Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • safeword123
    • Jul 2008

well, the song and the cage like mask are factual statements in her article, i think her interpretation of these facts is indeed her opinion which is subjective, and likely formed upon her experience, perspective, beliefs, etc. she never claims it factual. i don't see why she can't be entitled to feel ill about it as much as some feel good. besides, she gave plenty of credit to RO's design.

i'd like to hear why people find this to be so empowering to women. but then that would be just an opinion, an interpretation of facts and subjective. mankind draw vastly different opinions based on exact same set of facts. instead of focusing on the difference, maybe it would be more constructive if we could try to understand each other's perspective.

Comment

• Hiddenaway
      • Jan 2012

Originally posted by safeword123 View Post
      well, the song and the cage like mask are factual statements in her article, i think her interpretation of these facts is indeed her opinion which is subjective, and likely formed upon her experience, perspective, beliefs, etc. she never claims it factual. i don't see why she can't be entitled to feel ill about it as much as some feel good. besides, she gave plenty of credit to RO's design.

i'd like to hear why people find this to be so empowering to women. but then that would be just an opinion, an interpretation of facts and subjective. mankind draw vastly different opinions based on exact same set of facts. instead of focusing on the difference, maybe it would be more constructive if we could try to understand each other's perspective.
      Yes, totally. But that is why I think her pointed article is a bit harsh or yet, not very well thought out.
      This quote in particular; "The most memorable aspect of Owens’s Fall 2012 runway show was...What’s his beef with women?"
      Given that she feels strongly about journalists gathering information to have some kind of context when writing an article, to then form an opinion, based on facts, she disregards that when writing this. Honestly, no matter how she felt during the presentation, it would have been cleared up in moments given a brief description from Rick (or she could've just watched style.com's video). But she chose to write about the show, with no context, no explanation from the designer, just her own feelings on what she saw. It just seems a bit quick on the draw.
      I guess I just hate to see a rather good journalist put out drivel like this because she had a 'feeling' about it. It's really no better than any of the bloggers she claims to be poor journalists/writers/whatever just write, "OMG soooo good, I love (insert designers name here)!!!"

Comment

• BSR
        • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Faust View Post
        Right on, cjbreed. Gavaji, what the fuck is wrong with you lately?
        i'm afraid there is no 'lately' re gavagai, his project has constantly been to blindly apply his propositional logic course to SZ posts. and to insult anyone who discards this program as foolish.

beginner logician + redneck behavior = avant-garde troll
        pix

Originally posted by Fuuma
        Fuck you and your viewpoint, I hate this depoliticized environment where every opinion should be respected, no matter how moronic. My avatar was chosen just for you, die in a ditch fucker.

Comment

• BSR
          • Aug 2008

there is no problem with prop logic of course, it's its irrelevant use that confines to grotesque, in a Ionesco fashion if you see what i mean. plus this guy has nothing to say apart from 'show me a valid argument' and totally inept insults (it's the first time since maybe elementary school someone calls me a blockhead or whatever ). sometimes i really wonder who is behind the screen, especially when people stay away from the waywt...
          pix

Fuck you and your viewpoint, I hate this depoliticized environment where every opinion should be respected, no matter how moronic. My avatar was chosen just for you, die in a ditch fucker.

Comment

• BSR
            • Aug 2008

and Rilu, to give you a better and more scholar-like answer, a proper formal analysis of real life arguments and discussion is not something easy, since their logical structure is not entirely available at first sight, most of the time (some premises are not made explicit in ordinary conversations, otherwise they would be unbearable to follow and would last forever). gavagai's strategy, to focus on the apparent logical form of other people's discourse shows his lack of understanding of both the usual conversation rules (paging Grice and the like), and the purpose of formal logic.
            pix

Comment

• gavagai
              • May 2010

Originally posted by BSR View Post
              i'm afraid there is no 'lately' re gavagai, his project has constantly been to blindly apply his propositional logic course to SZ posts. and to insult anyone who discards this program as foolish.

beginner logician + redneck behavior = avant-garde troll
              BSR, you entered a thread, failed to even discuss one detail of the article being discussed and instead claim that I am the one throwing insults?

Your posts below regarding logic are completely and utterly inaccurate.

"gavagai's strategy, to focus on the apparent logical form of other people's discourse shows his lack of understanding of both the usual conversation rules (paging Grice and the like), and the purpose of formal logic."

Its funny BSR, you make bold claims and statements and never back them up with an argument or evidence. It is the same in every thread we have disagreed.Your statement above is beyond laughable.

What is your argument? I don't know what i'm talking about therefore you are right?

Comment

• BSR
                • Aug 2008

just for the sake of fun:

-An insult is an expression considered as offensive.
                -In general, telling someone to 'go fuck him/herself' is considered as offensive.
                -So, in general, telling someone to 'go fuck him/herself' is considered an insult.
                -the member 'gavagai' on the Stylezeitgeist forum has told the member 'fuuma' the following:
                Originally posted by gavagai View Post
                Fuuma go fuck yourself.
                -then, according to the 3 premises above, we can say the member 'gavagai' is insulting member 'fuuma'

BTW i could quote your last post and say 'QET'. I really hope someday you'll post a waywt or anything personal beyond your askings for arguments, so that i have an idea of who is behind his screen...
                pix

Comment

• gavagai
                  • May 2010

Originally posted by Fuuma View Post
                  And at least 352 poorly thought out posts available on this forum...
                  BSR, can't you let Fuuma fight his own fights? He replied to my post by acting like a child and i told him to go fuck himself. Yes, it is an insult and was clearly intended as one.

Why don't you at least pretend you are on topic here?

Comment

• Fuuma
                    • Sep 2006

BSR, can't you let Fuuma fight his own fights? He replied to my post by acting like a child and i told him to go fuck himself. Yes, it is an insult and was clearly intended as one.

Why don't you at least pretend you are on topic here?
                    357!!!!!!
                    Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
                    http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Comment

• Faust
                      kitsch killer
                      • Sep 2006

/\ lol.

gavaji, fair warning.
                      Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• michael_kard
                        • Oct 2010

That deliberate misspelling gets me every time.

I don't have the means to contribute to the analytical/logical deduction debate but I must say I have been confused by the sheer obstinacy and aggression of gavagai's posts, and that was from way before he started flirting with me. So unjustifiably negative, all the time.
                        ENDYMA / Archival fashion & Consignment
                        Helmut Lang 1986-2005 | Ann Demeulemeester | Raf Simons | Burberry Prorsum | and more...

Comment

• christianef
                          • Feb 2009

Originally posted by zamb View Post
                          Man we don't have to get so test about this man

What I would like to see, is someone intelligently and intellectually refute her perspective without taking disrespectful and personal swipes at her.......I do not agree with her perspective, but indeed I can understand where she is coming from, and instead of talking crap lets see someone show her she is talking garbage by putting up a sound argument.....
                          rick puts men in heels, wedges, skirts, over-long tunics, haltertops etc he doesnt hate women if anything he wants to be one. the cage is made from what looks like paper thin soft ass cashmere, at many points its connected with a single piece of yarn, i find nothing especially submissive about something soft and warm that a child could rip to shreds with its baby teeth. the song is a rap song by a gay black dude. every rap song ever has the word bitch in it. if u hang out with a gay black dude for 5 minutes theyll say the word bitch a billion times because its hood bitch. its cultural rick is trying to prove he's not a racist bigot and embrace the culture. i dont think rick hates women anymore than robin hates gay black men cashmere and rap.

Comment

• Sombre
                            • Jan 2009

BSR, you entered a thread, failed to even discuss one detail of the article being discussed and instead claim that I am the one throwing insults?

Your posts below regarding logic are completely and utterly inaccurate.

"gavagai's strategy, to focus on the apparent logical form of other people's discourse shows his lack of understanding of both the usual conversation rules (paging Grice and the like), and the purpose of formal logic."

Its funny BSR, you make bold claims and statements and never back them up with an argument or evidence. It is the same in every thread we have disagreed.Your statement above is beyond laughable.

What is your argument? I don't know what i'm talking about therefore you are right?
                            I'm sorry, but BSR is right. It's like you use a template to post. The fact that you did this unintentionally right after BSR outlined what that template is makes your post all the more hilarious. Natural language is not logical. You can make certain logical inferences based on people's utterances, but language as a whole does not work like that.

Your post was so formulaic that I wonder if you're a sophisticated NLP program that generates posts as long as you're fed certain key words.

And yes, I know my post was also off topic.
                            An artist is not paid for his labor, but for his vision. - James Whistler

Originally posted by BBSCCP
                            I order 1 in every size, please, for every occasion

Comment

• TheThief
                              • Mar 2011

I think 3/4's of this thread is off-topic. Robin Givhan is a self-important critic who dresses like this (see below) and critiques fashion. Also important to note, having a pulitzer should not make one exempt from being called out on nonsense.

And let's face it, as one commenter correctly noted, Miuccia dressed her SS12 runway in garments straight out of the days when women were relegated to the home. Should we say Miuccia hates women? To say a designer has a "beef" with women because of his soundtrack and choice of accessories is a ludicrous approach to critiquing a collection and I'm not suprised she did so without any further insight or investigation into the meaning of the song or influence behind Rick's collection.

Last edited by TheThief; 03-10-2012, 10:44 PM.

Comment

• CHRIS
                                Banned
                                • Dec 2006

Originally posted by christianef View Post
                                gay black dude
                                UM WOW

the correct phrase is 'homosexual african american man'

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎