• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lowrey
    ventiundici
    • Dec 2006

Actual quotes from a single Farfetch item description:

"instinctive appeals to retro silhouettes are executed with forward-thinking tailoring techniques to devise something entirely new"

"a twist on the classic"

"staple"

mind. blown.

and you might be wondering what kind of a sartorial masterpiece this applies to? a cotton t-shirt by Neil-fucking-Barrett.

(disclaimer, I clicked on it by accident as I was attempting to click to the next page)
    "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• Faust
      kitsch killer
      • Sep 2006

Which size did you get?

Originally posted by lowrey View Post
      Actual quotes from a single Farfetch item description:

"instinctive appeals to retro silhouettes are executed with forward-thinking tailoring techniques to devise something entirely new"

"a twist on the classic"

"staple"

mind. blown.

and you might be wondering what kind of a sartorial masterpiece this applies to? a cotton t-shirt by Neil-fucking-Barrett.

(disclaimer, I clicked on it by accident as I was attempting to click to the next page)
      Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• mrbeuys
        • May 2008

I'm thinking AI wrote most of this. Using the "I" loosely.
        Hi. I like your necklace. - It's actually a rape whistle, but the whistle part fell off.

Comment

• DudleyGray
          • Jul 2013

I seem to recall SZ members located in Houston. Hope they're managing OK.
          bandcamp | facebook | youtube

Comment

• zamb
            • Nov 2006

there are quite a number in houston and other areas of texas
            hope everyone is well........
            “You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
            .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

• MetroBulotDodo
              • Oct 2010

Faust, Please ban the off-topic asshole above. WTF.

My original post was meant to be a general inquiry to fellow SZers about the possible cons of the garment archives. My hope for the archives was always to be a place where I could upload photos, particularly for the sake of people new to the various designers. Since I'm not quite at a place where I could selling or donate the anchor pieces to a place that will conserve it for the reference of design students, I felt taking photos for the moment might suffice.

Yet, through the years that I've been posting on SZ, I've noticed a striking trend, specifically, in the appearance of dealers on places like eBay and 1stdibs who are pricing me out of the forgotten seasons that I think -- unless I'm utterly delusional -- that I've revisited and supported (i.e. AW 98, SS 98, SS 95). The consequence is that I'm priced out of garments that these rascals can't even be bothered to understand. (To wit: this sorry attempt at placing a gorgeous piece properly on a dress form. I love how these mostly clueless people are meant to represent the upper echelon of dealers.)

Trust me, I'm a shitty capitalist; I never wanted to be anything but. However, a general question for everyone? As eBay, etsy, everyone random vintage dealer's wares are at this point near-homogenous and overpriced, have I inadvertently contributed to screwing myself over permanently with my lefty-idealist aims of educating those who don't have access by posting so many images of some percentage of my collection? Are there design students or self-educators who are benefitting from studying the archives? Am I deluded in believing that I've had any influence in what dealers have sought out and purchased for resale in recent years? (To my eye, the hive mind has been uncanny in this act of homogenization.)

Taking photos for the archive takes up a tremendous amount of time. I'm now weighing the extent of my future contributions there. Any thoughts appreciated.

MBD
              "To articulate what is past does not mean to recognize 'how it really was.'
              It means to take control of a memory, as it flashes in a moment of danger."

-Walter Benjamin. Thesis VI, Theses on the Philosophy of History
              My rarities and quotidian garments for sale thread. My tumblr and eBay page.

Comment

• goldsamxo
                • Jan 2017

@Metro as a student myself, I've always appreciated your dedication to your wardrobe. I've been following you on Tumblr before I was a member on SZ (which is how I found out you were the same person, actually), and I have a lot of your photos saved onto my computer in my 'Fashion' folder, which I use to study mainly during class. I know that I'm not the only person who appreciates what you do here - but I do agree with your points above; especially with the inflation in 'vintage' prices.
                Originally Posted by Latoya Sizemore View Post

It would be great if one cane wear little bit loose T-shirts with some great prints like marijuana leaves, cannabis, weeds etc.
                Most of the youngsters will like to wear fashionable and chill clothing, which give a great looks to youngsters.

Comment

• DudleyGray
                  • Jul 2013

I think it's more likely that the general price increase of used CdG is due to increased visibility through the Play and Shirt lines, the Supreme collaboration, and the Met exhibition. So I think you're being delusional, if that is of any comfort. I'm sure people appreciate the archival effort, the archives here is one of the few things that this place offers that can't be found elsewhere. Come to think of it, it would be cool if the site had an archives section that was more easily navigated from a reference perspective, but then who knows how much it would get used.
                  Last edited by DudleyGray; 09-01-2017, 07:59 AM.

Comment

• Faust
                    kitsch killer
                    • Sep 2006

Originally posted by MetroBulotDodo View Post
                    Faust, Please ban the off-topic asshole above. WTF.

My original post was meant to be a general inquiry to fellow SZers about the possible cons of the garment archives. My hope for the archives was always to be a place where I could upload photos, particularly for the sake of people new to the various designers. Since I'm not quite at a place where I could selling or donate the anchor pieces to a place that will conserve it for the reference of design students, I felt taking photos for the moment might suffice.

Yet, through the years that I've been posting on SZ, I've noticed a striking trend, specifically, in the appearance of dealers on places like eBay and 1stdibs who are pricing me out of the forgotten seasons that I think -- unless I'm utterly delusional -- that I've revisited and supported (i.e. AW 98, SS 98, SS 95). The consequence is that I'm priced out of garments that these rascals can't even be bothered to understand. (To wit: this sorry attempt at placing a gorgeous piece properly on a dress form. I love how these mostly clueless people are meant to represent the upper echelon of dealers.)

Trust me, I'm a shitty capitalist; I never wanted to be anything but. However, a general question for everyone? As eBay, etsy, everyone random vintage dealer's wares are at this point near-homogenous and overpriced, have I inadvertently contributed to screwing myself over permanently with my lefty-idealist aims of educating those who don't have access by posting so many images of some percentage of my collection? Are there design students or self-educators who are benefitting from studying the archives? Am I deluded in believing that I've had any influence in what dealers have sought out and purchased for resale in recent years? (To my eye, the hive mind has been uncanny in this act of homogenization.)

Taking photos for the archive takes up a tremendous amount of time. I'm now weighing the extent of my future contributions there. Any thoughts appreciated.

MBD
                    Banned.

I don't think it's you per se, but a general trend in new generation catching up on the old stuff. In menswear it has to do with crappers flexing with vintage that's lit (did I get the lingo right?), which drives the rich fuccbois to collect Raf and Helmut. Not sure what the deal in womenswear is. It could be propensity for owning something truly unique.

I was at a Vestoj discussion last week and someone was saying how consumers are so much more intelligent now. And I said that I don't think so - they are still sheep, driven by same imitative and aspirational impulses, just sheep with way more information at their finger tips than before.
                    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• ian+
                      • Dec 2011

Code:
                      Grails 135,368 Items
                      Hype   112,466 Items
                      Core   169,356 Items
                      the amount of items currently available on Grailed
                      ...bombing the bass, blasting the beat

Comment

• DudleyGray
                        • Jul 2013

^Grailed, you are now the Nordstrom Rack of used clothes, way to go.

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                        I was at a Vestoj discussion last week and someone was saying how consumers are so much more intelligent now. And I said that I don't think so - they are still sheep, driven by same imitative and aspirational impulses, just sheep with way more information at their finger tips than before.
                        People say that consumers are more informed now because of the internet, which in some sense I think is true, except that the big companies manipulate SEOs and metrics. What the consumers want to be informed about and the information that they get when they search for it, it's very filtered and cultivated. I can't remember the last time that I searched for something on Google and felt like the results were earnest. I think it's only going to get worse in that regard, as well.

Unrelated, I kind of wish By Walid had a stronger design sense. I had the pleasure of trying some of his stuff on, and the experience of the fabric is exceptional. I love the idea of wearing antique fabric not unlike the way I like the idea of drinking liquor that is older than me. It was almost enough to get me to pull the trigger, but it kind of fell flat when I considered the design and overall look. That and non-Rick is just a can of worms that I don't want to open.

Comment

• stagename
                          • Oct 2011

Regarding the archives, making a section of this website (or a new archival one) accessible only to verified members or members above a certain number of posts might address the issue raised by MBD, if I understood it correctly.

Comment

• Faust
                            kitsch killer
                            • Sep 2006

Yes, I root for him, but I am afraid this path is a bit of a dead-end proposition. There is only so much amazing vintage fabric. I think he knows that and he has been introducing some non-vintage fabrics.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Verdandi
                              • Mar 2012

I just stumbled upon the latest Helmut Lang collection. It may very well be that I am getting old and thus are forever biased towards Mr. Lang, but that was truly dreadful.
                              lavender menace

Comment

• Faust
                                kitsch killer
                                • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Verdandi View Post
                                I just stumbled upon the latest Helmut Lang collection. It may very well be that I am getting old and thus are forever biased towards Mr. Lang, but that was truly dreadful.
                                Words cannot describe its dread. Megaturbo dreadful, as Rick would say.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎