X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lowrey
    ventiundici
    • Dec 2006

theres an adapter for the 30-pin to hook up USB.

I recall reading that its possible to connect an external HD. there also an SD card reader if you need more storage. However I don't know how freely you can move files back and forth. since its Apple, I'm sure its limited somehow. I'd guess you can at least read an external source.

Android tablets like Galaxy 10.1 also have similar adaptors, and at least with the SD card, you can use the built in file manager to move, copy and paste files between the built in memory and the SD card. I'd assume its the same with external HD's.
    "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• Dane
      HAMMERTIME
      • Feb 2011

So I sold my Leica p&s and bought this micro 4/3 (against Mr. Lowrey's advice):

Not the top-end of the camera market by any means, but I think a good step-up for someone like me who wants to explore different lenses and more control over the photograph but doesn't want to commit to too much $$$.

Thus far I'm liking the results, but hating the kit lens that came with it (bulky for the size of the body, etc.) so I ordered a 14mm pancake to see how I fare with that.

Thoughts/advice?
      i traded my LUC jeans + Julius belt + Neil Barrett jeans for a blamain biker jeans

Comment

• Dane
        HAMMERTIME
        • Feb 2011

re: ipad...I recall the EU deciding that there had to be a standard plug for mobile phones, and that regulation will come into effect at some point...not sure if Apple will transition the ipad to follow the same rules (as it uses cellular service, it may have to). I'm sure they'll figure something out to require you to buy additional adapters.

unless you're going to jailbreak, file transfer/management is useless on the current ios platform. all/most is currently hidden behind specific applications and inaccessible to the average user. as much as everyone would like their ipad to function like a notebook, Apple has other ideas.

an article on the dock connector: http://www.imore.com/2012/02/23/appl...ock-connector/
        i traded my LUC jeans + Julius belt + Neil Barrett jeans for a blamain biker jeans

Comment

• endorphinz
          Banned
          • Jun 2009

anybody preorder the NEW iPad? ... what a stoopid name. I actually had my finger on the submit order link & changed my mind. Too many questions about 4g and even more about the use I would get from a new toy. I would buy it in a heartbeat if I were a gamer, but I'm not and everything I would use the iPad for I already do on my iPhone. I'm pretty sure I'll just wait for the new phone and strongly consider buying the new Mac air when it is released.

Comment

• Dane
            HAMMERTIME
            • Feb 2011

I think the resolution is impressive...which is what I was waiting for. I couldn't care less about the back-facing camera (do people use ipads to take pictures?) I also don't care for the siri-dictation thing...not something I can see myself using.

They seemed to emphasize that the graphics were quad core, but I assume the cpu remains dual core as it wasn't mentioned(?) I was hoping that would have happened.

As you said, it is just a toy...it doesn't yet replace a notebook, and if I were to buy, I wouldn't even bother with the 4g version, as I'll always have my phone in my pocket anyway. Not sure what the pricing is like in the US and abroad, but in Canada it's fairly steep ($35 for 5gb).

Comment

• mrbeuys
              • May 2008

Originally posted by endorphinz View Post
              anybody preorder the NEW iPad?
              I did. Lost my iPad2 on a plane a while ago and while I didn't miss it much, I am looking forward to having it as are my kids. We will now have 3 iPads in the family.
              But you should get an Air, I echo Faust's sentiment about it being the best tech purchase I have made. I owned the first gen Air and it was light but slow. The new one is perfect, and I use it for pretty demanding graphics as well.
              Hi. I like your necklace. - It's actually a rape whistle, but the whistle part fell off.

Comment

• endorphinz
                Banned
                • Jun 2009

yeah,graphicsare very impressive but if you don't game does it really matter? I believe just the gpu is quad while the cpu remains duo... it's only 1 chip tho. anyway, the thing doesn't even allow you to do anything that would require more processing power. I wasn't considering getting the data plan model but when they announced 4g as really the major update (along with the graphics) I thought it would be silly to buy the thing without it. in the end, the fact that they considered 4g to be the reason to buy it, I decided not to.

I'm kinda disappointed cuz I really haven't bought any tech in a while and wanted sumthin new to play with but i just couldn't justify buying.

Comment

• endorphinz
                  Banned
                  • Jun 2009

also, I really don't like the intended increased use of cloud services. I realize in theory they are great but I tend to be very paranoid where data is concerned. probably unfounded but.....

Comment

• Patroklus
                    Banned
                    • Feb 2011

I've taken apart a lot of towers but yesterday was the first time I've taken apart a laptop. Replacing the system fan required removing nearly every single component from the case, with the only exceptions being the display, speaker attachment, and USB board. Laptop architecture is a fucking mess.

Comment

• sinnedk
                      Banned
                      • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Patroklus View Post
                      I've taken apart a lot of towers but yesterday was the first time I've taken apart a laptop. Replacing the system fan required removing nearly every single component from the case, with the only exceptions being the display, speaker attachment, and USB board. Laptop architecture is a fucking mess.
                      its all really compact, I think its amazing how small things are now

Comment

• darkbydesign
                        • Sep 2010

Yeah, the IPad rocks and it's not stupid to call it and IPad. Just like every other product on Earth, it was stupid to call it by generation to begin with. (i.e.-when you buy a new computer it's not called the Powerbook 17. It's just called the new Powerbook, etc.)

I think the new version has much more accelerated graphics and am enjoying that. Like stated above, it's just a toy. I only use my IPad when traveling and that's because it has the best battery life of any of the Apple products. I flew 10 hours and watched video, did email and reading 80% of the time and only took it down to 40% with the dimmer on. If you want something with a legit OS that can do computing, just dump the extra couple hundred over the IPad 4G and get the MacBook Air. A MacBook Air is completely worth the couple hundred extra and is extremely light weight and zippy.

Re:4G. Personally, in San Francisco, I live on Market street in the most populated area and still didn't have good cell phone coverage on AT&T after all the updates on the IPhone, but after 4G iOS 5 was released, I can finally make phone calls from home! Yay! I don't think the Verizon version dropped so many calls to begin with, but I can say that if you've been experiencing drop calls every 10 minutes on your iOS that the new update really kicks ass....

Comment

• lowrey
                          ventiundici
                          • Dec 2006

Originally posted by darkbydesign View Post
                          it was stupid to call it by generation to begin with.
                          some say stupid, some say genius

"AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• sinnedk
                            Banned
                            • Dec 2011

Originally posted by darkbydesign View Post
                            Yeah, the IPad rocks and it's not stupid to call it and IPad. Just like every other product on Earth, it was stupid to call it by generation to begin with. (i.e.-when you buy a new computer it's not called the Powerbook 17. It's just called the new Powerbook, etc.)

I think the new version has much more accelerated graphics and am enjoying that. Like stated above, it's just a toy. I only use my IPad when traveling and that's because it has the best battery life of any of the Apple products. I flew 10 hours and watched video, did email and reading 80% of the time and only took it down to 40% with the dimmer on. If you want something with a legit OS that can do computing, just dump the extra couple hundred over the IPad 4G and get the MacBook Air. A MacBook Air is completely worth the couple hundred extra and is extremely light weight and zippy.

Re:4G. Personally, in San Francisco, I live on Market street in the most populated area and still didn't have good cell phone coverage on AT&T after all the updates on the IPhone, but after 4G iOS 5 was released, I can finally make phone calls from home! Yay! I don't think the Verizon version dropped so many calls to begin with, but I can say that if you've been experiencing drop calls every 10 minutes on your iOS that the new update really kicks ass....
                            agree on all points, btw im in sf too and havent had much problems with my iphone, had most iterations since 07

Comment

• Sverrenor
                              • Feb 2012

Anyone who knows what to do with a Mac that's fell almost 2 meters and landed on wooden floor?

It caused some scratches and I'm sensitive about it, even though I've had it for three years now. Any miracle pen that fills up the scrapes? Like that insanely annoying TV Shop-commercial:

[IMG][/IMG]

Comment

• Dane
                                HAMMERTIME
                                • Feb 2011

^ maybe get a hardshell case for it? Haven't come across any miracle pens in my journeys.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎