Sruli Recht

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Peasant View Post
    If he's actually blind I'm cool with it. If not it's an odd glamorization of a terrible condition.
    the model is indeed clinically blind.

Comment

• Peasant
      • Jul 2009

Then I stand completely corrected. Amazing.

I have yet to see any of these goods for sale other than a visit to his "armory." I'm not trying to derail on kop details.. I'm just wondering where the market for it is.

Comment

• Qwerty
        • Oct 2011

Sooooooo beautiful...the materials, tailoring and construction!!!....just speechless...

Comment

• zamb
          • Nov 2006

I don't think the styling is to my liking, but I saw the collection in person in Paris and there was a lot of pieces that I actually liked.

I was about to place a custom order on a few things but somehow never got around to doing it.

what I can say from firsthand knowledge is the quality of the items themselves are of the first rate order...........well made and the cuts are very interesting
          “You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
          .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

• copacetic
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Peasant View Post
            If he's actually blind I'm cool with it. If not it's an odd glamorization of a terrible condition.
            i'm not sure why you're hung up on the "reality" of his condition. you didn't know if he was blind or not by looking at the model. your desire for authenticity has no effect on your aesthetic reaction to the work.

you're like oprah during the james frey controversy. she was scandalized that some details of his memoir were fictionalized. nowadays, most people seem perfectly comfortable with that uniquely modern blend of reality and fiction. take a look at GILEAD, which won the pulitzer prize for fiction in 2005. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gilead_(novel) . you are standing athwart history yelling "stop!"

also! i thought of another reason that you're wrong! (haha...) let's say that the model, just for argument's sake, was not blind, and had perfect vision. the glasses effectively make him blind, so the model himself would have the experience of being blind when walking down the runway.

this point of view is just completely foreign to me. when you go to the theater, do you have the same desire for authenticity? if you see an actor on stage who is pretending to have cancer, do you demand that the actor himself should have cancer in order for your aesthetic experience to be "authentic"?
            Last edited by copacetic; 10-23-2011, 02:28 PM. Reason: more!
            And "When the prince has gathered about him
            "All the savants and artists, his riches will be fully employed."

Canto XIII, Ezra Pound

Comment

• copacetic
              • Nov 2010

because someone tapping a stick with a red tip in front of them is easy to miss?
              often times, blind people sit down. in fact, most blind people don't prefer to walk long distances because it can be dangerous.

Canto XIII, Ezra Pound

Comment

• lowrey
                ventiundici
                • Dec 2006

Originally posted by copacetic View Post
                often times, blind people sit down. in fact, most blind people don't prefer to walk long distances because it can be dangerous.
                are you serious? do you realize how naive and condescending that sounds?
                "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• copacetic
                  • Nov 2010

/\

what do you mean? how is it naive? in most cases, that's true.

i'm sorry if there's a blind person in your life that you feel i've offended, but most blind people don't prefer to walk long distances by themselves, especially in unfamiliar places.

Canto XIII, Ezra Pound

Comment

• Peasant
                    • Jul 2009

I find it offensive to glamorize a hanidcap. On a runway I'd describe it as that. Given that the model is in fact blind it adds a cushion. Honestly, I still find it a bit tacky. SR is doing whatever he wants and I don't believe it was meant to be offensive. Pushing boundaries is always good.

You should relax. How can one's opinion be "wrong?" I think whatever I think and if I think you're an asshole it doesn't necessarily make it so. Opinions and different views are what make this forum great.

For future reference, blind people do not prefer to sit all day because they're afraid. I work at a surgical center that specializes in correcting visual problems. All of my patients, blind or nearly blind want to be out and about and as functional as possible. Perhaps this is why it struck me the way it did. Anyway...

Comment

• Peasant
                      • Jul 2009

I feel like I owe this thread some substance. Agree with Merz on the FW>SS though same can be said for most designers. To be honest the shit does look comfortable. Fencing leather is awesome.

Comment

• Chinorlz
                        • Sep 2006

The gloves are pure bad assery. I'm eagerly awaiting my reindeer black hand wraps from Sruli... I check his site about once a day to see if the webstore is up as well.

The fabric choices and color tones all look great and the single piece construction approach for a lot of the garments lend both an angular and organic feel to them. Very interesting how we can all utilize a technique and result in different looking works.

Love the sandals as well. The newest collection really conveys a light and airy feel to it and one of the very very few collections I've seen that makes wearing shorts, a tank/shirt and sandals look sharp.
                        www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• Faust
                          kitsch killer
                          • Sep 2006

Then I stand completely corrected. Amazing.

I have yet to see any of these goods for sale other than a visit to his "armory." I'm not trying to derail on kop details.. I'm just wondering where the market for it is.
                          There isn't much of a market for this, but that's not what drives creativity.
                          Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• lowrey
                            ventiundici
                            • Dec 2006

Originally posted by copacetic View Post
                            /\

what do you mean? how is it naive? in most cases, that's true.

i'm sorry if there's a blind person in your life that you feel i've offended, but most blind people don't prefer to walk long distances by themselves, especially in unfamiliar places.
                            The naive part is assuming that blind people just sit around because they can't see. I have a blind person in my immediate family who is probably more active than most non-blind people I know. like Peasant said:

For future reference, blind people do not prefer to sit all day because they're afraid. I work at a surgical center that specializes in correcting visual problems. All of my patients, blind or nearly blind want to be out and about and as functional as possible. Perhaps this is why it struck me the way it did. Anyway...

What goes for the glasses, I talked to Sruli about them, the cane, and the model who is in fact blind. I recall him saying that he just simply wanted to design something for a blind person. I don't know what really crosses the line of glamorizing something, but it didn't come across to me as such.

to me they are just beautiful items, the wood and stone used on them are amazing.
                            "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• cowsareforeating
                              • Jan 2011

taken from forever tomorrow shop description:

Fabric:
                              Pure descendants of the same stock as the Norweigian Spelsau brought to Iceland by the Vikings prior to 900 Anno Domine, Icelandic sheep have been bred unmixed for one thousand, one hundred years in a bitter, hard environment. The baron moss-fields of Iceland yield rare game and consequently they are efficient herbivores.

Icelandic skins comes in many in many colours and generally are not dyed. The hide is quite soft and are on average 6 square feet to 8 square feet in size. Often left unshorn for the winter, the wool length can be up to 8 inches in length.

Icelandic fleece is dual coated, and this wool is made up of two types of fibres: coarse and fine. The long outer coat is called Tog and the fine inner coat is called Thel. Tog is generally classifies as a medium wool around 27 micrometers in diameter. This wool is good for weaving and for use in other durable products and it is long, glossy, tough and water resistant. Thel, being the finer wool and classified as such, is generally around 20 micrometers in diameter. This finer wool is used for garments that touch the skin as it tends to be softer and more insulating, providing a high resistance to cold and possessing a unique texture and natural colour.

Machines:
                              Cut with a Lightening Machine Company Swift 928. Sewn on a Juki MO-2516, Merrow 15-CA, Juki DDL 5550-6, Jcut 1200 Lazer Engraver, Pfaff 260 modified for felting, Singer 71-32 and by Hand-Held Needle.

Product Description:
                              Fitted, double-breasted Icelandic woolen-felt coat, with floating tails covering patch-pockets and a hung half lining of Japanese cotton and silk. Draped as three warped pieces entirely on a K&L stand and on the body of a man named Emil in Reykjavik.

The lining of this jacket is bias-cut from imported Japanese silk and cotton. The hand attached shank buttons on this jacket are made in Sruli's studio from two circles of Icelandic hore skin.

that is ONE informative process of some intricate work..

Comment

• zamb
                                • Nov 2006

Well,

can you tell us what is your concept or understanding of nature?............

Originally posted by rilu
                                every time i visit this thread i think the same. also, these shots above on this page give such a romanticist vibe, "back to nature" idea almost shouts out from them... and that approach to styling and design is something i don't find neither exciting nor aesthetically appealing (one of the reasons for that being the simplified idea of nature as such that underlies such approaches) :-/
                                “You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
                                .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎