X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Anomie
    • Jan 2011

Sydney

I am heading to Sydney next week for NOMA Australia.

Any suggestions for art, design, music or vinyl stores.

My food itinerary is booked solid but would love to hear about coffee and unique ethnic places.
  • stereophobic
    • Aug 2009

Coffee - depends, whereabouts are you going to be staying?
    An object in possession seldom retains the same charm that it had in pursuit.

Comment

• khellick
      • Oct 2015

For music, you have Red Eye Records which has a decent collection. There is also Utopia Records which focuses on metal music. Both are located in the city, and sell vinyl records (Both first and second hand).

You also have Egg Records in Newtown, which is a second hang store focusing mainly on slightly older records. There are a few other music stores in Newtown, but I can't tell you about them off the top of my head.

Newtown is also pretty great in general for art and design. So I'd definitely spend some time looking around, as you'll probably see something you like.

Is there anything more specific that you are after?

Comment

• akkeri
        • Jul 2012

Hum Records in Newtown is my pick. A good general selection of new vinyl and CDs (emphasis on alternative and electronic) plus arthouse DVDs. There's also Title on Crown Street in Surry Hills which sells music, film, and books.

If you're in Newtown, Superfood Sushi is interesting and Vina has amazing Vietnamese. Both are vegan.

Lots of great coffee – help us narrow it down for you.

Comment

• stereophobic
          • Aug 2009

I'm honestly more curious as to what someone who specifically visits Sydney for Noma Australia would eat in Sydney outside of Noma during his/her stay though, do tell.

As for coffee, since I'm thinking you're staying within the CBD I'd go out on a limb and suggest Gumption, Cabrito, Edition Coffee Roasters, Kingswood, Paramount Coffee Project.

Comment

• Anomie
            • Jan 2011

Thanks for the suggestions. I am staying at the Old Clare Hotel. I have been for a day or so. I went to Edition Coffee Roasters this morning. The coffee and food were very good.

Sydney is an amazing food city, I will report back on where I eat.

Comment

• stereophobic
              • Aug 2009

How was your trip? Just today I was thinking that with the opening of Bar Brose and Hubert as well as the kitchen takeovers that Morgan McGlone (Melbourne's Belle's Hot Chicken) and Pinbone are doing, Sydney has been a great place to dine out.

Comment

• ahn
                • Jul 2012

Originally posted by Anomie View Post
                Thanks for the suggestions. I am staying at the Old Clare Hotel. I have been for a day or so. I went to Edition Coffee Roasters this morning. The coffee and food were very good.

Sydney is an amazing food city, I will report back on where I eat.
                Ah you say that not having been to Melbourne
                some do it fast, some do it better in smaller amounts.

Comment

• stereophobic
                  • Aug 2009

Originally posted by ahn View Post
                  Ah you say that not having been to Melbourne
                  I enjoy Melbourne dining just as much, I've got IDES, Lume and Estelle lined up for when I visit next month.

Comment

• ahn
                    • Jul 2012

Originally posted by stereophobic View Post
                    I enjoy Melbourne dining just as much, I've got IDES, Lume and Estelle lined up for when I visit next month.
                    I'm dining at Lume for the first time next Monday - very much looking forward to it. Also will recommend Minamishima if you like Japanese.

Comment

• stereophobic
                      • Aug 2009

Originally posted by ahn View Post
                      I'm dining at Lume for the first time next Monday - very much looking forward to it. Also will recommend Minamishima if you like Japanese.
                      I've been to Lume twice before and I rated the dego very highly stacked up against everything else in Melbourne. Do say hi for Alice and Nick for me.

Minamishima, been once and got way too drunk off the sake pairing, want to go again to apologize for being comatose

Comment

• ahn
                        • Jul 2012

I've been to Lume twice before and I rated the dego very highly stacked up against everything else in Melbourne. Do say hi for Alice and Nick for me.

Minamishima, been once and got way too drunk off the sake pairing, want to go again to apologize for being comatose
                        Ahaha oh my, I'm too much of a lightweight to take alcohol pairings during a degustation. I hope you were at least conscious enough to have enjoyed the food!

Comment

• stereophobic
                          • Aug 2009

How did you find Lume?

Comment

• ahn
                            • Jul 2012

How did you find Lume?
                            It was absolutely delightful! I loved the really unexpected elements in each dish... although I am coeliac, so I missed out on a couple of exciting things the others got such as the crumpet with eel honey and eel butter. But after 14 courses I was so full I genuinely thought I was going to cry as I forced myself to eat the cacao pod final dessert! I definitely left satisfied.

And completely un-food related, the music was exceptional. Smashing Pumpkins, Nirvana, PJ Harvey... it just took the experience to the next level for me.

I think we'll do IDES next, maybe for our anniversary later this year.

Comment

• TriggerDiscipline
                              • Apr 2013

any new reccs for sydney or even melb?

going this week!
                              Originally posted by unwashed
                              Try to use a phone camera in broad daylight or use a proper camera.
                              Originally posted by Ahimsa
                              I've found it extremely pleasant and enthralling over repeated whiffs so I would highly recommend.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎