drop $$$ on clothes and im sure there are people who are like that ( from my experiences its mostly older twats with a shitload of powder on their faces who are like that ), but for the most part ive found the opposite to be true

Comment

• endersgame
          • Aug 2009

i saw tiiu kuik again today, walking her dog. she had this ugly tube mini on, but damn that girl can make a burlap sack look good..

Comment

• Matis
            • Feb 2010

The vision of fashionable men was strongly under influence by italian designers a la Armani, Cavalli...I think this applied to major population view on fashion in all ex-Yugoslavian states. Only in bigger cities you saw more diversity of knowledge about high fashion and the acceptance of it. In the post 2000 years the people started to move on, fashion is now more accepted (im talking about men fashion), the stores that carry high fashion are appearing.

But i see this only in bigger cities, capitals. In my town you are already considered fashion-wise man if you wear jeans with a blazer and a "stylish" scarf, but that is actually good if you consider that many men of my generation wear Adidas tracksuits.

But still you hardly see what we would define "high fashion".
            Last edited by Matis; 10-28-2010, 06:32 AM. Reason: misspelling

Comment

• syed
              • Sep 2010

I rather liked reading Daniel Miller's chapter "Why Clothing is not Superficial" in his book 'Stuff'. Perhaps more of a pop read, but my lecturer recommended it to me and I really enjoyed it.

He talks about the culture in Trinidad and their relationship with fashion. A few select ideas that I think work for this discussion....

"...instead of trying to ask where such a relationship to style comes from, instead of seeing it as a problem that requires explanation, we can turn the lens back onto ourselves. Why do we think that a devotion to clothing is a problem anyway? Why do we see it as a sign of superficiality and what does the very term superficiality imply? The problem with a theory of semiotics and of treating clothing as superficial is that we presume a certain relationship between the interior and exterior. We possess what could be called a depth ontology. The assumption that being - what we truly are - is located deep inside ourselves and is in direct opposition to the surface. A clothes shopper is shallow because a philosopher or a saint is deep. The true core to the self is relatively constant and unchanging and also unresponsive to mere circumstance. We have to look deep inside ourselves to find ourselves. But these are all metaphors. [...] My point is that there is simply no reason on earth why another population should see things this same way. No reason at all why they should consider our real being to be deep inside and falsity on the outside. The argument here is that Trinidadians by and large don't.

In stark contrast to this depth ontology Trinidadians seem to have almost a horror of things becoming interiorized, rather than kept on the surface."

"Why on earth should the natural look of a person be a guide to who that person is? By contrast, a person who spends time, money, taste and attention in creating a look, where the final look is the direct result of all that activity and effort, can properly be discovered in their appearance. Because now one is judging what they have done, not what they happen to look like originally. We are judging them by their labour, not their birth." (I absolutely love this excerpt).
              "Lots of people who think they are into fashion are actually just into shopping"

Comment

• kuugaia
                • Feb 2010

^ Thanks for sharing those excerpts, was very interesting to read. It really is a gift for somebody to be able to express themselves well. I am envious.

Comment

• sam_tem
                  • Apr 2007

so i've been out of town for a while, but when did the economist start this weekly limit of only being allowed 5 articles online without subscribing? oh well, it's been getting boring lately anyways.

what are the other good news sites, i can never find much that suits me and i just get my entertainment from the atlantic right now.

and ugh, that 5 page nymag article written by a hipster about hipsters, terrible. the news has become so desperate for money lately that it's embarassing. can't imagine how the world will be when all we have left is personalized facebook news feeds, but i suppose we'll find out soon.

Comment

• BeauIXI
                    • Nov 2008

This seems very strange to me.

Originally posted by philip nod
                    somebody should kop this. this is forever.

Comment

• Fade to Black
                      • Sep 2008

very much inspired these days by the attitude and approach David Hockney has taken at his age with embracing the new tools and working compulsively on his iPad paintings.
                      www.matthewhk.net

let me show you a few thangs

Comment

• bestial
                        • Jun 2008

Who of you Swedish guys are in the tube to Akalla in full Rick Owens get-up?

Comment

• ProfMonnitoff
                          • Jan 2007

If anybody is in Vienna, Bernhard Willhelm is DJing tonight

Log into Facebook to start sharing and connecting with your friends, family, and people you know.
                          Originally posted by jogu
                          i went out to take garbage out and froze my tits runnin down stairs , think im gonna chill at home tonite . hungry tho anyone have cool ideas on what to order for supper , not pizza tho sick of pizza

Comment

• Servo2000
                            • Oct 2006

Just noticed Fawlty Towers is on Netflix.
                            WTB: Rick Owens Padded MA-1 Bomber XS (LIMO / MOUNTAIN)

Comment

• CUTUP
                              • Sep 2009

Posting items on ebay after they had been offered for less on forums, then they all go for more then I was asking on the forums to begin with???

You snooze you loose people

And I refuse to admit ebay is actually working in my favor, I consider this a fluke which will eventually correct itself
                              Originally posted by marco-von
                              this all hurts my brain more than child birth hurts vagina's.

Comment

• Servo2000
                                • Oct 2006

Most everything I sell on ebay goes for more than when I sell on forums. Pretty much every time.
                                WTB: Rick Owens Padded MA-1 Bomber XS (LIMO / MOUNTAIN)

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎