• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Darklands
    Banned
    • Nov 2008

Originally posted by Faust View Post
    I believe that and that's why I've said before that maybe doing away with a fashion show and just presenting the clothes might be the best route for Boris. A fashion show is a presentation of your aesthetic universe in a performance-like setting - it has to have themes and ideas and be well-put together and directed. Making garments is another thing and the two don't always work well.
    i think a 'presentation' is more suited to Boris Bidjan Saberi, as he did with great effect three years ago with a number of white-clad models suspended from the ceiling on chains. now that had impact and for me, presented his world in a way that was on par with his actual work.

aside from the huge savings, one can see the product better (and longer) and it just simply more interesting and feels more directional to me. plus you have a 3 hour window to get there to see it, instead of 20-25 minutes.

but the big world of fashion, press-wise, still responds to runway shows and i think that is the reason he continues with the runway path . . .

Comment

• Patroklus
      Banned
      • Feb 2011

It's the same silhouette two dozen times. an entire collection made of Rick basics melted together after a fire.

Comment

• cjbreed
        • Feb 2009

^thats not true.

another thing about the runway show that didn't work was that it appeared to me that the models had been instructed to move as stiffly and awkwardly as possible.

the color palette is not my favorite but overall i like the collection. except for the ridiculous "they killed kenny" look that faust pointed out. but i find boris to be completely recognizable and unique. the rick/julius comparisons make no sense to me. i don't know how to say it but i think he nails that post-apocalyptic nomad darkness thing without being too teen angsty.

but i guess i'll mention that i don't really care for the "dick flap" component of the tops. 2 reasons. 1 - the clothes are made from thin clingy materials hence a constant threat looking like you are smuggling walnuts. 2 - its awkward to have this thing flapping around between your legs. it serves no purpose.
        dying and coming back gives you considerable perspective

Comment

• andrew
          • Sep 2009

I've given this some time and repeated viewings but i just cant get on board, there's a few nice pieces and there always are from his collections but i just find so much of it looks really awkward and ill fitting. I know people here say that its really comfortable and the fits are great and whatever but i seldom see pieces that i think look nice and look like they fit nicely, whether they do or not, either on the runways, in store photos or even in the waywt.
          I thought i would check some out in person so went to Hostem and was underwhelmed in general by the garments, nothing wrong with them but nothing of note either.

Comment

• Patroklus
            Banned
            • Feb 2011

Originally posted by cjbreed View Post
            the rick/julius comparisons make no sense to me.
            The entire thing is knee length Ts and knee height crotches. Add some Damir Doma and you have everything he's aping.

Good designers borrow ideas from outside of fashion or are original enough that you can't recognize where in fashion they're getting their inspiration from. This collection is just Rick Owens' Greatest Hits.

Comment

• lowrey
              ventiundici
              • Dec 2006

Originally posted by Patroklus View Post
              The entire thing is knee length Ts and knee height crotches. Add some Damir Doma and you have everything he's aping.

Good designers borrow ideas from outside of fashion or are original enough that you can't recognize where in fashion they're getting their inspiration from. This collection is just Rick Owens' Greatest Hits.
              it sounds like you are trying to analyze this based on some runway pictures you've skimmed through. the Damir comparison in particular is basically like saying all black clothing is the same.
              "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• Faust
                kitsch killer
                • Sep 2006

Yeah, I think at this point it's safe to say they are doing very different things.
                Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• couturehomme
                  • Oct 2008

so...

his tees don't look and fit like RO tees
                  his blazers/leather jackets don't look like RO blazers/leather jackets at all
                  his pants definitely don't look like ROs pants..at all
                  his shoes/boots look nothing like ROs shoes/boots at all..

yet somehow, his collections is a copy of RO?

I lol every season when someone posts the Boris collection. The threads are nearly identical. The "usual suspects" come in trashing it, then comes the RO "copying" stuff, yada yada yada...

As for this collection, it is a bit too clean for me. As usual, has some very nice individual WEARABLE pieces (not many leathers this time around wtf!) but as a collection, is definitely not as strong as ss11 or fw11. Still though, pretty decent collection. Pants and boots continue to be extremely, extremely strong.

edit: and yes, the kenny look is rather ridiculous

Comment

• Patroklus
                    Banned
                    • Feb 2011

Originally posted by lowrey View Post
                    the Damir comparison in particular

Originally posted by couturehomme
                    He doesn't need to be releasing direct copies of Rick Owens to be derivative of Rick Owens. My point is that there's very little personal and original ideas here and far too much aping from what other designers are doing.

Comment

• DRRRK
                      • Aug 2009

So what you are saying is that long shirt, blazer and shorts are trademark Damir and BBS adapted it? Although the pieces itself look nothing alike?
                      I own things by both designers (okay latest Damir is from SS09, after that he kind of sucked) and there is absolutely zero similarity between fabrics, seamwork, shape, basically none at all, except for me owning them.

BTW, what is the rhythm method? Does not seem to work properly.

Comment

• Patroklus
                        Banned
                        • Feb 2011

Black out the models. It's the same silhouette with similar necklines and jackets.

The rhythm method is contraception by pulling out before ejaculation. We usually call its adherents "parents".

Comment

• Antidote
                          • Apr 2009

[QUOTE=couturehomme;314138]so...

his tees don't look and fit like RO tees
                          his blazers/leather jackets don't look like RO blazers/leather jackets at all
                          his pants definitely don't look like ROs pants..at all
                          his shoes/boots look nothing like ROs shoes/boots at all..

Absolutly right.....it's like comparing Apples and pears......

Comment

• lowrey
                            ventiundici
                            • Dec 2006

Originally posted by Patroklus View Post

thats a terrible comparison. you are juxtaposing a blazer to a leather jacket, t-shirts that have a similar neck-line but are otherwise entirely different (the other one is simply long, the other has a flap), jersey shorts to what looks like a chiffon diaper, and tall boots to sandals?
                            "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• zamb
                              • Nov 2006

we can also hear that the boots are a copy of the sandals too..........because Damir invented footwear and Boris copied him
                              “You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
                              .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

• Patroklus
                                Banned
                                • Feb 2011

I never said anything about their shoes. I said that I've seen this collection before from other designers. I didn't say that he was making direct knock offs a la Black Scissors or that he was copying outfits verbatim from other designers. I said that his silhouettes and concepts have already been explored.

As a runway show, this collection is a failure.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎